Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
It was wonderful, I updated on a thread called "wish me luck". I am driving out on September 20th at 5 a.m. Little did I know that El Paso to Dallas is a whopping 12 hours . But good thing my friend's mom knew so she was so nice as to book us a hotel in el paso so we can rest a night and then knock out the 12 hours the next day. I was thinking once we hit TX piece of cake!
Not trying to be flip here, but it's a good idea to take a look at the map before driving so far. Make sure your car is prepared and you bring a cooler in the car with ice and plenty of drinking water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Not trying to be flip here, but it's a good idea to take a look at the map before driving so far. Make sure your car is prepared and you bring a cooler in the car with ice and plenty of drinking water.
El Paso to Dallas is a long trip, but you can break it up with some rest stops.

The town of Pecos is pretty dead, but it does have an interesting history museum in an old saloon and hotel.

Monahans has a state park built around a formation of sand dunes, somewhat like White Sands in New Mexico. You rent a sort of sled and go sliding down the dunes.

Odessa has a museum based on the lives of the US presidents. It also has a reproduction of the Globe theater from Shakespeare's london.

Midland has a pretty good petroleum geology museum. It also has a huge museum filled with WW II and later era aircraft. It used to be called the Confederate Air Force, and is now called the Commemorative Air Force.

The town of Big Spring has a state park close to the highway. The remarkable thing about it is that the park is at the summit of a huge hill, in otherwise flat country. You drive up it and view the countryside from several hundred feet in the air.

Abilene has a good small zoo and a first rate history museum, with audio visual displays as good as you see in Disney World. There are holographic images of characters describing life on the plains, first-rate presentations of a lot of things. It's called Frontier Texas. The town has an OK downtown.

Somewhere east of Abilene, you're going to go down into the North Texas Hill country. The countryside becomes rugged...

Have a good trip.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:48 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Thanks but I am a bit experienced at driving long distances. We just hadn't got to the point of getting info and a map from AAA yet before her mom told us how long that stretch was . We weren't going to just jump in the car and go.
Maybe rb4browns you should try posing a question to a post to get the facts instead of assuming one statement points out the entire picture .

Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
El Paso to Dallas is a long trip, but you can break it up with some rest stops.

The town of Pecos is pretty dead, but it does have an interesting history museum in an old saloon and hotel.

Monahans has a state park built around a formation of sand dunes, somewhat like White Sands in New Mexico. You rent a sort of sled and go sliding down the dunes.

Odessa has a museum based on the lives of the US presidents. It also has a reproduction of the Globe theater from Shakespeare's london.

Midland has a pretty good petroleum geology museum. It also has a huge museum filled with WW II and later era aircraft. It used to be called the Confederate Air Force, and is now called the Commemorative Air Force.

The town of Big Spring has a state park close to the highway. The remarkable thing about it is that the park is at the summit of a huge hill, in otherwise flat country. You drive up it and view the countryside from several hundred feet in the air.

Abilene has a good small zoo and a first rate history museum, with audio visual displays as good as you see in Disney World. There are holographic images of characters describing life on the plains, first-rate presentations of a lot of things. It's called Frontier Texas. The town has an OK downtown.

Somewhere east of Abilene, you're going to go down into the North Texas Hill country. The countryside becomes rugged...

Have a good trip.
Thanks aceplace! I know her mom got us a room at a Holiday Inn near the airport in El Paso. When I get my trip planner from AAA I know it will have some of the rest points. It's been a while since I needed to get one but I remember it being pretty helpful. Plus we get to put a Garmin GPS to
use. I am the type that just likes to drive and get it over with, but I know it will be more fun to just take our time and sight see a bit.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
It's definitely good to hear that the DFW area is doing really good compared to some areas right now. It doesn't surprise me at all that we topped the job growth since there is many companies relocating to the DFW area.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
My advice from being in El Paso several times: Drive VERY, VERY carefully. This area has the worst drivers in Texas. I've heard most border towns have the same issue.

It may be a little bit longer of a drive, but coming across I-40 is a much more interesting drive. You have the Petrified Forrest and Painted Desert, Flagstaff, AZ and Albuquerque, NM. When you get into the Panhandle and get into Amarillo, you then get off of I-40 and take TX-287 South-East, through Wichita Fall and then at Decatur, take I-380 into Denton, then take I-35E into Dallas. It's a prettier drive and less crazy drivers...

Old 08-31-2008, 07:53 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
It was wonderful, I updated on a thread called "wish me luck". I am driving out on September 20th at 5 a.m. Little did I know that El Paso to Dallas is a whopping 12 hours . But good thing my friend's mom knew so she was so nice as to book us a hotel in el paso so we can rest a night and then knock out the 12 hours the next day. I was thinking once we hit TX piece of cake!
Good, glad your visit was successful. I read on "wish me luck" that you chose Valley Ranch. You made a good choice, it's a decent landing point for someone new to the Dallas area.

We drove from Vegas to Dallas a few months ago, so I'm somewhat familier with the journey you're about to embark on. Wasn't bad, I soaked in the desert scenery. The good thing is that in late Sept the weather will be cooler. Be safe.

Last edited by First24; 08-31-2008 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 PM

BBQgritz, yeah felt reallly good in the area of VR as soon as I got there. Not much on nightlife as far as having to be out every wknd. Guess I'm getting old!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
When you get into the Panhandle and get into Amarillo, you then get off of I-40 and take TX-287 South-East, through Wichita Fall and then at Decatur, take I-380 into Denton, then take I-35E into Dallas. It's a prettier drive and less crazy drivers...
This is the way we went to Santa Fe/Taos this summer. The drive from Dallas to Amarillo is a long one on 287, but it's a nice drive and plenty of little towns to stop along the way for gas or bathroom break. And of course, plenty of Sonics if you're hungry or thirsty :-)

I-40 moves quite well from New Mexico to Amarillo, we made great time on that stretch, NM has their speed limit at 75 rather than 70.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Hot Industries Keep Dallas-Fort Worth Employment Outlook Bright (http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews+articleid_2565808.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas