Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

Here is the info straight from the Garland PD website

Interesting Statistics For 2005

There were a total of 142,255 calls for service in 2005.

The top five calls for service were:

Disturbances
Alarms
Suspicious Activity
Domestic Calls
Accidents

Patrol Units made 28,932 traffic stops in 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,155 times
Smile Moving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordynk View Post
Hello all.....

So imagine this, my wife and I are relocating to Texas from California...we are probably the first people to do this. Just Kidding.

What can anyone tell me about the Rockwall or Garland Areas? We are probably looking to move around the 1st of July, and from what I have been told Rockwall is nicer than Garland. We are just looking for a nice house, in a nice community...with schools and shopping that I would feel comfortable with my wife and daughter going to. My wife is scared about the humidity, but she is willing to deal with anything if it means staying home to raise our daughter, who just turned 3 months old. Any input would be great....thank you in advance for your time.

Gordy
Congratulations on your new born. You and your family will learn to love Texas. Please give the area (2) years for an accurate assessment of the area. People are friendly and the weather is nice year round. We are building a home in Rockwall and will be selling our home in Rowlett (between Rockwall and Garland) about the same time frame you will be moving to Texas. We are currently in a 2677 sq. ft. single story, (4) bedroom, (3) bath, 2.5 car garage with a pool.
Please contact me if you have any desire to discuss.
Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

JD

Old 01-04-2007, 06:19 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
Where do you live and enjoy in CA and I will tell you where you will probably live and enjoy here.

I say this because I see way too many Californians come out here fantasizing about the country life, then end up hating it because they miss the Starbucks or Super Target on the corner or hates that the nieghbor calls them a Yank or thinks they are weird because they don't go to church.

Seriously, what you think is country coming from CA, is not comparable to country here. Even attitudes are different towards Californians as you get that far removed from the city.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Honestly it depends on what you are used to. We just moved here from the suburbs of Richmond, VA and we're used to nice well groomed neighborhoods and newer shopping areas... but with a little room to grow. Sachse was a good fit for us, with Firewheel right around the corner.

When we venture into Garland, even though the crime rate is pretty low, I don't see anything that makes me want to stop the car and explore. Unless I want to go to the Mexican butcher before I fire up the grill, I can't think of a reason to head into most of Garland.

Plano is ok... can't see why people think it's affluent, a lot of the homes I see are just ok. Most of the actual nice homes in the area that I have seen are in Fairview or Lucas... and some nice homes near Rockwall as well. Richardson by Renner Rd and Murphy Rd has some really nice neighborhoods too.

You just have to visit the area and see what fits.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 35,599 times
Look up the "Woodcreek" subdivision in Rockwall. A new development, very residential and suburban, actually in the city of Fate but on the very edge of Rockwall. Awesome new community, we just moved here, HOA dues, nice pool with a splash park for small toddlers, an elementary school going up, workout rooms; lots of house for the money. There are lots of people in this neighborhood and the Shores who have moved from California. Both communities are great for families, esp. with stay-home moms.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:57 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,324 times
"Where do you live and enjoy in CA"

That's the point. We don't enjoy it here in CA. That's why we want out. I come from the midwest and I am tired of CA. Can't wait to be where rain falls for the season are more than 1" if you're lucky.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 13,356 times
Default you're a moron

the area of chaha road is not only crime free for the most part but i happen to atlk frquently to officers who patrol the area/. i guarantee that the area that immediately surounds chaha like bay island,etc is ,yes ,a very low crime area compared to any other part of garland and most of dallas. burglaries and theft crimes in general rarley occur here/. sounds like you my friend probably live in the area of 635 and ferguson road..a REAL ghetto!!!

the complex i live in enforces the rules ///people don't wander around after 10pm,boomcars don't drive through the lot all hours of the night and crime?? not here...and i happen to know that rockwall is also a very low crime area/.

i'd love to know where in hell you morons who say differently get your facts/.

i've lived here for 4 years/...and hey talk to garland police officers as to how the crime(or lack of) stacks up in this area as opposed to anywhere else in garland..to say that this is the worst area(here around bass pro)is totally absurd and it sounds to me as though some people have a problem with this area,possibally because cause ..well..who knows? maybe they were evicted from their apartment for not wanting to follow rules or for breaking the law themselves/ i don't know/

women walk their dogs in this area as early as 2 and 3 and 4am alone,because of the fact it's so crime free/.

in fact it's a common sight to see females jogging and walking their dogs in the wee hours because it IS so safe here/.

anybody who reads any posts here that claim that the bass pro / chaha road area is high in crime ,don't believe it!! it just means somebody has an axe to grind!!

you know most peopel who 've lived in ghettos for so long eventually get used that lifestyle so when they move into another ghetto it's just another (normal) place to live/.

sounds to me like some of these people posting would probably consider ghetto areas like woodmeadow pky in dallas a decent place to live simply cause they don't know any..

'better./

bwah'hahahahahahahahahahaha---

Old 12-11-2007, 07:08 PM

my comment above was for the person that claimed that the chaha road/bass pro area is crime laden..he's obviously mentally challenged

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMMRH View Post
my comment above was for the person that claimed that the chaha road/bass pro area is crime laden..he's obviously mentally challenged
I'm a "she" re the reference to "mom" and NO I am not "a moron" I'm just a LOT more informed and aware of the city which is PLAINLY obvious. LOL!!! Where on earth does one live in Garland along I-30 and be w/in a block or two walking to Rockwall? LOL!!! That just cracks me up. As for the "crime", please. I know the P.D. and that area is INDEED full of crime. Just look at the statistics that don't lie. And no, I've NEVER lived there and don't have "an axe grind", lol.

Nice of ya to join back into the conversation after a years absence.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Yes, You're Moron

i hang out with several officers regularly..not only do they claim that this area is the most peaceful at night but that the area is the least of their concerns regarding crime/.
i say leave it up to people that are interested in this area--
when i mentioned i lived a block from rockwall,i actually meant mile..i had to leave my pc and typed block instead of mile.. i'd been talking to my girllfriend about the fact that i had to leave the pc to walk the dog around the block,so i guess that's why i typed block inadvertantly..and for someone to focus on that error,basing it on my character is something i expect from someone who has a macho ,cocky attitude about himself/.
anyone can request info about this area from the police. the poster claiming that this area is so crime spurratic came off like a a smartass to begin with which ought to indicate to posters that he's got some kind of a problem. as i said,this area is well thought of by the pd and two officers live on the property here/.

they're extremely happy living here and they make it very clear that this area isn't riddles with crime..in fact it's obvious if you live here that it's relatively crime free/.

in any case,anybody interested in this area(chaha road/bass pro area)can request information from the garland pd/. i'm not going to continue to attempt to justify what i say is true by arguing wuth that one idiot poster.
his attempt at seeming cynically humorous(by typing LOL, and claiming how funny my comments are,etc)is an attempt by that poster to sound convincing
i was attempting to give some credible information about this area and that poster came off as a smartass from the beginning..this indicates a problem that he/she seems to have..i'm 53 years old,have lived in this area for over 4 years.

as i said..check with the local pd about this area if you're interested in the place..don't merely on this other poster who seems so opposed to the place/.

the person comes off like a cocky smartass

i believeg that the poster was angry about what i said about garland to begin with iin my first post. this area is extrmely nice with townhomes as well as apartments /. families and singles live in this area and some of the apartments are right alongside the lake/.

as i said, you can request info of the local PD/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas