Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times

Advertisements

Yea but you could compare us to Houston - and we come out way ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I find it hilarious that someone who has never lived in the NYC area has the audacity to try and even THINK that Dallas comes close to the 5 boroughs in terms of public transportation and liveability w/o a car. That is just false, delusional and myopic.
Who is the one that thinks so? I haven't heard from him on that subject.

Personally, I don't think that 656 miles of heavy rail in NYC is equal to 44 miles of LRRT in Dallas.

Maybe you've been grindin' your gears, Grindin?

Last edited by aceplace; 09-17-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
Do you have any idea when the above so called projects will happen?
The DFW rail plan extends all the way to 2030. Still 22 years behind. In 22 years many cities that are already superior to DFW crappy public transport will be years ahead. DFW is trying to play catchup to the public transport. Way too late. Better than nothing, I will give it to that
Sure.

2009 - Green Line to Fair Park
2010 - Green Line to Carrollton
2010 - DCTA to Lewisville
2011 - Orange Line to Las Colinas
2012 - Blue Line to Rowlett
2012 - Orange Line to Belt Line, Irving
2013 - Orange line to DFW
2013 - DCTA to Denton
2013 - DFW to SW Fort Worth
2014 - Second line in DTN Dallas
2015 - Blue Line to 635
2018 - spur to Dallas Intermodal Center

The Dallas expansion constitutes the largest transit project in the US. About 5 years from now, the Dallas DART Rail system will have about as much trackage as Boston's urban rail lines... Red, Orange, Blue, Green.

By 2013, DART will have 95 miles of track, an additional 25 miles of commuter rail to Denton, 45 miles (or so) to Fort Worth, giving the region about 100 miles of commuter rail. Adding 45 miles of Light Rail in 5 years is a major achievement. As is adding 70 miles of commuter rail in the same time period.

No, I don't see any major expansoions in Boston, Philadelphia, and just the DC expansion to Dulles... maybe, maybe not. Boston was lucky to find enough money to put in bus rapid transit a few years ago for their Silver line, now they have to rehab major portions of their existing system. Philadelphia is going nowhere on expansion. DC is trying to find several billions to expand to Dulles... good luck. Chicago doesn't have the money to even buy additional railcars, so they're ripping out seats so more people can stand up.

Other systems with expansions comparable to Dallas are LA, and to some extent Denver. LA will maybe expand the Gold line from Pasadena to East LA, and will try to extend an LRRT line south of I10 from downtown to Culver City. They'd like to extend their subway from Western and Wilshire to Santa Monica, but they can't find 4 or 5 billion to do it.

Last edited by aceplace; 09-17-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 PM

175 posts, read 404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Sure.

2009 - Green Line to Fair Park
2010 - Green Line to Carrollton
2010 - DCTA to Lewisville
2011 - Orange Line to Las Colinas
2012 - Blue Line to Rowlett
2012 - Orange Line to Belt Line, Irving
2013 - Orange line to DFW
2013 - DCTA to Denton
2013 - DFW to SW Fort Worth
2014 - Second line in DTN Dallas
2015 - Blue Line to 635
2018 - spur to Dallas Intermodal Center

The Dallas expansion constitutes the largest transit project in the US. Within the next 5 years, the Dallas DART Rail system will have about as much trackage as Boston's urban rail lines... Red, Orange, Blue, Green.

Laughable.

http://www.dart.org/2030plan/DART2030PlanJan2007.pdf

Here is the Dallas 2030 plan.
A completely laughable plan at most.
Page 27 has all the planned rail lines.
A completely laughable extension, and what blows is that they will do this in the next 22 years. In 22 years if this is all they can do, well they blow.

The green line is already in construction and goes only to Carrolton. The red line is currently at 75 corridor. What will the people in between 35 and 75 do? Is that what they call public transport?

The new line to be built, did not start but will one day is the orange line.
That is it.
No new lines will be built!
Only one orange line - one freaking rail line. That is all.
All the other projects are extensions to the current rail.
Except the orange line, and a proposed express rail from East Plano to Addison to Airport. Who knows when they will get that done. And what will happen to those in Frisco, Allen, Denton, McKinney, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Lewisville, Forth Worth etc etc etc.

Laughable at best! Laughable.

1 new line to be built.
1 propsed express lane.
3 extensions to existing lines.
All in the next 22 years, pricelessly laughable.

According to the 2030 plan in the DART website there is no rail extension to Denton at all. There is no new rail to Forth Worth at all. There is no rail planned for Lewisville at all.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The green line is already in construction and goes only to Carrolton. The red line is currently at 75 corridor. What will the people in between 35 and 75 do? Is that what they call public transport?
The DCTA rail line will continue past Carrollton to Denton, and by 2014 will travel between Denton and downtown Dallas. The people between 35 and 75 will travel on a rail line between DFW airport, Carrollton, Addison and Plano, the Cotton Belt Line.

Quote:
According to the 2030 plan in the DART website there is no rail extension to Denton at all. There is no new rail to Forth Worth at all. There is no rail planned for Lewisville at all.
That's because other transit agencies are building those lines. The Fort Worth T is building the DFW airport to southwest Fort Worth rail line, the DCTA is building the Carrollton to Lewisville to Denton rail line, Frisco, Carrollton and Irving are teaming to build the Frisco rail line, and the city of Dallas is planning an extensive streetcar system on the central Dallas surface streets. MATA is building an extension toward the Pearl Street station, and the OCTA is planning a streetcar line between downtown Dallas and Oak Cliff.

In addition, there will be a new DART rail line due west toward Grand Prairie, another new DART rail line due east toward Mesquite.

Any rail between McKinney and Plano will be up to the people of Collin county. If they want to create a transit agency to build a line, they will. Collin county north of Plano is outside of DART's jurisdiction.

Are you sure you know enough about rail in North Texas to have an opinion? Doesn't look like it to me. You don't know how many transit agencies there are, you don't know what their plans are, you don't know which cities do and do not belong to DART.

It should be obvious to everyone that the Dallas-Fort Worth transit projects are essentially the largest expansion of rail transit in the United States.

Last edited by aceplace; 09-17-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
The DCTA will go past Carrollton to Denton. The people between 35 and 75 will travel on a line between Carrollton, Addison and Plano.

That's because other transit agencies are building those lines. The Fort Worth T is building the DFW to FW line, the DCTA is building the Dallas to Denton line, and Frisco, Carrollton and Irving are teaming to build the Frisco line.

In addition, there will be a new line due west toward Grand Prairie, another new line due east toward Mesquite.

Are you sure you know enough about rail in North Texas to have an opinion? Doesn't look like it to me. You don't know how many transit authorities there are, you don't know what their plans are, you don't know which cities do and do not belong to DART
Yes I have heard about the Fort Worth Project. Yes I would have to agree with your assessment.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
No offense but grindin is right DFW traffic is still a mess and lacks a regional commuter rail lines. To compare NYC to DFW is down right foolish. Yes the city of Dallas has made great strives but that only accounts for a healthy chunk of the metro area. Grindin my brother I undersand exactly where u comin from. Until I see lines runnin through the city of Fort Worh in all direction, through the central suburbs of Arlington, Irvin, and Grandpraire, The Northern suburbs of Hurst, Euless bedford, plano, Denton, Southlake, Keller, Mckinney, Mesquite, Farmersbranch, Frisco the southern suburbs of Crowley, Forest Hill, Burleson, Mansfield, Kenenadale, Desoto, Cederhill, Lancaster Seagoville, and all other DFW communites back into the heart of Dallas than we can make this comparsion.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
No offense but grindin is right DFW traffic is still a mess and lacks a regional commuter rail lines. To compare NYC to DFW is down right foolish. Yes the city of Dallas has made great strives but that only accounts for a healthy chunk of the metro area. Grindin my brother I undersand exactly where u comin from. Until I see lines runnin through the city of Fort Worh in all direction, through the central suburbs of Arlington, Irvin, and Grandpraire, The Northern suburbs of Hurst, Euless bedford, plano, Denton, Southlake, Keller, Mckinney, Mesquite, Farmersbranch, Frisco the southern suburbs of Crowley, Forest Hill, Burleson, Mansfield, Kenenadale, Desoto, Cederhill, Lancaster Seagoville, and all other DFW communites back into the heart of Dallas than we can make this comparsion.
I'll ask again... who is equating the DFW area, at 6.5 million people, to metro New York at 18 million? I certainly don't. Are you creating a straw man in order to argue with it?

I guess if you make up both sides of an argument, you can win it.

Last edited by aceplace; 09-17-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM

175 posts, read 404,996 times
Quote:
I'll ask again... who is equating the DFW area, at 6.5 million people, to metro New York at 18 million? I certainly don't. Are you creating a straw man in order to argue with it?

I guess if you make up both sides of an argument, you can win it.

You have been doing that, trying to compare or similarize NYC public transport to Dallas.
With your own words you have said the following;

Quote:
Dallas has a public transportation system as well, NYC has a few buses.
Claiming NYC has a few buses. WAHAHAHAHAA. You need to be laughed at.
Quote:

Actually, much of New York city, in the outer borough areas and Staten Island, a car is a better choice. Truly, Manhattan, inner Brooklyn, inner Queens, those areas are pretty transit intensive, but Dallas' central core is also transit intensive.
You were comparing the NYC to Dallas. Unf...believable.
Dallas' central core is transit intensive like NYC?
Wahahahahaha

If I lived in Brooklyn and wanted to go to Manhattan, Queens, Harlem, Downtown, Midtwon etc I don't ever need a car. Can do it very easily. Don't have to walk more than a couple of blocks. On the other hand if I lived in most parts of Dallas and wanted to go to Downtown or to Stemmons Freeway or to Victory Park etc, I will be walking many blocks on top of trying to find a bus that will take me to awkward places just so that I can take another bus and then continue walking.

And if you did have enough knowledge about other cities but Dallas, you would be able to compare NYC of 4 boroughs with a population of more than 8.5 million to DFW with a population of only 6 million people.

City of Dallas in its existence with 1.2 million people can not even come close to the public transport that many other cities offer. Forget about NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC. Dallas is not even close to the public transport that European cities or the Canadian cities offer with similar or smaller populations.

YOU need to accept the fact that public transport in Dallas blows big time.
Plain and simple as that. Stating that there is nothing wrong with DFW public transport is plain simple living in denial.

This is an excessively car dependant city. Plain and simple.

It is a shame of DFW, one of the largest metroplexes in the USA. Dallas has around 42miles of light rail,

Baltimore, much smaller city has 30 miles
Denver, smaller city 40 miles
Pittsburg, 25 miles
Portland, much smaller city, 43 miles
Scaramento, much smaller city 40 miles
St Louis, smaller city 42 miles
San Diego, 51 miles
Santa Clara County 42 miles

Plain and simple, Dallas should have a much much better public transport system, considering its wast resources, cash rich businesses, new availability of planning, population etc. But at this stage public transport blows in Dallas, and with their crappy future plans not much improvement will be seen.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Plain and simple, Dallas should have a much much better public transport system, considering its wast resources, cash rich businesses, new availability of planning, population etc. But at this stage public transport blows in Dallas, and with their crappy future plans not much improvement will be seen.
I think that going from 44 to 95 miles of rail in just 4 or 5 years is a major step.

I think your attitude is pretty much insane, and I don't see any reason to indulge you further. Goodbye, Zatires. Go fly around some other belfry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas