Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

I told him in the Houston forum that Texas ain't gonna change for him.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
The only people I like here are those that are from other places. THATS IT! im always having a great time with people that arent from Dallas areas. Why? Like I said; Im just not a Texasy person and the people here are still conservative, mediocre, and just complicated. Its so frustrating!

Oh well I'll try to make the best out of it while I'm here; who cares.
Let me attempt to crack the vast intellectual nerve center that is the mind of UrbaneAspects. Did the fact that you were moving to Dallas, TEXAS not give you a clue either time that it may be Texasy here?

Since I last responded to you I have become a self proclaimed Zen Master; seriously... Get help. You come across as someone who needs guidance beyond message board feedback.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
I liked Galleria/Addison.tollway areas. It looked urban like; and now I go there atleast once or twice a week. I went downtown and of course as I mentioned is one of the few areas of DFW I actually like.

I also have gone to some other areas like west dallas, irving, and other areas.

But you didn't make it to "the real Dallas" as in my area?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times
Quote:
well if im angry about something; Im not going to just keep it to myself; I am going to say exactly how I feel.
That's certainly a winning strategy. I'm sure the world would be a super-great place if everyone did this. Kinda like having the world run by toddlers.

Just FYI-- In Dallas, pretty much nobody will tell you exactly how they feel unless you really tick them off. They'll try to play nice and smooth things over. It's called southern hospitality. If you really want to tell people something bad about someone learn to end your diatribe with the phrase 'god bless [his/her/their] heart(s).' You'll fit in better.

Quote:
I'm sure there are other people who would agree with the way people here are. I'm not insulting anyone; if people here are consevative and mediocre then so be it!
What does being conservative have to do with being mediocre? I think the problem you're running into is that you're stating something obvious with something insulting and then saying "but I didn't mean it". That makes no sense. Most of the people who live in the south (Florida included except for a few counties) are pretty conservative. It's just the way that it is.

That doesn't make them mediocre. I didn't always like Dallas at times, but I wouldn't say that the people there are mediocre. They're people like anywhere else.

Quote:
I had a friend here tell me Miami food is boring and spiceless...So be it! I told the person off but I didnt say, "well dont go back down to Miami".
What if your friend had said that Miami food is boring and spiceless, and the people there are mediocre (meaning you)? Think.

Quote:
I say these things not to offend the locals...
Yes you do. I'm not even a local of Dallas anymore, and I'm offended.

Quote:
...but to give an idea of how I feel about people here.
That makes no sense. You're trolling.

Quote:
In Florida there is this 'stigma' about Texas...which is similar to what I have mentioned. Do you really want the rest of the country thinking of this place as mediocre and conservative-bent?
Oddly enough, Texas has a 'stigma' about Florida too, but you don't see people throwing that onto the forum. This isn't group therapy.

Quote:
If not; hear out people's bitching from NY, Cali, or wherever else people have come here from instead of shutting off your Listening Ears thinking that this place is an oasis!
I don't think people really want to hear out people's 'bitching' about where they have chosen to make their lives. If you have some constructive criticism that's one thing, but walking into someone's home and proclaiming that their stuff sucks and that they're mediocre, and then wondering why you got tossed out on your ear, well... no amount of forum posts will address that.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM

28 posts, read 67,156 times
My marketing company has taken me to cities all over the US. One of my favorite places to visit is the Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ area! It seems as though everyone there has moved there from another state and are always looking to meet new people. The shopping, entertainment, and nightlife are all amazing as well I would go for it.. NYC is THE coolest city (in my opinion), but can be overwhelming and intimidating. Good luck to you in making your decision

Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTEX08 View Post
My marketing company has taken me to cities all over the US. One of my favorite places to visit is the Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ area! It seems as though everyone there has moved there from another state and are always looking to meet new people. The shopping, entertainment, and nightlife are all amazing as well I would go for it.. NYC is THE coolest city (in my opinion), but can be overwhelming and intimidating. Good luck to you in making your decision
The only decision that Moderator cut: guy has to make is to figure out why he has a compulsion to antagonize people.

If he goes to Phoenix, I think the Phoenicians there will tie a knot in his tail.

At any rate, we don't need people with unresolved personality issues in our town.

Last edited by da jammer; 09-02-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: insult removed

Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times
This is ridiculous. You have to be kidding me right?

I cannot believe many of you are throwing insults at me the way y'all are doing. If I feel a certain way about a place; what good is it to make me feel worse about it when I already feel negative torwards it?

I know it may be a shock to have someone dislike this place so much; as most of you probably havent met many (if any) people not from here; I wouldnt be saying these things if I didnt have facts and word of mouth to back me up.

And the comments about not being mentally stable; get over it. Dont confuse voicing an opinion with being unstable. Yes I may come off tactless at times; but then again this is a forum and I believe I can speak in a more detailed way.

And the comment about Phoenix, thanks. I am considering that place as well. Part of liking a place comes from liking the scenary e.g. mountains/palm trees/weather etc.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
No, we're not.

Quote:
I cannot believe many of you are throwing insults at me the way y'all are doing. If I feel a certain way about a place; what good is it to make me feel worse about it when I already feel negative torwards it?
If you take your feelings to a good therapist, you'll feel much better. We're just motivating you to put your gripes into the proper channel. Antisocial behavior has its consequences.

In the meantime, we don't want to have to deal with your hostility, your emotional depression, your internal problems.

Quote:
I know it may be a shock to have someone dislike this place so much; as most of you probably havent met many (if any) people not from here; I wouldnt be saying these things if I didnt have facts and word of mouth to back me up.
Shock? By no means. I've encountered many different kinds of personality abberations. A compulsion to publicly insult a city is one of them. All trolls are deranged, to one degree or another.

Quote:
And the comments about not being mentally stable; get over it. Dont confuse voicing an opinion with being unstable. Yes I may come off tactless at times; but then again this is a forum and I believe I can speak in a more detailed way.
You mean that you can get away with anonymous internet behavior that would normally label you as a madman anywhere else.

Last edited by aceplace; 09-02-2008 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM

300 posts, read 1,210,887 times
Quote:
I've been to a dozen countries on four continents, and about 50% of the people I work with aren't even from America, much less Dallas. Most of the adult population of Houston or Dallas are not from Houston or Dallas, so you should have a big pool of people to make friends with if that's your criteria. Most of my friends when I lived there were non-Americans, much less non-Texans. I'm not a native of Texas or Dallas, but I lived in Texas for 99% of my adult life. I left Dallas for a number of reasons, and I'm happy with my decision for having left although there are a great many things that I do miss.

All that said, your comments are pretty rude (at least for Dallas, which is where you are at), and to just come onto a forum like this and say "this place sucks" with little else is, well, interesting for some I guess, but not too helpful for anyone else who might be following this thread.

The people that I did know and were friends with in Dallas who were from the area were every bit as nice and friendly as those not from Dallas. I think you're really painting the place with an extremely broad brush (unless you're talking about West Plano [let's see if Tycobb is reading this]).

What we're trying to tell you is that if you were to walk up to someone anywhere, and say "Hi, my name is Urbane and this place sucks," you're very likely to create a self-fullfilling prophecy. That, and you're alienating (whether you intend to or not) the very people on here who: A) will read your posts, and B) might know a thing or two to help you make your stay in Dallas more enjoyable.

How about asking people on the forum about where to go for various, specific, things you might be interested in instead. Maybe, just maybe, there's more to the place than what you've found in the short time you've been there.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:

And the comment about Phoenix, thanks. I am considering that place as well. Part of liking a place comes from liking the scenary e.g. mountains/palm trees/weather etc.
I would say that someone who moves to a place they hate twice without bothering to do any research on neighborhoods or good places to live especially on the second go around has issues. Stable people don't do stupid things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas