Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,273 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Plano Texas area ( we open to any nearby area [Dallas/Coppel/Addison/Irving/Frisco etc based on school ) . My daughter is having global developmental delay(she doesn't talk or act on instructions) she is not diagnosed of any syndrome but was told that she is having global delays. She starts elementary next year and we are trying to find a good school for her. Her current PreK teachers [She goes to Prek in a school only for special needs kids] have told her to be put in regular school with special needs program where she will be put in regular class room for couple of hours a day. She needs speech , OT AND PT.
I called Frisco and Plano ISD and they are not willing to give any specific school detail, they mentioned that all Schools in the ISD have the program. They want me to give a home address and assign a school based on that. We would like to know good school options so that we can pick home accordingly. Would someone be able to help us with good school options for us with special needs program(Speech in particular) in regular school in that region.

Really concerned about her well being and the facilities in the school being new to the place .

Please suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:56 PM

283 posts, read 404,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dia4life View Post
We are moving to Plano Texas area ( we open to any nearby area [Dallas/Coppel/Addison/Irving/Frisco etc based on school ) . My daughter is having global developmental delay(she doesn't talk or act on instructions) she is not diagnosed of any syndrome but was told that she is having global delays. She starts elementary next year and we are trying to find a good school for her. Her current PreK teachers [She goes to Prek in a school only for special needs kids] have told her to be put in regular school with special needs program where she will be put in regular class room for couple of hours a day. She needs speech , OT AND PT.
I called Frisco and Plano ISD and they are not willing to give any specific school detail, they mentioned that all Schools in the ISD have the program. They want me to give a home address and assign a school based on that. We would like to know good school options so that we can pick home accordingly. Would someone be able to help us with good school options for us with special needs program(Speech in particular) in regular school in that region.

Really concerned about her well being and the facilities in the school being new to the place .

Please suggest.
I'm surprised that they would not provide the details till you can show home address. I was moving to Plano 5 yrs ago from another state and got to arrange with the Principal of two different school districts and viewed the classroom and even talk to the lead teachers. We can hear from many people but can't beat the actual classroom viewing experience which I strongly encourage you to do so.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 AM

447 posts, read 321,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlofton35 View Post
My son was in Coppell ISD from age 4(PPCD) until 3rd grade. It was a great experience. He was on level in gen ed. with support. He still received services for sensory and speech issues. Education is priority in Coppell for all students. We made the mistake of moving to a larger home, that landed him in Carrollton Farmers Branch ISD. BIG MISTAKE. We want our son to be educated. If you are more concerned about functionality than your child being pushed academically, its a great district - CFBISD. They have tons of programs. If you're looking for your child to be educated, then I think you're in the right place. We had to withdraw our son and hire a private teacher from CFBISD. Now we are trying to move back into Coppell ISD or Lewisville. I've heard great things about Frisco ISD also. The Frisco Miracle League Organization is awesome!
Thank you so much Tdlofton35.

We postpone his K to this summer. I sent him to a local daycare to see if he can cope.

I do have the worry that Coppell, as one of the best school districts, will be too keen on those academically-advanced children than the delayed special need children. My son does not have too much sensory issue, and has no tantrum or behavioral issue. Most of his difficulty lies in his delay. Gross motor, fine motor and speech. Having an aid in a regular class room is what I want and I will talk with the school district.

I have heard about Lewisville and Frisco as well. They are doing well and they are in my consideration if Coppell does not give what we want.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,182 times
We are looking to relocate from Cali to North Texas in June for my husbands job. We have 2 kids with special needs 1 will be a senior in high school and 1 will be a freshman. I also have a coming 5th grader with processing disorder. I am scared to death of this change for them. My husband will be working in Coppell and we are willing to live 40 min from there. Any help is greatly appreciated. My oldest is general Ed with help from special Ed assistant, he is high functioning autistic and my incoming freshman is currently in a special all day class, he has severe anxiety.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 PM

283 posts, read 404,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellyfamily8 View Post
We are looking to relocate from Cali to North Texas in June for my husbands job. We have 2 kids with special needs 1 will be a senior in high school and 1 will be a freshman. I also have a coming 5th grader with processing disorder. I am scared to death of this change for them. My husband will be working in Coppell and we are willing to live 40 min from there. Any help is greatly appreciated. My oldest is general Ed with help from special Ed assistant, he is high functioning autistic and my incoming freshman is currently in a special all day class, he has severe anxiety.
When we move from CA to dallas 5 yrs ago, we have to give up the help from regional centers, respite, school services (tough to fight due process here). Another diff is CA bill that mandate medical insurance to cover ABA service. I would make sure the financial part is carefully planned out.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:49 PM

213 posts, read 314,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellyfamily8 View Post
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse in these forums because all I talk about is how awesome FMHS special ed is, but I speak from personal experience. It's very hard moving into the unknown with special needs kids and the pool of people who have walked in your shoes and can advise is very small. Sorry to everyone else who has to read me post the same thing multiple times I suggest you look at LISD, specifically the Flower Mound High School feeder pattern. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:02 PM

92 posts, read 116,415 times
One of my best friends is a SPED elem. teacher in Frisco ISD. Another good friend is a the same but in PISD.
Feel free to contact me anytime and I can try to hook you guys up.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueya View Post
I have a 10 year old son with autism and would like to know more about the Plano school district. We are getting desperate because he is only working at a K-1st grade level!!! Time is going by and they just don't know how to work with him in the Las Cruces, NM area!! We can't afford a private school, so public will be our only solution. I would like to be contacted this person from Plano. If favorable, let me know. Thank You.
Hi I am going thru the exact problem that you were facing. I have a 9 yr asperges going to a school in Frisco ISD. They suggested that he be put in the special education set up and removed him from class room setting. Now I see that they are still working at k - 1st grade level!! This is demotivating. I am ready to move to any ISD too if that will help. Can you tell me how is your son doing and which ISD helped. Thank you

Old 01-22-2016, 05:04 PM

36 posts, read 65,294 times
How about Wylie ISD, specifically Don Whitt Elementary? My aspie is high functioning, currently has a shared aide, OT, social skills classes. We're looking hard at a subdivision zoned to that school. Any tips?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM

447 posts, read 321,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard88 View Post
When we move from CA to dallas 5 yrs ago, we have to give up the help from regional centers, respite, school services (tough to fight due process here). Another diff is CA bill that mandate medical insurance to cover ABA service. I would make sure the financial part is carefully planned out.
Did you try Obamacare? I have friends purchased Unitedhealthcare from Obamacare and they have very good coverage not only on ABA but also on ST OT and PT.

One even got unlimited ST with UHC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: