Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM

288 posts, read 656,102 times

Advertisements

Going to the Game...in Dallas

I will be with a group of people who have never been to the crazy weekend so I was wanting to eat at a great restaurant...not the usual food chains...more of a staple in that area!

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
I'd head to Chuy's on McKinney at Knox. From my experience (been a while tho') it's likely to be a fairly heady experience that nite.

From Fair Park, just take Peak away from the park, goes by Target, then cross 75 and hang right on McKinney to Knox. Or go north to Munger and then left, turns to Henderson (Knox the other side of 75).

Old 09-05-2008, 05:07 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,943 times
(Chuy's originated in Austin so I'd imagine a pro-UT crowd.)

Avoid West End as it is tourist central and chain stuff. (Although the original (I think) El Fenix is just north of it, but I've never been an El Fenix fan.)

La Calle Doce was always a fave of mine...mexican food with seafood specialties. Kind of an underknown gem...east of downtown.

Matt's Rancho Martinez in Lakewood. Really good Mexican and really good margaritas.

Mia's is another great Mexican place. It's like on Lemon or somewhere thereabouts; I can't remember.

Campisi's Egyptian on Mockingbird, just east of 75 across from SMU, is a Dallas fixture. Best pizza in Dallas by far. Legendary for supposed connections to Jack Ruby.

Angry Dog in Deep Ellum is my favorite burger in Dallas. And close to Fair Park.

There's also Freebird's up at Greenville and NW Highway-ish. Although I hear there's now a location in Norman.

Royal Thai - same strip center as Freebird's. A personal fave, although I have no idea how authentic it is. But spicey food.

Blue Mesa Grill on the west side of 75 on Northwest Highway. They do sweet potato chips and salsa. And blue margaritas.

Gloria's on Greenville. Salvadorean-ish food.

Cafe Brazil is a late-night staple in Dallas. There are a couple locations.

If you want to do a real Dallas experience and go more spendy:
Javier's - Mexico-city style food. Fantastic and pricey.

Hope that helps. Very mexican-food-centric, but that's what I enjoy.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm really hungry now!...lol

Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
There are TONS of local eateries in Dallas that are excellent. It escapes my mind right now but there is a taco place on Industrial Blvd. that is the best. Dang it, my mind fails me!!!!

John offered up a lot of great places; you should check a few out.

Oh, and GO OU!!!

PS. John, Mexican food is THE BEST.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
You mean TX/ou

Gosh, first time eh? Sorry but the party for TX/ou Weekend is NOTHING like it used to be. Used to be TONS of fun. On Friday night Commerce St in downtown was a parade of people walking up and down on the sidewalks (AND drinking IN PUBLIC) and cars/trucks going up and down the street honking and carrying on. It was BLAST and fun. Everyone stayed civil and had fun and the police just were there to make sure no fights broke out which back then hardly ever did. Then sometime in the late 80's or early 90's all that changed and they started having the "party" in The West End. Which the West End is now dead as a door nail except for a few places but it still attracts people in town for TX/ou Weekend. If you WANT to eat somewhere down by all of that action then there are a few places w/in walking distance. The Iron Cactus is REALLY good mexican food and KILLER margarita's on Main St in downtown. If your wanting something close to where your staying I'm sure we can all give you some ideas to keep you close to your "base" here.

A few other really good Dallas places are: Bob's Steak and Chop House, La Duni, Monica's, Dragonfly, III Forks, Kirby's, Oceanaire Seafood Room, Y.O. Ranch Steakhouse, Matt's in Lakewood (mentioned earlier and REALLY good), S&J Oyster Co. Let me put it this way........if one can't find really good food in Dallas they ain't tryin

As for the actual game..........no need to worry as TX will win Then there is the State Fair. You MUST have a Fletchers Corny Dog while at The Fair and a few other tasty foods that are only good at The Fair. This years grand prize "Fried Food" is Fried Banana Split (honey peanut butter balls that are battered and deep fried then topped w/ chocolate sauce, I think bananas too, whipped cream, peanuts and a cherry).

Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You mean TX/ou

Gosh, first time eh? Sorry but the party for TX/ou Weekend is NOTHING like it used to be. Used to be TONS of fun. On Friday night Commerce St in downtown was a parade of people walking up and down on the sidewalks (AND drinking IN PUBLIC) and cars/trucks going up and down the street honking and carrying on. It was BLAST and fun. Everyone stayed civil and had fun and the police just were there to make sure no fights broke out which back then hardly ever did. Then sometime in the late 80's or early 90's all that changed and they started having the "party" in The West End. Which the West End is now dead as a door nail except for a few places but it still attracts people in town for TX/ou Weekend. If you WANT to eat somewhere down by all of that action then there are a few places w/in walking distance. The Iron Cactus is REALLY good mexican food and KILLER margarita's on Main St in downtown. If your wanting something close to where your staying I'm sure we can all give you some ideas to keep you close to your "base" here.

A few other really good Dallas places are: Bob's Steak and Chop House, La Duni, Monica's, Dragonfly, III Forks, Kirby's, Oceanaire Seafood Room, Y.O. Ranch Steakhouse, Matt's in Lakewood (mentioned earlier and REALLY good), S&J Oyster Co. Let me put it this way........if one can't find really good food in Dallas they ain't tryin

As for the actual game..........no need to worry as TX will win Then there is the State Fair. You MUST have a Fletchers Corny Dog while at The Fair and a few other tasty foods that are only good at The Fair. This years grand prize "Fried Food" is Fried Banana Split (honey peanut butter balls that are battered and deep fried then topped w/ chocolate sauce, I think bananas too, whipped cream, peanuts and a cherry).
mom, i like your style, but sad to say...OU will take this one...lol

Well, I know what I do, when i'm down there...I just wanted to kind of show them a good time, but not the usual...ya know?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:46 AM

625 posts, read 1,955,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You mean TX/ou

Commerce street was crazy when I went last year! One of my most fun times ever....but texas will still win. Seriously. It'll happen, I promise.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
my suggestion--make sure you don't worry about parking--get a limo or cab lined up

towing companies make lot of money that weekend...

Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Since you're going to be in Texas. It is known as Texas/OU. I really would love to go to that game. I want to go to that team more than any NFL game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas