Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times

Advertisements

Zatires and Big G~

You both make important points about whether or not franchising Paciugo, or anything similar, is a wise investment. What do you think would be a good franchise or business opportunity? I would only want to work with dessert type of food, if I worked with food at all, because that's what I love--chocolate, gelato, coffee, etc. I want to do something fun that either helps people or brings them pleasure. I think I would prefer a franchise because more of the work is done for you (opposed to starting a business purely from scratch), and many franchises are an established brand. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
You might be interested in this:

Back Talk Lakewood/East Dallas: Lakewood Paciugo opening delayed unti Sunday

Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
What about something along the lines of Celebrity Bakery? While it is a "lunch spot" with AWESOME sandwiches and salads they have TO DIE FOR cookies, pies and cakes.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Really? Why? What possible interest would the OP have in a meaningless one-day delay in the opening of a Paciugo location in Lakewood, a place where he/she has never been and knows nothing about? The article contains nothing about why the person chose to open a Paciugo franchise, why it's a good or bad location, or anything else of use.

This is a new one - something of no interest even to Lakewooders.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Zatires and Big G~

You both make important points about whether or not franchising Paciugo, or anything similar, is a wise investment. What do you think would be a good franchise or business opportunity? I would only want to work with dessert type of food, if I worked with food at all, because that's what I love--chocolate, gelato, coffee, etc. I want to do something fun that either helps people or brings them pleasure. I think I would prefer a franchise because more of the work is done for you (opposed to starting a business purely from scratch), and many franchises are an established brand. Any thoughts?
Have you worked in the restaurant industry before? If not, run far, far away from any restaurant concept. The most successful folks in the restaurant biz are people who get into it as a young age, often buying their first restaurant from their boss.

If you have, I actually think Paciugo might be an OK concept. The price seems awfully high, though, so bring in an accountant or three and make sure all the numbers make sense before you sign.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 PM

175 posts, read 405,087 times
Leavingcali

I don't think a food franchise is worth at this time, especially spending around 250K or more for one is plain outright not a good idea (personally that is what I think).

The biggest problems for food;

1- The prices are going up, and will continue to go up, this is the thing about inflation, once it starts to go up, it does not really come back down (don't belive in what the government is telling you ).

There is the Sprinkles mania that has been going on around DFW for some time (since they opened). I went there the other day after like 6 months or so, and I was shocked to see their cupcakes got a bit smaller But prices did not come down, and there was not as much line as was before.

If you want to invest in food, invest in manufacturing food, buy a farm near the area (maybe 80-100 miles), try to be close to a railroad track, and start farming. The climate is pretty good around DFW, you can actually harvest many different food items. This would be a business that will give you value with land, will not force you to pay close to 12% of your sales to franchise as fees.

If that is too much work, well keep the cash. That would be a good idea

Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 AM

Default Re:

I don't think the OP has any interest in coming to Dallas. The post is here because the HQ and most of the early Paciugo locations are in DFW.

2 things jumped out at me from the Paciugo website.

1) There are quite a few more stores than I thought (good - means the concept is growing)
2) Looking at the store numbers (which I am guessing are in order of opening, since the Park/Preston location is store #1), there are a lot of missing numbers (bad - probably means stores that have already gone bust)

Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Paciugo must be doing pretty well since they are expanding nationwide at this time. I've been to several and there is always a steady stream of people coming in.

Paciugo plans national gelato store expansion - Dallas Business Journal:

Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Really? Why? What possible interest would the OP have in a meaningless one-day delay in the opening of a Paciugo location in Lakewood, a place where he/she has never been and knows nothing about? The article contains nothing about why the person chose to open a Paciugo franchise, why it's a good or bad location, or anything else of use.

This is a new one - something of no interest even to Lakewooders.
Excuse me for living!

I thought the OP might want to contact April and read the comments section. Also there is a history of that store if you bother do a search on the site and read the archives of the Advocate. Ever hear of market research?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
Hi Lakewooder,

When I read the title, I wasn't sure that it would be helpful either, but fortunately I kept on reading--there were comments from people who lived in the community about Paciugo, their gelato, and the setting. Also, contacting the owner of that location is a great idea.

Thanks very much,
Leavingcali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Excuse me for living!

I thought the OP might want to contact April and read the comments section. Also there is a history of that store if you bother do a search on the site and read the archives of the Advocate. Ever hear of market research?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: