Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
JMB JMB started this thread

3 posts, read 7,404 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. My wife and I are considering relocating from MI to one of the suburbs northeast of Dallas. We’ve been focusing our interest on those cities along the 75 corridor (Plano, Allen and McKinney) but have recently begun looking at Garland.

My employer is located in northwest Plano, just southeast of where 121 crosses Dallas Pkwy. On a map it looks like the mileage to there, from either McKinney or Garland, is comparable; probably 15 – 20 miles depending on exactly where you’re situated. The major difference that I can see is that McKinney would route me on 75 to 121 and Garland would route me on President George Bush Tpke. to Dallas North Tollway. Perhaps I am oversimplifying the routes though.

Is there anyone out there who has traveled both routes during “rush hour” and could give me a quick comparison on traffic congestion or other factors that could influence my commute time?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
These are two totally different communities. I would probably come out an visit both before making a decision. Most of the part of McKinney you'd want to live in is very accessible from the 121 (Custer/Lake Forest, etc). In that area you also have SW or Eastern Frisco. You are in an excellent spot for commuting, so I would not put too much weight on that and focus more on where you want to live. Again, there is no way you can pick an area to live here without visiting all of them. They are all much too diverse and each gives you a different feeling when your there.

Also remember that here in TX, the main arteries like the 121 are congested and alot of people take surface streets and make much better time.

For example, if you lived in East Frisco in a community along Custer like Stone Lake (http://www.sotherby.com/communities/...states/)....it looks lke the 121 would be the best option right.....not so in my opinion. Instead I'd take El Dorado to Independence and take Independence South to Legacy then take Legacy across. I mention this because when I first got here I tried to use the highways at rush hour and they were a nightmare. Not so much once you were on them, but getting on/off of them could often add 40 mis to my commute. The George Bush is notorious for this.....highway moves well once your on it, but if you need to get on it at say Preston, you could easily wait 30 mins.

Then my friends that were natives explained to me the correct way to get to work....

Again, everything here is like a grid, so there is always about 7 ways to get to the same place. In fact, roads like Coit, Idependence, Custer, Legacy, Park etc move pretty well and are almost highway like.

This is really why you need to come here and visit before making a decison. Also, what is your price range ?

Last edited by socketz; 02-05-2007 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 AM

40 posts, read 201,107 times
We live in Garland and my wife works in that area of Plano. It takes her about 20 minutes to get to work. I'm not sure about the McKinney commute, but you are definitely limiting your options if you live up there.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Thanks socketz and mgd323.

Thank you both for your replies.

socketz,

We're planning a trip to visit the area in late April. I traveled to Plano on business in 2004 but all I can remember is the July heat (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and the trip between DFW and my hotel. Of course, at the time, I wasn't considering relocating to the area. We're both very excited for this year's trip to scout out our new location.

In terms of price range - It's a large range at the moment; from $225k to $300k. The higher end may be a bit of a stretch and is based upon the sale of my current home and my wife increasing her salary due to an employer change. Do you have a suggestion as to which area might be a better fit, based upon those figures?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
I don't know about 75, PGBT, or 121, but I do know that traffic, for the most part, heading north on the Tollway in the mornings flows at (or above) the speed limit. Heading south in the afternoons, you will have a bit of a slowdown trying to get onto the PGBT.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I live in Northeast Garland, very close to GBT/190 and travel it often. My sis lives in McKinney and what socketz said is true, getting to and from 75 in this area can be the main problem. Getting on/off 190 in the Garland area is not bad at all. The main tie ups for you if commuting to/from Garland are going to be at the PGBT and the DNT but not too bad. Then again at PGBT and 75-Central, the saving grace at this one is going to be that all of the traffic is going to be trying to get onto 75-Central and your staying on 190 so you can get in the far left lane and zip right on past all of those cars stopped waiting to get in the turtle race on Central Expwy. Once you pass this the amount of traffic drops DRAMATICALLY! Staying on 190 though thru Garland it will get a small slowdown if your getting off at Hwy 78 aka Lavon Dr to head towards Sachse. And then if your staying on 190 for right now it ends right there and it becomes Firewheel Pkwy and you have a lot of traffic from people that live in Rowlett, South Garland or Mesquite passing thru. Once 190 gets completed onto I-30. As for McKinney, the side streets getting to and from the highway are a nightmare. It can easily take a good 20 minutes in non rush hour traffic to get from the highway to my sisters home in Stonebridge w/ all of the lights and road construction.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Thanks GoPadge and momof2dfw

Thanks for your replies.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. There's some excellent information from the responses in this thread.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:30 AM

Mom,

Where is the construction in Stonebridge your talking about ? I saw that you mentioned this in a few other posts as well, but I honestly have not seen much if any road construction in that area. Personally, I like that the roads are all much larger than the nieghboring communities.....but I think that has something to do with the fact that the area was actually designed/laid out in the 80s when proportions (roads/open space, etc.) were a little more liberal.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The latest construction near/around Stonebridge that I have encountered was on El Dorado Pkwy, Custer, 121 and around Craig Ranch. Some of the roads to avoid the highway are the old blacktop back roads that twist and turn (pigtails ).

Old 02-11-2007, 07:15 AM

I think I was here yesterday. It's where Alma crosses over the 121 and heads into Mckinney right ? That was horrible. I will live on the far west side of Stonebridge near the intersection with the 380 and Custer, so there is no road construction to speak of over there. Once that area around me is complete, Stonebridge is finished (~2 years). In talking to the builders, the next frontier is above the 380. Not sure when Craig's Ranch builds out, but really don't care because it is a different area from Stonebridge (lacks the exclusive feel and Stonebridge Ranch has overall better Elementary schools). Sure, they have homes the same size and such, but I don't think the two compare as well to one another as some here say.

Question for you Mom. Where exactly does Mckinney end ? 121 seems to be the southern border, Custer to the west, 75 to the east (not interested in old Mckinney east of 75, except for the shops). However, above 380 there still seems to be lots of Mckinney left. Also, where is that dang High School everyone talks about. I tried to find it yesterday and got lost. Dozens of elementaries everywhere, but the High Schools appear to be in the areas that are less traveled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas