Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
While Houston did not take a "direct hit" from Rita it DID have an impact on Houston. Remember the mass exodus of people trying to flee the city and many being stuck on the highways IN Houston when it came ashore. There was also damage done in and around Houston from Rita. Power was out in areas, lines and trees blown down, windows blown out, etc. I have family and friends that live there and most of them had some kind of damage from Rita.

BUT, since the OP was inquiring about the effects of hurricanes that hit the Texas coast on the DALLAS AREA....... Rita DID! I remember it all too well. My oldest had a soccer game that Saturday and the winds were BRUTAL! No rain but a LOT more wind from that one.
Okay, i'll give you that maybe your friends/family may had some private damage done to their property. The point was there was no commercial damage or anything to effect economical things like the price of gas. The things you mentioned were were very minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
Ike was NEVER a hurricane when it finally got to Ohio, it was a tropical depression when it reached North East Texas & was a much weaker tropical depression once it reached Ohio.

The rain that fell in Lubbock wasn't even related to Ike.
I NEVER said IKE was a "hurricane" when it reached Ohio. it still had hurricane STRENGTH winds. so, yes IKE's impact was felt many many many miles away from the coast.

I also didn't say that the rain in LUBBOCK was do to IKE...it was a tropical depression from Baja CA named LOWELL.

I was merely stating the fact that yes, the Dallas area could be impacted by a hurricane, wind damage and flooding COULD happen. Not saying it's likly but also don't dismiss it as NEVER ever happening.

So was it prudent when you saw the size of that strom to be prepared to loose power etc...for a day or so? yes I feel it was. Same as living in the NE and when the weather is calling for a Nor'easter...making sure you have some extra things etc...is just common sense.

I was referring my comment to these posts...

Quote:
In Dallas, you're way too in land to worry about anything that's hurricane power.

AND....

I've been through plenty of hurricanes elsewhere and we are so far inland, and the trees here are so small, that it's a non-issue.
Dallas could get "hurricane strength" winds and PLENTY of flooding from a hurricane or tropical storm that tracks this way.

Dallas was VERY lucky that IKE didn't track up I-45 or we would have trees and fences down all over, lost power and had flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas