Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Stay within the 635 ring and north of downtown (also Oak Cliff/Kessler Park is cool). Otherwise it may get a bit uncomfortable. Suburbians dont usually understand diversity and that people were not cut with the same cookie cutter they used for them. NOT ALL, but most.

I am gay and have lived in Dallas proper (within 635 ring) for approx 13 years and find no issues with my "lifestyle" from coworkers or neighbors. In fact, I worked in Miami for 2 years and found Miami more intolerant than Dallas when it came to gay stuff.

Good luck guys! Welcome to our city.
Note to the original poster who may not be familiar with the lay of the land, Oak Cliff (which includes Kessler Park, which sounds like it's out of your price range, and Kidd Springs, Stevens Park Village or Bishop Arts District, which may not be), is southwest of downtown. Not everything cool is to the north! There's a huge gay community in Oak Cliff now and tons of gentrification.

But it all depends on whether you want older house/newer house (Oak Cliff has more older homes), SFH/townhouse/condo, and where you work. That might shape your decision as much as anything as there gays all over town, though Oak Lawn remains the "official" gayborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:17 AM

13 posts, read 42,289 times
North Dallas, Frisco and carrollton are good choices. Generally the higher education populations are more gay friendly in Texas. I do agree with Artsyguy about Denton being somewhat gay friendly because it's a college town but it's also very redneck and still has a very 'country' mentality.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSprings View Post
North Dallas, Frisco and carrollton are good choices. Generally the higher education populations are more gay friendly in Texas. I do agree with Artsyguy about Denton being somewhat gay friendly because it's a college town but it's also very redneck and still has a very 'country' mentality.
Having known three gay couples who tried living in Frisco, and left due to the anti-gay sentiment I would advise against there.

It is true there is some correlation between education and acceptance of homo-sexuality; however, there is a much higher incidence of correlation between social conservativism and lack of acceptance, Frisco is VERY socially conservative.

Most of the gay couples with children I know have been happier in East Dallas, or Oak Cliff than anywhere else. Even alot of places where there is tolerance of gay couples, there is not tolerance of gay families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas