Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Lakewood/M Streets/White Rock area this summer--I hate treadmills and love to run outside, but I'm wondering how safe it is? (for a female)

I've heard White Rock is perfectly safe for runners during the day, but don't even think about it at night--is this true?

Also, what about running through the residential areas--are there sidewalks?

Any particular areas anyone recommends for running or cycling besides White Rock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
>> Any particular areas anyone recommends for running or cycling besides White Rock?<<

Friends of Katy Trail:

also

Dallas Running Club - Welcome All Dallas & Fort Worth Area Runners & Walkers (http://www.dallasrunningclub.com/201dir/ - broken link)

Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
We will be relocating to the Lakewood/M Streets/White Rock area this summer--I hate treadmills and love to run outside, but I'm wondering how safe it is? (for a female)

I've heard White Rock is perfectly safe for runners during the day, but don't even think about it at night--is this true?

Also, what about running through the residential areas--are there sidewalks?

Any particular areas anyone recommends for running or cycling besides White Rock?
As for cycling, you are coming to a mecca. Sure WHite Rock Lake is a big center with easy access from where you will be living. However, there are group rides going on all over the metroplex almost all week. My schedule would be for non-DST of the year:

Sunday, a recovery ride after Saturday's ride. Leaving with Greater Dallas Bicyclists, Preston and Royal for a 30-35 mile ride to any one of numerous routes - Las Colinas, Oak Cliff, Carrollton/Coppell area, Fair park over to WRL, etc.

Monday, Carrollton Cycling Club ride Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area. 30 miles or more.

Tuesday, GDB ride from REI, LBJ @ Welch, routes vary. 26 - 35 miles. Or the GDB Mesquite group, starting at Poteet High School to out past Sunnyvale out to Seagoville or Combine. Up to 70 miles (the weekend route) but during the week 40 miles is about all there is time for when starting at 6 pm.

Wednesday, same as Monday or a Richardson Bike Mart (RBM) ride leaving from the Coit and Campbell store, goes east to Sachse area.

Thursday, GDB ride, leaving from Forest and Central (Office Depot) to White Rock Lake or to Downtown Dallas.

Friday - no riding.

Saturday, usually GDB ride from Preston and Forest out to DFW and around, 54 miles, additional laps of the airport are 20 miles/lap. Othwise a local rally.

Trails? We don't need no stinking trails.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
ooo thanks for the info--My fiance will love that!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
There are big groups of people running and walking around White Rock Lake during the evenings/nights starting from the FTLOTL office in Garland and Buckner. Probably more info online.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM

225 posts, read 518,925 times
Yes, I've owned a home down there since 2006 and I think in most places in Dallas-safety in numbers is the right choice. I do cringe when I see women running out there by themselves even if it is in a nicer neighborhood due to nice neighborhoods being next to 'hoods in a big city. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I would be nervous if my wife ran at White Rock or through the M streets/Lakewood by herself!

Boomer!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
There are big groups of people running and walking around White Rock Lake during the evenings/nights starting from the FTLOTL office in Garland and Buckner. Probably more info online.
If you (a general you) are going to be running in the evenings, please wear a blinkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas