Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,483,713 times

Advertisements

There are sex offenders everywhere, so there are going to be sex offenders everywhere. We had one near us for a bit. He was a high school student attending Richardson High School. He ended up moving away with his mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,983,629 times
It's still against the law to take the law into your own hands.

Best bet is keep your kids informed about sexual predators and perverts, equip your kids with a cellphone, and live in an area that is not populated with cm's. Keep an eye on your kids and keep an eye on any creepy or touchy feely neighbors, especially those that want to get too close too soon. Don't let them spend the night with parents you don't like and trust first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronyoung777 View Post
Don't worry, guns are smiled upon here!!!!

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-22-2008 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM

563 posts, read 3,745,820 times
We moved to Dallas last year and I agree with you that it is amazing just how many sex offenders are scattered throughout the suburbs. I think it has to do more with it being a big city and the Metroplex just having a massive population. Here's my two cents on it . . . I looked at the sex offender maps and found that there were clusters within each burb. Certain neighborhoods had none and others had 4 or 5. No apparent logic to it. Its possible to research the type of offence and age at time of offence to get some kind of idea of what you might be facing. And remember there is nothing to stop a sex offender from moving in next door to you. Just do your research and make the best choice you can.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 184,679 times
When I've been looking for possible places to move to, plus, just wondering about where I live now, I found a registry that not only tells the name and address, but gives the picture of the person. To register I had to pay $10, but that is good for a lifetime of searching up to 5 addresses. I think I'll receive e-mail notices if new people are added to my search areas. From a post earlier in this thread, I know that there are cases where it's not a "typical" situation, but, with the world not a safe place, I don't see the harm in trying to be as informed as we can be. Better safe than sorry...here is the site.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 AM

3,822 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
We moved to Dallas last year and I agree with you that it is amazing just how many sex offenders are scattered throughout the suburbs. I think it has to do more with it being a big city and the Metroplex just having a massive population. Here's my two cents on it . . . I looked at the sex offender maps and found that there were clusters within each burb. Certain neighborhoods had none and others had 4 or 5. No apparent logic to it. Its possible to research the type of offence and age at time of offence to get some kind of idea of what you might be facing. And remember there is nothing to stop a sex offender from moving in next door to you. Just do your research and make the best choice you can.
I bet if you did a radius check of local schools and parks you'd find that those clusters do have logic. They are probably just far enough outside of the radius prohibiting sex offenders that they are all going to land there.

Personally I have an issue with the radius prohibitions unless a municipality is going to make sure the entire city is covered. My fear is that a city with overzealousness to protect children, will end up creating the very clusters you are seeing - essentially forcing families in those neighborhoods to either live with an inordinately high risk level or move.

I also think that the as more suburbs create tighter restrictions the sex offenders will move out to less restrictive places farther out where there are less law enforcement and less laws in place to keep an eye out.

It's all about balance.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,897,232 times
Agree with everyone here, yes be viligent and research, you have a choice where to live etc...
Educate your children and be a visable parent...at the bus stop, out doing yard work when the kids are playing etc....

But also remember that the "dangerous" ones are those who haven't been caught yet and are not registered. The ones that are registered have people keeping tabs on them.
Recently there have been those reports of the neighborhood soccer coach, youth minister etc... typical "suburban" dads etc...

Also keep in mind that the VAST majority of sex crimes against children are either from a family member and a close friend of the family. A small minority are "strangers" the trolling creeps,the violent abuctors etc... they just get the most news coverage as opposed to "little johnnys uncle bubba has been touching him for years" etc...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,916,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieB View Post
When I've been looking for possible places to move to, plus, just wondering about where I live now, I found a registry that not only tells the name and address, but gives the picture of the person. To register I had to pay $10, but that is good for a lifetime of searching up to 5 addresses. I think I'll receive e-mail notices if new people are added to my search areas. From a post earlier in this thread, I know that there are cases where it's not a "typical" situation, but, with the world not a safe place, I don't see the harm in trying to be as informed as we can be. Better safe than sorry...here is the site.

You don't have to pay on the state OFFICIAL websites or the local police departments websites. You get pictures and all of their information including address as well. FREE! They are REQUIRED to furnish such.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,269,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You don't have to pay on the state OFFICIAL websites or the local police departments websites. You get pictures and all of their information including address as well. FREE! They are REQUIRED to furnish such.
That's correct, you don't need to pay any membership. Here is one of the sites:

National Sex Offender Registry

There is also the Texas DPS search that publishes more details about the conviction:

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...New/index.aspx

Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,072,706 times
I viewed the second website that purportedly has more detail about the offense, and the first couple of people I checked looked like creeps... older individuals accused of sexual assault with a 14 year old... not particularly questionable.

The website goes out of its way, however to disclaim its own information, that the info they provide should not be used to adjudicate a particular individual. I wonder why that is?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
Default Is there a Huge concern for Parents Raising Boys in Dallas

Thanks to the writer brave enough to ask the question regarding the high number of Sex Offenders in Dallas. I was recently hit by the huge lay offs in the financial markets in New York after 40 years of banking. Since I had been considering relocating to Dallas for some time, I wanted to take this opportunity to seriously look into making the switch. As a single mom raising an academically, bright hyperactive boy who is in a top Talented and Gifted school, it was important to me that his educational opportunities are not compromised. My friend and his family recently relocated to Garland from Chicago and I was happy to find so many educational opportunities with many high ratings nationally along with low cost of living in Garland. However, I am still concern with the before and after school options which seem geared to low income families. I am looking for before and after school programs geared to GT with children from diverse economic backgrounds and education. Everything was looking promising until I came across the sex offenders button! Of course I was shocked. Why would anyone in their right mind want to leave a high crime city like New York to move to the suburbs of Dallas with high sex offenders? As I read through some of the profiles, I became less worried that my son would be a victim, because some of the profiles were between heterosexual teenagers. This turn me to another concern. I am single mom trying to raise a strong minded, intelligent and good looking 5 year old boy. As a women and single parent, I am raising him to be a responsible, educated male to support his family and wife. However, even in Kindergarten I have witness girls being faster than boys and in tune with their sexually. I am really shocked sometimes, because my son at this age is totally oblivious. As a women, I am naturally concerned for girls. In fact, before having a boy and coming from a family of mostly females, my stand would have been totally been one sided in favor of girls. However, I hate to admit it, it takes two tango. Imagine you as a parent trying raise your boy to be a man and give him the tools to support himself and his family and everything you have done is destroyed by one mistake due to typical mutual, raging hormones of teenagers! I strongly agree that boys should be able to restrain themselves, but tell me what should be the responsibility of girls and their parents? If I had my way, I would not want my son to be involved in any relationship until he finishes his education, but this is unrealistic, especially in today's society. People say you are lucky to have boy than a girl as if the worry is less. The worry isn't less, it is different. I worry about drugs,guns, gangs, violence, girls getting pregnant claiming child support him or me, educational opportunities, racial profiling ,sex offenders, aids and the list goes on. I am not looking to live in a bubble, I just want to live in a place that is safe where their are tons of activities for children to keep themselves out of mischief, good schools, childcare options, quality of life, balance of work,culture and adult activities. Is there such an area in Dallas? This is no way supporting the actions of sex offenders. I still firmly believe no means no! My only concern is for teenage boys who make wrong choices. I would love to hear the views of parents raising both girls and boys in the Dallas area. Oh, one more thing. Being a native New Yorker, I never understood the love of gun ownerships in Texas. Thanks for the suggestion from another commentator. It really had not occurred to me as an option until now. understand why.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas