Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM

869 posts, read 2,944,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainraiser View Post
it's a fact that north dallas is north of dallas.
that's the fact jack!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM

66 posts, read 230,968 times
My hotwheels track beats out any roads in or out of the lines and I challenge anyone to have better kept houses then the ones my lego men live in. The value of the houses are like eleventy billion dollars.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,419,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
As a good reference to all of those moving to the City of Dallas (e.g. Dallas "proper" and not the suburbs), I have created a map showing exactly where you should look to live.

You should really think twice and/or avoid those areas not inside the lines that I have drawn. At the very least, you should spend some time driving around the area if it is outside the lines, as chances are it will be very run down and/or crime infested.

A few notes:

- These lines are general, and I know there are exceptions as to the specific bondaries, but the general boudaries have no exceptions
- There are still some bad spots within these lines, but these boundaries generally keep you out of war zones and run down neighborhoods.
- The quality and characteristics of these neighborhoods vary widely within these lines, e.g.Highland Park vs. Far east Lake Highlands, so this map is really to show where not to live.

If you are considering living outside of these lines, consider yourself warned.

I hope this helps everyone out.

Acceptable Places to Live in Dallas, TX - CommunityWalk
I have looked at your map of the "acceptable places to live" and read your posts and you are very wrong and you need to get out more. First, all of this nonsense is just your opinion. You must be one of those people who thinks they are always right when they are not. All your facts are inaccurate and basically lies. Second, there are MANY nice places to live outside of your so called "acceptable lines". Obviously, many people including me don't agree with what you are saying and I'm sure the people that live outside of your "acceptable lines" dont appreciate you calling their cities unacceptable. Like what one poster said, I think you just posted this thread to start arguments, which means you are trolling, which is AGAINST the rules. Maybe you need to read up on the rules, so this wont happen again, and if it does, I will report you . Here is the link to the rules: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

Last edited by $DFW8$; 09-30-2008 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,046,512 times
Quote:
City of Dallas Police Department is the source. You might want to do your researcy before you spout off about things you have no clue about. Also, if you knew anything about the different areas of Dallas, you would know this even without a source.
No, I see no evidence that the Dallas police department supports your generalization.

Quote:
You're splitting hairs. Homes are generally well kept inside the lines versus outside the lines where a higher proportion of homes are run down.
The phrase "generally well kept" is so vague as to be meaningless. Also, you show no evidence for your claim.

Quote:
This is just moronic. Homes inside the line have much higher values than outside. And yes, this is a fact.
Same objection as before. The phrase "much higher value" is not quantifiable, so it cannot be factual. It would only be factual if you claimed a specific amount for an average value.

Quote:
Actually, the statement "there are very few crack houses inside the lines" is a factual statement. The term "very few" may be ambigious but it does not invalidate the fact.
Yes, it does invalidate the factual nature of the statement. People could have different opinions as to what "very few" means. A factual statement must have an exact meaning, not an ambiguous one.

Quote:
If you knew anything about the City of Dallas, you would know that most areas outside those lines do have many crackhouses and drug dens.
I know a lot about Dallas and I know that you're mistaken.

Quote:
No. It's a fact.
No, it's just your opinion.

Quote:
Wrong again. I would try to explain, but I don't think you have the ability to understand.
I don't understand your apparent illiteracy. You need a dictionary to define the word "fact".

Quote:
I would like to know the *many* neighborhoods outside these lines that are asethicially pleasing and not either crime infested or surrounded by crime infested areas.
Ah... so you admit your ignorance.

Quote:
The fact is that they do not exist.
In your opinion, they don't exist.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue this anymore because there is nothing to argue.
You're not going to argue anymore because you have nothing much else to say.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,214,878 times
Quote:
It is a FACT that outside of those lines (excluding north of 635) that crime is much higher, especially violent crime.

It is a FACT that there are more unkept homes outside those lines.

It is a FACT that home values outside those lines are a fraction of what the home values are inside the lines.

It is FACT that there are very few, if any crack houses inside those lines and there are many crack houses outside those lines.

It is a FACT that city services, including road maitenence are more prevelaent inside the lines.

So, I guess you can argue your definition of "acceptable" is. If it is acceptable to live in a crime infested, run down neighborhood with crack houses, and poorly maintained roads and buildings, then I guess I would be wrong.

Most people would not accept to live in such an area if they had the choice.
I haven't investigated these exact purple lines, but I would tend to agree with Bill here. I have taken flack before for my position on this. (ducking...as I write this...) So just let me say at the outset (and Bill said this too) I am quite sure there are some exceptions but probably what Bill has said is fairly accurate in general.

It's unfortunate, but true, that many of the areas not within the purple lines do have a higher crime rate. I say this after have lived in ONE of them for about 8 years. We lived in southeast Dallas (Pleasant Grove) We, along with our neighbors dealt with continuing vandalism and theft. Finally, when a gang attempted to hold me up at gunpoint at the local Krogers parking lot, we said enough was enough. We sold our house and moved within 4 months.

Let me emphasize, too, that when we moved in our house, the area and neighborhood didn't appear "seedy" and/or run-down. The houses were new. They were adorable brick houses. We naively moved in. So I just advise people, check out the neighborhood AND the area which surrounds the neighborhood for about 5 miles either direction. Check out the crime rate in the area. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-01-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM

6,693 posts, read 13,907,351 times
So because Pleasant Grove went downhill you moved behind the walls of the purple fortress to feel safe. I have been in great to horrible neighborhoods all over the city of Dallas. There are even area's within the purple boundaries that are unsafe. I grew up in Oak Cliff and there are safe areas and unsafe areas all within Oak Cliff. I guess the OP feels like Flour Mound and Coppell are unsafe because they are not behind the walls of the purple fortress. Until he can produce some legitimate facts his opinions are just that. To pass them off as facts is a insult to anyone who reads this thread. If you want to live in a safe neighborhood do your research and check the stats of the local police department. Neighborhoods with nice yards and no clutter will always be safe. I challenge the OP to name me one neighborhood that has a average home price of 150k and is considered unsafe.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
So because Pleasant Grove went downhill you moved behind the walls of the purple fortress to feel safe. I have been in great to horrible neighborhoods all over the city of Dallas. There are even area's within the purple boundaries that are unsafe. I grew up in Oak Cliff and there are safe areas and unsafe areas all within Oak Cliff. I guess the OP feels like Flour Mound and Coppell are unsafe because they are not behind the walls of the purple fortress. Until he can produce some legitimate facts his opinions are just that. To pass them off as facts is a insult to anyone who reads this thread. If you want to live in a safe neighborhood do your research and check the stats of the local police department. Neighborhoods with nice yards and no clutter will always be safe. I challenge the OP to name me one neighborhood that has a average home price of 150k and is considered unsafe.
Good points, Grainraiser... there are safe and desirable neighborhoods all over the Dallas area, and the map the original poster presented is too restrictive, as well as paranoid.

Plus another factor... I've learned to distrust people who claim their opinions to be proven facts... they are at the height of arrogance.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM

112 posts, read 288,999 times
i can understand while people get riled up on a subject like this, but as a potential relocator with a job in DTD, i found these maps helpful.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM

50 posts, read 157,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Texan View Post
i can understand while people get riled up on a subject like this, but as a potential relocator with a job in DTD, i found these maps helpful.
Agree if you are focused on working in the Downtown area. But, many companies are not located there. Many employers have moved north from the Downtown area in favor of the north suburbs. It used to be I 635 was far north Dallas. But, North Dallas, Plano, Allen, Frisco, Coppell, Flower Mound, Lewisville, Southlake have all grown to accommodate the people who work for companies that have located away from the Downtown areas to locations north and west of downtown Dallas.

There are plenty of nice areas in Dallas and surrounding suburbs. A lot depends upon what you want - commute, lifestyle, non-work-related activities, schools (if you have school age kids), etc.

I live in Coppell and have worked Downtown, in Las Colinas and in North Dallas near the Tollway and Arapahoe. Some commutes are better than others.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Texan View Post
You are assuming they are accurate. Many of us question that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas