Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM

17 posts, read 68,749 times

Advertisements

As my name indicates I'm tired of living in Northern VA. I'd like to live in Arlington, TX and work in Dallas. Northern VA is just sucking the soul out of me. All you do here is work like a dog to barely survive because the cost of living is so high. I want to live somewhere where the cost of living is low and there is tons of stuff to do. My education and background is in the IT field so finding work will be relatively easy for me. I want to live in Arlington because it seems to be dirt cheap and then drive to Dallas for work and fun. What can anyone from that area tell me about living in Arlington, TX. I'm a single female in my mid twenties so I need someplace safe to live. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,104 times
How much do you anticipate to spend on housing? Planning on buying or renting initially? Generally the south-west, west, west central and parts of the north are the best for housing. I can narrow it down more if needed, some of my older posts might of (can search). Apartments aren't great in Arlington, some are fine but there's few I would consider living in. I haven't checked any out on the west or south side lately though. East Arlington is generally older but it's not bad in all parts. Dull in some places. Where you work in Dallas will make things easier to settle down. There are places that are inexpensive and nice between Arlington and Dallas.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM

17 posts, read 68,749 times
Thanks for your reply Arcane. I don't want to spend more than $800 per month. I'd like to rent and then purchase after six months to a year. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Safety and cleanliness are my main concerns. Are the apartments really that bad out in Arlington?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
My question is why limit yourself to Arlington. There are many places to live all around DFW area that would fit the bill. If I were your age and single I would want to live closer to the action instead of half way between Dallas-Ft. Worth. There is nothing wrong with Arlington but I am curious as to why you picked it.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM

45 posts, read 125,972 times
Default Living in Arlington

I lived in Arlington for many years and now live in Mansfield which is just south of there. Better schools, better retail, better park system etc.. You might want to check it out

Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 22,591 times
There are good app. you just have to make sure you are in a good area, and yes as Brent Jones said you may enjoy other areas as well, but Arlington in my opinion is great, you have...the rangers, six flags, water parks, cowboys (football), shopping, night clubs, fine dinning, parks mall, diversity....among other things! So happy appartment hunting!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,769 times
i live in alington and its a very good place to live in. its a nice town with many people but not very fast and not very slow either and you have everything like hospitals, theatres, walmart, sams, costco, etc. you will like it here once you make good friends and also arlingto has good apartments. just go online and find one. i like it here coz i am from a similar town as arlington... i love it here.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM

66 posts, read 43,122 times
You may also want to consider traffic and where in Dallas you would be working. I just bought a home in north Arlington and work in Dallas, but I work the night shift so have no traffic When I am headed home, the people coming into Dallas (on 183) are backed up for miles.
For the main part, you don't want to live east of Hwy 157/Collins in Arlington. Depending on your budget, you might also want to consider the Hurst/Euless/Bedford area (just north of Arlington). They will be a little more expensive than Arlington but I'm not sure if that is a deal-breaker for you.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Since the OP was in 2008, I guess she found a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas