U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,616 times

Advertisements

Hello, i am thinking about relocating from Chicago to Dallas. I am tired of the winters and want a change. How is the cost of living in Dallas, I have my kid in private school and would like to continue this. I am a renter, I would be interested in renting a home for $800? Oh! last year i visited Dallas and went to TD Jakes chuch and fell in love with Dallas then!

Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM

133 posts, read 484,694 times
Where do you live in Chicago? I don't have kids but I can help with other aspects of the transition.

I moved from Lincoln Park (Lincoln and Diversey) to Uptown in Dallas (Knox-Henderson & I-75). BOth are similar upscale neighborhoods and my cost of living is ~30% less here. That's just one example and not a study by any means, but I know everything is less expensive across the board.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:45 PM

4,777 posts, read 8,137,017 times
The cost of living is much cheaper in Dallas than Chicago. So, you want have any trouble in that department and since you like the Potters House so much. I would recommend that you would look at the Desota & Cedar Hill area.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:59 AM

1,621 posts, read 3,766,664 times
I agree with kdogg817, you could probably find something nice in the southern suburbs (DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Glenn Heights, etc.).

Old 09-29-2008, 11:52 PM

45 posts, read 138,093 times
Desoto does not have a good school system.

What type of work will you be ing and where at?

You mentioned you like the Potters House for church, but what part of Dallas will you work in.

Once you know that you can split the differnce as far as a neighbor ood to live in.

Where in Chicago do you live now?

If you tell me that I can recommend an area here in Dallas.

I moved here 6 years ago from Chicago.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 AM

434 posts, read 1,398,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylovedallas View Post
Hello, i am thinking about relocating from Chicago to Dallas. I am tired of the winters and want a change. How is the cost of living in Dallas, I have my kid in private school and would like to continue this. I am a renter, I would be interested in renting a home for $800? Oh! last year i visited Dallas and went to TD Jakes chuch and fell in love with Dallas then!

Any help would be appreciated.

so do you currently have your kid in a private school in chicago and pay $800 rent? Wow thats not a bad deal for Chicago.

I don't think you will have a hard time finding a house for rent in the $1000 range within good driving distance to the church

There is a master planned community near the church called capella park. You may find the perfect rental arrangement there since it is so close to the church and there is a school in the community
http://www.capellapark.com/location-map.html

Last edited by rosscountry; 09-30-2008 at 01:50 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 AM

1,621 posts, read 3,766,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
There is a master planned community near the church called capella park. You may find the perfect rental arrangement there since it is so close to the church and there is a school in the community
Dallas Master-Planned Community :: New Urbanism - Capella Park New Homes in Duncanville Texas :: Location Map
Here's the link to the Private School in Capella Park - Clay Academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowngal View Post
Desoto does not have a good school system.
Public schools aren't going to be an issue since the OP prefers private schools. There are a number of private schools in the cities I mentioned earlier. Speaking as a former DeSoto ISD student, there are still good schools in the district. As is the case in most of the area's districts, some schools perform better than others. While a few campuses did have a rough year when it comes to test scores, I think that it is more of a stumble than a sustained decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas