Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 PM

41 posts, read 259,235 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating next year after I graduate. I am going to be a high school science teacher and was really impressed with the starting wages of teachers in the Dallas area. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some pro's and con's of the Dallas area and what "suburbs" to avoid or look more into. Any help would be great as I am quite interested in Dallas, since everything is very economical and the pay is great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,332 times
Just got back from the Plano/Richardson area last weekend (potential employer flew me and the family out for 4 days) - here's my take.

Pros
===
Excellent salary potential
Housing is very reasonable (90-100 bucks a sq/ft!)
Good schools (I like Frisco/Plano/Mckinney/Allen)
Shopping is almost identical to the west coast, so I personally feel at home in the stores/restaurants
People I interacted with were very friendly
Pretty laid back attitude
People seemed to carry themselves with a sense of pride/confidence that almost seemed contagious

Cons
====
-Hot
-Hot
-Hot
-Did I say hot ? I mean it's 100 degrees at 8pm at night and the sun is still shining bright in the sky at that time. Not sure when people put their kids down to bed out there, probably 9:30ish once the sun is down. That long of a day would take some getting used to.
-ACs seem to run 24/7 - I was dying to just open a window and breath; I can't imagine what folks in 4,000+ sq/ft homes pay for electricity ($500+?)
-Drivers seem more erratic; I saw more near accidents in 4 days then I see all year here in Socal.
-Flat. I never realized just how much I love gentle rolling hills. This is one reason I believe transplants are attracted to Mckinney. Best terrain among the areas I visited.
-For god sakes, will someone plant some trees! I saw huge yards that did contain a single tree. Shopping centers that were treeless.
-The land looks very parched now because it has not rained in a long time. Perhaps this is why it is so hot there these past few months.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:29 PM

As for the best areas, I like the following:

West Plano (stay west of Independence)
Frisco (traffic sucks now, but the arteries being created now will help hold value)
McKinney (Stonebridge Ranch is gorgeous)

My priorities are: schools (I have little ones), low crime, conformity, accessibility

These zips worked for me: 75025, 75024, 75034 and 75035

You can buy new in Frisco and Mckinney, but homes that are just a few years old seem alot cheaper (many already have pools and nice upgrades).

Rents there are also comparable with Socal, so if you only plan to live there for a few years, you can easily rent your place and save as an investment (note that equity accumulates slowly in TX)

Lastly, can someone explain why there are no homes with the master BDR upstairs ?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:13 PM

75 posts, read 467,557 times
Socketz,
Can I ask who you are thinking of working for and where they are located? I was wondering how the commute for you would be if you are looking at the Plano/McKinney area. I am here in the Bay Area also looking at these areas, so it was nice to see your post, and that you got a good taste of what it would be like to live there. The heat is a little scary, but it would be nice to be able to afford a nice big house!!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 AM

AMYL0452,

I'm in Semis. I'd be in sales/engineering support. Servicing customers in Telecom Corridor.

Since your from the Bay Area, I suspect your in a similar industry

As for the heat, most of my friends from DFW say that the current heat wave is an anamoly and that in the summer there should only be 2-3 days a month over 100. Recall that this area normally gets alot of rain (historically) and they have not had any for nearly a year! They have real mild winters as well compared to places out east (ocassional hail storm though).

Seriously though, if your from California, the initial geography will set you back for a minute - don't be discouraged by this. The DFW airport is also harsh and very confusing, much like LAX if you want to compare. You'll feel lost at first. However, once you clear Dallas proper and get into the Richardson/Plano area, you'll start feeling comfortable again. Parts of that area feel very Orange Countyish (i.e. the areas I mentioned).

Keep it in perspective that we definitely live in a one of a kind place here with regards to incredible weather and geography, but then again it is extremely limited with regards to upward mobility and long term financial success - which is probably why your looking in TX. I sincerely think that based on the rate which Texas is attracting Technology/Financial/Blue Chip companies, that it may be the next home of the american dream. There is also a huge pool of educated workers in DFW (West Plano has the highest number of Masters Degrees for cities over 200k). For instance, Sanyo just moved their battery group out of San Diego to DFW and took most of the employees with them and were able to give them raises because the cost to operate out there was so much lower. The only thing that skews this on paper is the cost of housing and the fact that it does not rise much - but that is simply because there is so much land, not because there is a lack of opportunity.

Also, when you tell your friends your thinking about Texas, your going to get some horrible feedback from them..things like:

"Do you have a ***** loose?"
"Don't they get tornadoes all the time"
"Aren't people always getting bit by snakes/water mocassions"
"Aren't people prejudice there"
"Isn't that place full of religious zealouts that corner you in the market about which church you go to?"
"What is there to do there, there isn't any water for miles"
"Oh my God you'd live in a place where George Bush is from?"

I was there for 4 days and talked to over 20 people that have lived there their whole life....and sorry, none of them were even close to any of these stereotypes - seemed like a balanced group. And with regards to water, many don't even realize that Texas has more intercoastal recreation ponds/lakes that any other state in the US. This is one reason I like Frisco because of the proximity to Lake Lewisville.

Again, weather is a far cry from the moderate climate here.....and you'll miss the hills of CA and the high dessert.....but with all the extra money you make/save in TX, you'll have plenty of opportunity to visit.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 AM

Also, be careful wanting too much home. I found myself looking at 4400 sq/ft homes that were bigger than the El Torito in my neighborhood. Not sure anyone really needs so much home.

If you can stay around 3200 sq/ft (which is a castle in SoCal), you can find some amazing 'older' homes (maybe 7-10 years old max) for a song....pools, landscaping, remodeled kitchens...great schools....lower tax base..for about $300k or less.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:04 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Bobcat,

Being a science teacher (high school no less) you will probably have school districts left and right offering you a job. Do you want to be in your average high school? Do you want to be in a h.s. that offers IB and AP courses/programs? Magnet school? There are school districts all over the DFW area that run the gamut. I have a very good friend that teaches in the Dallas ISD at their magnet and LOVES it. But of course this is not your average high school in Dallas since it is a magnet. Her school is two schools in one and they were voted I believe #2 in the nation just recently. The DISD will pay higher than the suburban districts but then you could end up in one of the regular high schools. I'm in the Garland ISD and they are going to be building a new high school very soon, that will be #8 for the district. One of the h.s. is a math and science magnet (North Garland) and one offers the IB program (Garland HS). So if you are interested in the programs that offer the higher levels of learning at the high school level that may be something to look into. There is not much of a teacher turnover in these schools because of the strong programs. I do know with teacher shortages all over the metroplex many area school districts just recently raised the starting pay.

Good luck and God bless you. I love teachers to death. Lord knows I could not do it.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 AM

Socketz,

Don't be fooled. Whoever told you that we typically only get 2-3 days a month over a 100 degrees in the summer must have been having an illusion. Being a native it does get plenty warm here in the summer and we have more than 6-9 days a year of 100 degree plus weather. Most of our hot weather is June, July & August. But it can still be in the 90's on some days in May, Sept & Oct. We are not really in a heat wave to speak of this year at all. One of the local weathermen just did a report on that since they were receiving many questions about record heat. One of the worst was the summer of 1980. WHEW!!!!!! What was really funny (at least for us natives) was there seemed to be a huge influx of people that had just moved to the Dallas area that year. They were all dying and asking if this was "normal". Hmmmm, yep. LOL!!! But it does get plenty hot and stay hot even at night. I like to joke that it is even too hot to go swimming. When you dry off before your even out of the water. That's HOT! Or you walk by the pool and stick your foot in and can not even feel the water because it is the same temp as the air.

As for the bedtime for the kids. Lordy, if I did not put mine to bed till 9:30 ACK!!! I always hear the "but the sun is still out". I said the same thing too as a kid. They get used to it. It is nice in the summer though because the kids can stay out and play since it has cooled off a bit. The only thing then is the mosquito's. Just invest in lots of Off and some tiki torches for the backyard. Plant some marigolds as they help repeal mosquito's. But this year even those did not bloom. Nothing bloomed this year with the heat and the dry conditions.

It has been VERY DRY here for over a year. Our rainfalls have been off for over a year. Our lakes are drying up. We are all on water ratioining and there are stiff penalties for ignoring it. Check the cities for their water rates before deciding on one. Some have recently increased their rates because of it. Some have inacted penalties for over usage. So do your homework. While you may like the lakes and the recreational benefits, right now none of us are enjoying it at all. We have a lake house and our peir and boat ramp are dry as are all of them on the entire lake. There are only a few lakes around that still have their ramps open and that is only because they draw water from the other lakes as their source. Even some that have ramps still in water have restricted use on them because of the low levels and people getting into trouble by running into trees and such. If you are in the market for a boat, I would say take a weekend to go driving out East of Dallas around many of the lakes and you will have many to choose from. It really is sad though.

As for D/FW Airport, hmm, you must have been in the new terminal? The old terminals are not too bad at all. We came through the new terminal on our last flight in recently and it was confusing. The person that was supposed to be helping everyone telling them where to go said that baggage claim was "behind the stairs" and I looked and saw no stairs in sight or anything that resembled stairs... Come to find out she meant the escalator a block away.

I totally agree w/ you on the trees or lack thereof. I love going on vacation to places and seeing even the shopping centers parking lots covered in trees. There are even parts of Texas like that. But not in the Dallas area. Everything around here is concrete and more concrete. If the cities plant trees in the medians people complain. Seriously. Blows my mind because trees help the air by cleaning it and cooling it. Our yard is full of trees and I LOVE IT!!! We also live near several large tracts of park land and a golf course that is full of trees and creeks. So at least I get to see lots of trees everyday. And a few "rolling hills", err, gentle rises in topography. The cities have gotten tougher on developers about clear cutting but there are still too many loopholes around it. Plus you get the developers that go out and do it overnight.

Yes, the Dallas area is pretty good on the real estate front right now. Prices have not gone up at all in the last few years. There has only been a slight increase but I do see that changing. What, with the large influx of businesses relocating here from California. About 2 years ago not much was selling in the $150-300K range. But anything under or over that was selling before the sign could get in the yard. For $300K you will be able to find you a nice house in a nice neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:04 AM

As for electricity bills. Be careful here. While Texas has deregulated some areas are not allowed to use someone different. Like I live in Garland and we must use GP&L. I have lived where we had TXU and have relatives that do and the rates are about the same but w/ a newer home in GP&L territory my bills are better. Yes our a/c runs almost 24/7 right now and we just like to keep it "comfortable". Just take precautionst to keep your system running efficiently. Change your filters monthly, tint your windows (this REALLY helps and most of the upper end builders already do this), plant trees in strategic places of your yard (but NOT next to your house = foundation problems), check seals on doors and windows, use ceiling fans, make sure you have enough vents and your ductwork is in good shape, etc. Our most recent elec bill was about $775 but that is for a home that is 2 story, 4/4/3 4800 sq ft, pool, me and 2 kids at home all summer w/ dogs going in and out. My sis that lives in Plano in an older ranch home, 1 story, 3/2/2 2200 sq ft, both work, no one home during the day, etc. theirs was $550. My aunt & uncle that recently bought a home in Garland that is fairly new, 3/3/2 1 story, 2800 sq ft, pool, both retired and at home all day, theirs was right at $500.

LOL! I love to raise my windows. We recently had some paint work done inside in the master bed & bath. The day they were finished the high was only in the low to mid 80's and the humidity level was low. I raised the windows in the entire house. It was AWESOME!!!!! Come Fall I love to raise the windows to let the house "air out" after being closed up for the summer heat.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Foundations. If you are going to be buying an older or existing home, REALLY check this out. Especially right now w/ our extreme dry conditions. Getting a house that has had some foundation work done is not all that bad if it was done properly and the warranty transfers to the new owner. Not all houses in Texas have foundation work done nor do they need it. Look for tell-tell signs. Cracks in the walls and in the brick, doors that don't close or open, etc. Very small fine cracks are one thing. Finding cracks in the brickwork that go from the foundation to the eaves is another. Even new homes are liable to have foundation problems (been there, done that, moved). If the builder/developer is building on a parcel that was filled in and the ground not properly done before building. But right now w/ our weather conditions, if someone is not taking care of their foundation it will have problems. Most of the North Texas region is clay. It shrinks and swells horribly. There are a few areas that have white rock (my house now is on such). With the clay the moisture content needs to stay consistent or close to the same. Letting large cracks appear in the ground around the house is not good. Some cracks can get large enough to swallow a small animal. LOL!!! This is also why planting VERY large shrubs or trees next to the foundation is not good. They suck up the water that the foundation needs. Why on earth people let their shrubs grow up to the eaves of their house I will never understand.

You can get an engineers report for the foundation done on a house before you buy it but you will have to pay for it. They can run anywhere from $300-500. If you find a house you love and see a few signs that concern you this might be well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas