Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:35 PM

37 posts, read 211,353 times

Advertisements

I've read a lots about your postings on Dallas and the surroundings. I'll be moving from Florida, I visited Dallas several times and what really caught my attention was the job market especially in my field, IT industry. I know the weather is very aggressive and the real estate is too cheap...Please break it down for me... What is the catch? I only have 3 months before I decide. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 11,618 times
So, does anyone know anything about Lavon, Tx??

Old 09-18-2006, 10:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
Lavon is closer to Dallas than Ft Worth. Many people on the Tarrant County side may not have even heard of it. Unless they have a nice little souviner from their local "meet & greet" as they are famous for that. In other words they got caught speeding thru the town.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjnh View Post
So, does anyone know anything about Lavon, Tx??
What do you want to know about it? It's by Lake Lavon for one. Which right now is more like Pond Lavon.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,403,133 times
I believe Lake Lavon is in Wylie.

Wylie is rural and so-so.

Depending on your situation (family vs. single, suburban vs. urban, etc.), Dallas has a ton of nice communities to chose from.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 AM

There is also a town of Lavon. Lavon is more rural. Wylie is not really on the "shores" of Lake Lavon. Wylie is growing and has turned into a small bedroom community of a small city on the edge of the suburbs of Dallas in Collin County. Wylie does have a Walmart, Home Depot, strip centers and such just like every other place around here. Pain in the you know what as far as traffic and getting out of in the mornings and into in the evenings. Not much "rural" left of Wylie except for small patches of areas around the city that have not been incorporated into the city.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
Default Existing homes or New homes

Momo, after reading the details you gave on the suburbs, I still don't know which is a better place to live as nothing really stood out. I wonder when you say bad traffic, if there is worst or slightly better than Los Angeles. I also wonder if it is better to buy existing homes that are 30 years old in Farmers Branch or one of those New KBHomes in Monterry Park. Do I want the unknow of fixing a house with lead paint or a new home with association fees.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 PM

21 posts, read 77,405 times
Default North Plano!

I lived in North Plano so I may be bias but I really love living here. The area is fairly new and housing is still affordable (~2x avg household income). You have access to major highway/freeway in the area (Hwy 121 to airport, Dallas tollway, and central expressway aka 75) and there are several malls (from low-end to high-end and even premium outlet) and restaurants! The area (this applies to North plano, I'm not sure about Plano) is fairly safe and you can still see kids playing on the street (at least in my community). If you like water sport, there is lake lewisville within 10 miles. School system is still one of the best in Dallas but yes, they are competitive.

The HOA fee is not really that much and of course depends on what kind of amenities you have. For a normal community, we are talking about ~200-500 hundreds a year.

Dallas traffic is definitely better than LA (not sure now but at least when I was there 13 years ago) but do expect avg 45-60 minutes commute time during rush hours.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:08 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,403,133 times
alphaforcex,

Describe the area that your referring to as North Plano.

For instance, is it west of Preston and North of Parker ? 75093 ? Near North Dallas Tollway ?

I like that area as well and am still searching for the most kid friendly place in North Dallas (i.e. tons of 'Play' parks with swings and such, excellent schools, low crime, kids playing on the streets, etc.).

I live in one of these 'trick or treat' neighborhoods now and am struggling to find another. Stonebridge seems close, but I'm lookng for others.

For the next few months I'll be staying at the La Ventura apartments across from Centennial Elementary. I'm hoping to lock down an area by Christmas.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Default Lakewod is wonderful

Look for a home in Lakewood and you'll be near White Rock Lake, the only real green space in Dallas. Plus, the schools are great. Anywhere else you love north will just be the burbs with no character and no trees. Southlake is OK but it has no real culture or history....check out Lakewood if you want to be in town but have space of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas