Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:54 PM

35 posts, read 108,330 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am a 28 year old single girl, no ties or issues and I am going to Dallas this summer to check out areas to live in, as I am moving there on Jan 1, 2008 from San Diego (originally from horrid Las Vegas). I was just wondering, what areas you guys can recommend? I have read enough to stay away from the Hillbilliy areas (thank you Dallasson), but I am not trying to live RIGHT downtown, either, made that mistake when I first moved to San Diego. I went to the Superbowl a few years back in Dallas and stayed in Irving in the Las Colinas area, and I found it really nice!

What do you guys think, I just can't wait to pay in the $100's for a nice townhome. Any information would be appreciated--I have read previous posts about this, but none of the people asking for suggestions are my same demographic.

Thanks

P.S. Don't give a hoot about schools....ain't got no kids (and ain't planning on any!)

Thanks again

Last edited by Vegasnat; 02-11-2007 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Addison is a nice area for single folks. There are plenty of good restaurants, bars, a jazz club, the Improv comedy club, etc. There are plenty of jobs nearby, and great shopping all within minutes.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help, I will probably stay in the insurance industry, and I think most of them are located downtown and in Irving, is Addison close to either of these areas?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 06:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
It's pretty much a straight shot from Addison to downtown via the Dallas North Toll Rd, but you do have tolls. Las Colinas is a quick ride on 635 as well.

I'm not 100% sure what the traffic is like to either location, I've only been in the area for a few months and haven't been over there around rush hour.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks a bunch, I really do appreciate it.

I am coming from San Diego, and you really can't get any worse than the traffic here, so it wouldn't bother me if there was, I would just hate to make a move to TX for the better and end up still spending 1/2 of my life on the freeway.

Thanks again

PS What are your thoughts on Irving and Grapevine?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:00 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
You can find townhomes for sure here in the 100s. The odd thing is that townhomes often cost more per square foot than detached homes.

Where do Hillbillies live here, I want to see one. This place is way more metro than San Diego. Your going to be suprised. Very little country, lotz of city.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 PM

According to Dallasson, I thinnk is was a town that started with an R (Rowley? Rowton?) Whatever, he hated it. It was a funny post.

I would actually like the house but the taxes on the property and the yardcare ( I AM a single girl) are prohibiting that.

I actually was surprised once I moved to SD at how rural some areas of the county are...it was really wierd.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 PM

144 posts, read 935,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasnat View Post
According to Dallasson, I thinnk is was a town that started with an R (Rowley? Rowton?) Whatever, he hated it. It was a funny post.

I would actually like the house but the taxes on the property and the yardcare ( I AM a single girl) are prohibiting that.

I actually was surprised once I moved to SD at how rural some areas of the county are...it was really wierd.
That's what I like about it!

How did you like living in downtown SD? I live in Encinitas and I go downtown sometimes, but not a lot. It seems like for most north county people, san diego starts at La Jolla and ends in Oceanside.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM

You are funny!

I agree about the North County people, though, I have friends in Cardiff, who do not even know that there is a 125 freeway.

As for downtown...hated it. Bums in quantities I cannot describe that have cartoon like flies that surround them. I normally don't care about homeless people, as in I am not rude to them and I don't find them gross, but what killed me about the ones in downtown SD were that they were, like, brazen! They would yell at me on the street and ask for my number, literally! Then as I would get off the 5 South to the Imperial offramp, where there is a huge shelter, there would be bums fighting in the middle of the offramp, literally! I would have to come to a screeching halt and flash my lights at them to get them to move! Nuts!

I am not squeemish, so I waited a year, but then I hightailed it out of there but good. I now live in Mission Valley (not the central trafficked part, more like Mission Gorge area) and I love it so much more.

I think North County is gorgeous...just not my scene.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
I just moved to Plano from Milford, TX (pop 685). It's about as rural as you can get and still be in a town. And while it's certainly doesn't have a singles scene, a nightlife, or much else. I found the people there to be, for the most part, some of the best people I've ever met. We moved there from South Carolina and had no ties to the area. But they welcomed us with open arms and we quickly made friends. You know people have accepted you and care about you, when the chief of the fire department and the baptist preacher are conspiring to sabotage you moving efforts, just to keep you there.

Not that I'd recommend that you as a single girl move there or, to any rural area except for a job, but it's not all a scene out of "Deliverance" as some would have you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas