Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 64,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
It is a computer science class; definately not a bi-lingual class.

Nobody is arguing with you. We just have problems that you may not be aware of being out of state - here is more info:
DISD In the Hole - News - Dallas Observerpage 1 - Dallas Observer

Don't know what is happening in other cities in Tx.
I'm sorry! I wasn't saying that you were arguing with me, I just felt overwhelmed with the comments made by the last person to respond before me. Thank you for the link, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
How could DISD be possibly hiring right now??? Hiring freeze, layoffs. If they are hiring right now the news media would like to know about it, I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikalyn View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument or create a problem here, I was simply asking a question that I deserve to have an answer to. Honestly, I don't really think the 'news media' should be so concerned with what the district is doing regarding hiring/firing teachers as they are with the situation that those poor kids are left in, that's obviously the real issue here. And, it's not even for right now.
Quote:
I'm sorry! I wasn't saying that you were arguing with me, I just felt overwhelmed with the comments made by the last person to respond before me. Thank you for the link, I appreciate it.

Well, I think what happened is when we ALL read your first question posed about getting offered a teaching position we ALL were STUNNED!!! The news media has been plastered with it around here and I'm pretty sure most of us thought that maybe you had not heard about it being out of state. We don't want YOU to get your hopes set on one thing that most likely will not pan out and miss another opportunity. We all answered your question but if it is not the answer you want to hear we can't help that. We are just VERY familiar with what is going on w/in the DISD and the teacher problem. We are seeing friends and family living in limbo right now waiting to see if they are going to have a job by the end of the day. You can't blame us for that or feeling and answering your question like we did.

I honestly DO think the news media SHOULD be reporting this problem. If the news media does NOT report it and parents and tax payers are not paying attention they would not have a clue as the budget woes going on or the teachers getting laid off. Trust me, once your our age and a parent with kids in a district that is having problems or paying taxes in a district that is having problems you will WANT the news media to report it. Especially when it is to the tune of the BUDGET being SHORT MILLIONS of dollars. If your teaching in a district that is having these kinds of problems and you are worried if YOUR JOB is on the block your going to want to know if the district IS hiring other teachers still. Usually the ONLY way to hear about it is thru the news media. So lighten up on that one If it were not in the media and none of us knew about it we would all be saying, "sure come on, we'd love to have ya". Instead because we DO know about the issues due to the news media we are giving you a fair warning which in your shoes you should appreciate.

As for the students left to have to deal with it. We all know how bad of shape they are going to be in once this is over with. Only by knowing that this is happening can we do something about it. I don't think there is a one of us that is not concerned about the students in this matter.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 PM

17 posts, read 64,959 times
I spoke with a teacher from the Houston area yesterday and he said he would not reccomend living in Dallas right now if you're looking to pursue a teaching career because so many people are out looking that it's going to be hard to find one. I will still be moving to Texas, but most likely to Austin, Houston or San Antonio. Sorry if I came accross as clueless or rude or anything, I don't mean to seem that way as I obviously mistook the tone of the replies, but I really do appreciate all the advice that was given to me. Thank you for your help!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
How could DISD be possibly hiring right now??? Hiring freeze, layoffs. If they are hiring right now the news media would like to know about it, I'm sure.

Maybe they are actually hiring DECENT teachers for a change! The layoffs are probably the teachers that ain't worth 10 cents!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Unfortunately, some of the teachers that are being let go are the decent teachers who inspire the kids and not just drone on and on. They get the kids thinking and excited.

Dealey has lost their hands on science teacher and Stonewall may have as well.

At one school, a 5th grade teacher was transferred to another school to teach 2nd grade. She is certified to teach 4-8. When she arrived to the 2nd grade classroom, she had no supplies or a rolebook - they belonged to the previous teacher who took her supplies with her when she left.

This is the short-sightedness of DISD.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,431 times
I was driving behind a DISD box truck this week and the truck had several "Teach for Dallas" billboards on it. They obviously don't have the $$$ or common sense to remove or paint over their outdated advertising banners, either.

The teachfordallas.com website is still active and still accepting online applications!! Perhaps this is what the prospective Dallas teacher here read and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Thumbs down Avoid at all costs

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new to this board and have a few questions that I was hoping you could answer for me.

I'm currently a college student in AL, originally from NJ, and I came across an opportunity within the Dallas ISD that looked too good to be true. I've done some research and have even contacted the district and everything seems pretty legitimate. However, I was informed by an acquaintance I know that lives in the DFW area about the budget issues within the district and that is something that really worries me, considering I'd be working within the district. Can anyone tell me a little more about the budgeting issues? You can do it through DM if you'd like, I just want to hear it from someone who is closely involved/has heard a lot about it.

Another thing, if I do take advantage of the opportunity within the Dallas ISD, I will have to be there for 8 weeks over the summer (right after I graduate) for training. I'm probably going to stay with a friend of my parents', who lives in Grand Prairie, for those 8 weeks until I get a paycheck and can afford to live on my own. Here's my question: which areas of Dallas should I really avoid? I'm looking for something that's nice, but also affordable, inside the actual city. I would eventually like to be able to save up enough money to buy a house in one of the suburbs, so I would definitely like to live in Dallas while I still can. So, what areas would you really advise against? Thank you so much in advance!
Hey,
Do yourself a favor and avoid Oak Cliff, South Dallas, Lower Greenville Ave. Lemon Ave. area. The further you move into North Dallas the less crime, armed robbery, blacks with an attitude, and burglary you will encounter.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondman View Post
Hey,
Do yourself a favor and avoid Oak Cliff, South Dallas, Lower Greenville Ave. Lemon Ave. area. The further you move into North Dallas the less crime, armed robbery, blacks with an attitude, and burglary you will encounter.
Hey do yourself a favor and ignore this post.
There are great areas in Oak Cliff, Lower Greenville has historic home districts just off it. Much of Lemon avenue runs through Oak Cliff(oops meant oak lawn) the gay neighborhood of Dallas.

Last edited by Macbeth2003; 10-24-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: To correct my stupid typing of Cliff instead of Lawn

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,224 times
I left a job in June 08 to pursue a position via DISD's Alternative Certification Program. I knew there was a problem when the Admin office stopped returning my calls. I finally tracked someone down and her comment was 'it's all a chess game'...we don't know when we will again unfreeze the spots. Your file is on the top of our list. DISD should have been more forthcoming about their financial situationbefore ripping off so many applicants at $50 a pop. Thanks to them, I am unemployed and out $50! Don't waste your $ or time applying for a job with such a corrupt organization.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:19 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
They just reported this morning that DISD has job openings. Seems more teachers took the early retirement option than expected. A district spokesman indicated that the layed off teachers would have reapply in order to be hired. This district is being run by total morons. When I heard this I could only shake my head in disbelief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas