Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 PM

15 posts, read 24,062 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Dallas in the next few months for my husband's job (in Irving) and am wondering what area would be best for us. We have a 5 month old baby and would like to live in a community with a lot of other young families with nearby parks, good schools, safe neighborhood, etc. We've been living in downtown Washington DC for the last several years and are used to urban living. We're ready to move into a suburban area but would like a somewhat lively community- shops and restaurants close by. We'll be renting at first and are interested in townhome/apartment communities with newer amenities. So far I've been told Los Colinas is nice and in close proximity to my husband's work. I've also heard Valley Ranch and Coppell are good areas. And, I've heard many good things about Plano, specifically West Plano and the Shops at Legacy area. Would Plano be too far a commute to Irving? Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated. I've never even been to Texas so any feedback would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,563,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve720 View Post
I will be moving to Dallas in the next few months for my husband's job (in Irving) and am wondering what area would be best for us. We have a 5 month old baby and would like to live in a community with a lot of other young families with nearby parks, good schools, safe neighborhood, etc. We've been living in downtown Washington DC for the last several years and are used to urban living. We're ready to move into a suburban area but would like a somewhat lively community- shops and restaurants close by. We'll be renting at first and are interested in townhome/apartment communities with newer amenities. So far I've been told Los Colinas is nice and in close proximity to my husband's work. I've also heard Valley Ranch and Coppell are good areas. And, I've heard many good things about Plano, specifically West Plano and the Shops at Legacy area. Would Plano be too far a commute to Irving? Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated. I've never even been to Texas so any feedback would be great!
Las Colinas would be so, very convenient, and it's a great area. Technically it's in Irving, so your search will have to be zip-code based. Definitely want to stay north of 183 . Oh, and for some fun views of Irving/Las Colinas, watch the Mike Judge classic "Office Space" with Jennifer Aniston, filmed almost entirely in that area. When I get homesick, I pop it in for a good laugh and some great nostalgia. Enjoy!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 AM

434 posts, read 1,473,748 times
Quote:

legacy shops in plano, tx--if you must go that far out :walkable

uptown area in dallas, tx--the most urban on my list: completely walkable

lakewood area in dallas : walkable within

park cities area in dallas: walkable areas within

Oaklawn area in dallas:walkable

big park, arts district planned for downtown dallas so don't live to far away.

if you do the suburbs: single family home community get ready for a huge adjustment..

I came from downtown chicago condo living prior to moving to Dallas. I lived in downtown dallas and finally built a home in the burbs--it took over 2 years to get adjusted..maybe you'll be lucky and adjust faster.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

11,799 posts, read 26,583,560 times
Quote:
I will be moving to Dallas in the next few months for my husband's job (in Irving) and am wondering what area would be best for us. We have a 5 month old baby and would like to live in a community with a lot of other young families with nearby parks, good schools, safe neighborhood, etc. We've been living in downtown Washington DC for the last several years and are used to urban living. We're ready to move into a suburban area but would like a somewhat lively community- shops and restaurants close by. We'll be renting at first and are interested in townhome/apartment communities with newer amenities. !
I would seriously recommend Valley Ranch. It will be a very short commute for hubby and there are LOTS of shopping and restaurants. One downside is that they are not as walkable as you'd like...

For a walkable retail area close to Irving, check out Southlake Town Square. It is easily walkable and you'll see lots of other young mothers there with children during the day. I'd recommend living close to it, but there are not any apartments in Southlake and the few townhomes in the area are all owned, not rented, and sold for over $250k.

You could look in Grapevine, too. I live here and love it! There are lots of small apartment building scattered throughout town, and rental properties are easy to find, too. Grapevine has an awesome community and wonderful parks and rec activities, especially for young families.

Quote:
Would Plano be too far a commute to Irving? Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated. I've never even been to Texas so any feedback would be great!
I'd say NO. Unless you'd want your husband spending an hour each way in the car, sitting in traffic and paying $ in tolls on the George Bush Tollroad.

Good luck with the move!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,184,993 times
Eve, take a look on a map and find Hiway 114 and the Dallas North Tollway. Hiway 114 goes right thru Las Colinas, very near to a telecom HQ (This is Verizon territory) and on up to Grapevine and beyond. DNToll goes up through Plano and beyond.

You'd be satisfied with just about anything north of I-635, particularly Coppell, Flower Mound and The Colony. These areas would be more like new growth in the Columbia MD area. Without the trees.

Last edited by WillysB; 10-16-2008 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,328,422 times
Las Colinas, Coppell, and Valley Ranch are all very nice and very convenient Irving.

I live right near Flower Mound and it is very, very nice, more a small town vibe. Also, excellent schools and restaurants, and some nice shopping is all over. If nothing else, the D/FW area has a ton of shopping.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,952,739 times
A lot of the city of Dallas is laid out in a suburban manner. The older and trendier parts that are more walkable started out as streetcar suburbs. So it's not strictly urban vs. suburban as you might think..

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 PM

11 posts, read 48,940 times
I think you shoud check out Lakewood... of course I'm partial cause I live here. It is a neat, historic neighborhood with one of the best schools in Dallas (Lakewood Elementary). Lakewood is not a suburb, but a city neighborhood... with tons of charming cottages, eclectic homes and architecturally significant homes. It is a diverse neighborhood politcally, has it's own mini "square" area with shops and resturants, is close to major highways, has tons of trees and charm.... great neighborhood feel with lots of dog walking, street parties, a great July 4th parade, is adjacent to White Rock Lake with biking and walking trails....plus very close to downtown, uptown, Greenville Avenue, the Arts District, SMU and Love Field. Not as close to Irving as Coppell or Valley Ranch, but more charm and character than these put together. A mix of old and young; we love it.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:12 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,328,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogblitz View Post
I think you shoud check out Lakewood... of course I'm partial cause I live here. It is a neat, historic neighborhood with one of the best schools in Dallas (Lakewood Elementary). Lakewood is not a suburb, but a city neighborhood... with tons of charming cottages, eclectic homes and architecturally significant homes. It is a diverse neighborhood politcally, has it's own mini "square" area with shops and resturants, is close to major highways, has tons of trees and charm.... great neighborhood feel with lots of dog walking, street parties, a great July 4th parade, is adjacent to White Rock Lake with biking and walking trails....plus very close to downtown, uptown, Greenville Avenue, the Arts District, SMU and Love Field. Not as close to Irving as Coppell or Valley Ranch, but more charm and character than these put together. A mix of old and young; we love it.

Lakewood is absolutely gorgeous. I grew up there.

However, it would be a brutal commute.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 PM

15 posts, read 24,062 times
Thanks for all of the responses! They're very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas