Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:39 PM

39 posts, read 64,786 times

Advertisements

i'm sure this is a longshot, but i figured i'd ask...

are there any smaller towns east/southeast of dallas (within an hour of dallas or so) that are perhaps not hyper-conservative? we're texans looking to get back from a banishment in the northeast. and the one thing we know we're going to miss up here is a culture that is decidedly more liberal. i'm not republican-bashing, just hoping to find a community where we won't be totally out of place.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Nope, none, nada, zilch.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 PM

39 posts, read 64,786 times
ok, how about one where we can put up an obama sign and still be able to get playdates for our kids?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times
tyler?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Tyler which is about 1 1/2 hours east of Dallas has become more tolerant of Liberal points of view over the past few years. Most people here of course are Republican & after all this is the red state of Texas, but I think its gotten to the point though where people really don't care much anymore what political side you're on.

Whats funny is the teens here in Tyler try so hard to put on this Liberal Austin attitude as if its the coolest place on the face of the planet. Most of them however are UT rejects that go to UT-Tyler.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momrock View Post
ok, how about one where we can put up an obama sign and still be able to get playdates for our kids?
Trust me.......... there are PLENTY of people in the Dallas area and suburbs that are sporting Obama stickers on their cars, t-shirts and yard signs. I have yet to see one get their car or house torched because of it. Sure there are people here that live their political beliefs on their sleeves. I don't need to go into a business and hear about how if I "don't vote for" I'm wrong. Most people fall into the catagory of not sporting their political affiliation on themselves all over the place and just don't talk about it in public. So you can come to the Dallas area and live comfortably and not be bashed for supporting whatever candidate you want. There will be a few that will but not EVERYONE!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 AM

29 posts, read 139,586 times
Buy on November 5th and you won't have an issue:-) We just moved here from LA and I have to say, the people in Dallas are really nice. I assume I don't share a political point of view with most of them (I voted vote by mail in California for Obama) - but I have only met really stellar people so far. We are looking to buy as well. You should look in Lakewood/Lake Highlands or Cedar Hill. That's where we are honing our search - more diverse points of view in those sections. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
I live about 11 miles north of Tyler in a community called Lindale....(actually Hideaway Lake) and there are several Obama signs up there...then on FM 849 there are two HUGE signs as well as on the way into Tyler on 110. So even way out here in the sticks.....(LOL) we have Obama fans....I've sold several houses to people who I thought would never fit in because of their views or ideas....and they love it!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:39 PM

63 posts, read 365,694 times
I live in Forney TX, about 25min from Dallas on the other side of Sunnyvale and I would say we are pretty liberal out here. We have a lot of new blood which I think helps!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Isn't Winnsboro supposed to be that way?

I am absolutely surrounded by Obama signs...usually they have the "Vote Democratic" sign with it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas