Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM

12 posts, read 33,873 times

Advertisements

My wife is considering an opportunity with her company in Dallas. She is an accounting manager with a national firm. I work as a call center manager. Can anyone tell me which companies have large call centers in the DFW area and are there any recruiters that specialize in this area?

We have lived in Las Vegas for just over 2 years as a result of a job transfer for my wife (same company). Before we moved here I used to think Vegas was a great place for a vacation. After 2 years I can tell you that it is a great place for a vacation, you just don't want to live here.

I'd also like to hear comments about the weather in Dallas. We are originally from the northeast where the winters are awful and the summers are humid. After 2 summers in the desert where the temperature is regularly over 110 degrees, I can't imagine Dallas is much worse. But you know what they say, "It's a dry heat" in Las Vegas. So is the inside of your oven.

What about tornados? Crime? Culture?(Vegas is a cultural wateland.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,456,871 times
Dallas summers are much better than Las Vegas summers. People think Dallas has humid summers, but it's not a strong humidity, unlike the South or the Northeast. The summers are very comfortable there. Now Houston, is another story.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 AM

12 posts, read 33,873 times
Thanks. I probably have an inflated idea of the frequency/severity of tornados based on the media attention they seem to get. Are they a big concern in the metroplex area? One of our main reasons for moving to Las Vegas was to get away from the weather extremes in the northeast.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:46 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,702,382 times
DFW is at the southern tip of tornado alley. I haven't been here long enough to know first hand that there aren't a lot of tornados, but the statistics show that they're not as frequent here as they would be about 4-6 hours north of here.

I moved from Virginia and within a 3 month period we had a major hurricane which took out power for 12 days, a tornado, an earthquake (albeit very minor), and a flood. So no matter where you move you will see some risk.

At least here there are warning sirens, so if a tornado rips through, you know it's coming. Also, the path of destruction is narrow. You won't see a hurricane this far inland.

One thing to keep in mind about the DFW area is that it's very windy... so in the winter time it can get cold when you factor in the wind. I hear this winter is abnormally cold, it was 16 last night, and then factor in a 12 mph wind and it was bone chilling. But that same wind makes a 100 degree day feel wonderful.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:56 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,134,826 times
This is an interesting thread for me. My friend is thinking of moving to DFW, but I keep thinking that the weather is bad for me. I HATE humidity! I live where it's so dry, but very hot. The only humidity that I have really experienced was in upstate NY every summer as a child. 90% yuck! Also, some when I visit Chicago.

So, you say it's not like that where you live? I also like some wind, we rarely get that in Phx.

I think I will have to take a trip out to DFW area sometime.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,752,847 times
You like "some wind"? Then Dallas is THE place. A few years ago they actually said that Dallas is windier than Chicago and today is one of those days. The sun is out and beautiful, 57 degrees, need the a/c in the car as it gets pretty warm but step outside and that wind is when you need a jacket or light coat. We have more wind damage when storms come thru more than anything else. Years ago it was assumed that some of the storm damage was from tornados but now they have proven that more is from straight line winds and not tornados. I've never experienced any damage other than our fence once a few years ago but that is more common than anything else, fences or pieces of fences blowing down if they are weak. Tornados are not really an issue. I'm a 40+ year native, parents grew up here, extended family here, etc and have never had anyone family nor friends that have experienced a torndado firsthand. To the west towards Arlington and Ft Worth, they see more tornadic activity than the Dallas area if your just looking at the DFW metroplex. The meterologists have gotten more sophisticated equipment over the years along w/ what we have learned in that area and they can pretty well predict if there is a threat of the possibility of tornados developing and will issue warnings or watches. Once a month the cities test their emergency sirens so you will know in advance if there is a threat. As I said though, in my 40+ years I've yet to see a tornado. The closest I have come was one on Mothers Day in 1993 that hit the ground about 5 miles from our house in a VERY low populated area.

Humidity, the humidity in Dallas is NOTHING like the humidity of the tropics, south Florida or along the coast or the Gulf of Mexico. It does get humid but nothing in comparison. We have actually had a much colder and longer winter this year and then watching all of that snow being dumped in other places and the REALLY low temps in the northeast and midwest I am NOT going to complain about our few days of 100+ degree weather ever again.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:23 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,406,833 times
I'm from CA and everyone told me how 'humid' it is here in the Summer.

Not so. It's pretty dry. Not Palm Springs/Las Vegas dry, but nothing like the Northeast where you soak you t-shirt after spending 10 mins outdorrs in July (Houston and Austin are worse, Dallas in inland).

The Winters are also mild. sure it was cold last week, but it's over 50 degrees and sunny this weekend. As for Tornadoes, I work with 6-10 people that grew up in the area. None of them have been affected by a Tornado.

Not to say it wont happen, but the odds are in your favor.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,702,382 times
I think it's hilarious when people keep telling me that it gets humid in Dallas. Back in Virginia it got humid... walk outside in the summer and you'll be drenched in 15 minutes. Our double pane windows would steam up when we had the A/C on high.

It may get humid right after a rain storm, but it wasn't oppresive. The 100 degree days here don't bother me nearly as much as the 80 degree days back in VA.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,134,826 times
Thanks everyone, it's helping me get a perspective. All I can do is experience it myself. Since I've lived in AZ my whole life, I am very used to and love the dryness. Whenever our humidity goes up even just a little, I feel it. It's all relative.

When would be a good time to visit to experience Dallas? In the middle of the summer, or some other time? Perferably when it's most humid.

What I don't like about phx is the heat. Over 100 days of 100 degree and over days! It just drags on forever! Do you think Dallas is better in regards to our weather?

Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,406,833 times
Honestly, Dallas is pretty close to Phnx with regards to brutal summers.

Winters are mild, but summers are some of the worst in the US. Last summer I think we had almost 100 days straight over 100.

At that time, I was thinking about moving here and there was weeks where every night I would watch the news from San Diego and each night, Dallas was the top 1 or 2 with regards to temp. And at night, no relief (some days the only place hotter was death valley).

Summers are brutal here....I don't want you to think otherwise. If you need mild summers, then try the PacWest or CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas