Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,230 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a change in this site from 12-18 months ago compared to now. I definately think it correlates with the economy.

When people would ask about a great place to live and relocate to all I heard about was Frisco, McKinny and Southlake. It seems nowdays, the hotspot recommendations seem to be the "first and second string suburbs" (Carrollton, Farmer's Branch, Coppell, etc.) and also more south of Dallas (Duncanville, Cedar Hill, etc.) and way south of Dallas (Midlothian, etc.)

I also notice less people asking about relocation advice. Most people tend to be local in this forum. I especially see a drop in the Californians posting. I'm guess this is reflecting a real economic change with Dallas economy and real estate market.

Anyone else notice this, or am I off base. Very intersting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
As a former Dallas-ite living in California, I've noticed that the housing crash here has made it difficult for anyone to move from here. Either they've been renting and are excited about the houses getting cheaper, so have decided to try and stay, or they're so upside-down on their house that they can't sell, so couldn't move if they wanted to. Tough times.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Oh, phew, that's good news! I hate that we're growing into one massive urban sprawl like Los Angeles. Enough! I can hardly find any local Texans anymore! lol!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Oh, phew, that's good news! I hate that we're growing into one massive urban sprawl like Los Angeles. Enough! I can hardly find any local Texans anymore! lol!
Hahaha! Well, you'll also be happy to know that there are a lot of CA transplants who are trying to come back here to take advantage of this tanked housing market. I think they're all crazy, but to each his own . I would personally way rather live in the DFW metroplex, in the middle of so much, close to cultural and educational opportunities, with jobs still available, in the great state of Texas than come and live in the middle of nowhere in California in a foreclosed house on a block full of other foreclosed houses and have to drive an hour just to get into 'the city', and have a 90 mile commute round trip to work, and p.s. still pay $200K, just so I can say I live in CA. But if their hearts are here, I wish them well .

Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Interesting observation OP. I haven't been on here long enough to give any opinion but that would be interesting to know. Maybe Moderators can chime in.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Interesting observation OP. I haven't been on here long enough to give any opinion but that would be interesting to know. Maybe Moderators can chime in.
The OP is right on target... I'd estimate the relocation requests for info just in the Dallas forum down at least 50% from this time last year... maybe more.

Times... they are a'changing. But, the Dallas' economy is steady... and while it may dip here and there... will remain strong. This is the third shift or slowdown, both in housing and job opportunities, I've personally witnessed here in the past 30 years... and it always turns around, coming back even better and stronger. The Dallas area is well diversified economically to weather even the direst of circumstances, thus while some industries/job opportunities/housing may experience a slow down or even dry up to some degree for one product/expertise/area, others will at the same time expand. The key to survival here is to have yourself situated where it frees you to be flexible enough to go with these times.

That said, I would never, ever recommend anyone moving anywhere right now without a job in hand... even to the Dallas area!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-19-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
For me personally, I have given so much advice and feel like everytime I write, it is a broken record. I will personally try to start writing again.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
I don't think out responses our that different as much as the people looking for homes are different.
I've seen less people looking for cookie cutter homes and stuff...

Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Now that I think about it when I joined CD last year there did seem to be a lot more request here for info on relocating. I am finding that I haven't been able to read too many request lately. Hmmm, again good observation OP. I never made that connection.

Well, at least folks are being wise about relocating in this economy if that is the reason.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM

27 posts, read 126,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
For me personally, I have given so much advice and feel like everytime I write, it is a broken record. I will personally try to start writing again.
Build a link list of your advice and just plop one down for Texas or Dallas FAQs. I'm sure it would be a nice reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas