Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 30,379 times

Advertisements

Hey there..
I'm planning a move to Dallas in the upcoming months for work and am interested in hearing opinions about the various neighborhoods..
Ideally I would like to find a loft or soft loft in a hip, bohemian type of neighborhood. However, I hear that the closest match is Deep Ellum and that it is still considered slightly shady (w/ a 3-5 year projection for gentrification to set in- apparently).
I'm a huge music fan...would love to be able to crawl out of a bar and into my pad after a show..
I'd like to not live in a snotty neighborhood...
laid back vibe is best....a place w/ coffee shops and little shops..maybe a green market.

Any and all opinions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Actually Ellum sounds exactly like what you want. Expo Park is adjacent to DE, across from Fair Park. That might also do..

It's not that shady but it does have some requisite grit. You probably won't like it after it is Disney-fied. DART rail rolls in less than one year.

Not lofts, but also check out Oram Street and environs between Greenville and Skillman.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Thank you!!! I also heard that lower greenville is a location to look into as well...safety really is my first priority..I also really want to avoid the preppy areas...

Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Frankly Deep Ellum isn't really unsafe. I'm down there a lot for theatre stuff, and though you might get asked for money or a cigarette, that is about it. Lots of great places down there, and Rail coming soon.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Look on Oram near the Gold Rush Cafe. The Gold Rush is a coffee shop where musicians and other creative types hang out.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Deep Ellum between Exposition and Hall has a nice neighborhood-y feel to it. Coffee shop at called Murray St.
Murray Street Coffee Shop (http://murraystreetcoffee.com/details/pages/home.html - broken link)

Walk down the street for good eats and music at the All Good.
AllGood Cafe

Or walk in the opposite direction for a super laid back bar and music at the Double Wide:
WELCOME TO THE DOUBLE WIDE!

Green mkt would be farmer's mkt - kind of a longer walk, but you'll probably have a car.
Dallas Farmers Market

And as mentioned. Gold Rush (Skillman at Live Oak) is where most local musicians hang and eat - they call them two-timers...they come in for breakfast and lunch. Just about everyone in Dallas has started out living around the Gold Rush...Oram St, etc.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 AM

thank you all so much for your two cents...I have a ton more questions as I have never lived in TX...currently living in FL..originally from NYC...
how is the dating scene in Dallas??
I know in FL it is very difficult seeing that this is such a transient state...

Also..is Oram Street located in Lower Greenville?
I'm constantly searching craigslist for apt listings..but need to know what area I should search to find listings on and around Oram...The Gold Rush Cafe sounds like the type of environment I'm looking for...

I want a friendly, artsy, off beat, etc...environment
Deep Ellum is still sounding like my kind of area...

Thank you!!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Oram is probably considered lower Greenville, but mostly considered East Dallas.

No idea on the dating scene.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtobigD View Post
I want a friendly, artsy, off beat, etc...environment
Deep Ellum is still sounding like my kind of area...
It really does sound that way. Deep Ellum isn't just a music area, but an arts area. Several Galleries, Good Live Music, two Theatres, couple of photographers, many galleries. If you want a more generally artsy area, Deep Ellum is probably better fo ryou than Oram/Lower Greenville. If you really want a music centered only area (wihtout he other arts, but more musicians) than Oram/Lower Greenville is probably for you.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 PM

39 posts, read 64,808 times
i lived in deep ellum about 10 years ago and loved it. i've since left the state, so i can't tell you what it is like now. but back then, i felt fine stumbling back to my spectacularly cool loft apartment (the farm&ranch building, i think?) by myself late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas