U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Differences of Dallas, Texas from western and Eastern Europe, Europeans advice needed, no European style, more conservative, music, clubs, warm southern weather, racial tension, immigration

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,763,395 times
Reputation: 542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I was speaking of Southern California and political differences among coastal areas with similar climates.
They are different enough to affect people differently. Southern California is at an inflection point where cold water becomes warm water. Thus, we have a transition from the physiological effects of a waning cold maritime climate to a warm maritime climate. We also have marine microclimates.

One important factor is that the Southern California microclimates may or may not have affected generations of people. If Santa Monica or Huntington Beach was populated mostly by people who had lived there for generations, the magic of climate would have had plenty of time to evolve a specific ideological bearing. As it is, people move around so much in So Cal that that disturbs the weather effect. The most you can say then is that people with a particular ideology will be attracted to a particular climactic area, and that will lessen the effect.

Similarly, the people who move from California to the Dallas area would tend to be more politically conservative than the flaming radicals, neo-socialists and communards you find in the Bay Area. Dallas' climate selects migrants who are farther to the right. I don't know many Europeans who have migrated to the Dallas area, but I'd imagine they came from a more right wing political stance. Not too many European Marxists come here, I'd guess.

Another example of the way that climate affects people psychologically and physiologically is the difference between Houston and DFW. Dallas developed rail transit and dense neighborhoods such as Uptown a little sooner than Houston, and its weather is a little bit colder than Houston's, as well as less humid. Believe me, these factors may be subtle and hard to notice, but they are real.

In the case of Texas versus Northern Europe, the differences in climate (and topography) are not so subtle.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Dallas
1,365 posts, read 2,473,478 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Ok, I am sorry you are upset at the fact that someone from a city that was recently named to have the sexiest and rudest and most pretentious people in the US doesnt see Dallas as perfect.
had to fix that one


Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Dallas does have some nice malls and shops...and I do see European clothing and designer shades such as Gucci, Dior, Prada etc here In Dallas. The problem is, NO ONE WEARS THEM HERE! and the ones they do wear, arent the cool looking ones. Therefore, something is missing
You talk about how no one here dresses European like it's such a bad thing. First Miami is a major fashion destination so of course people there are more aware of fashion and dress more European. Second what does it matter that people here don't dress so uber-chic and mega-cool like they do in Miami? Such a trivial thing to obsess over. What's missing is your ability to not confuse your opinion with reality. Your opinion is that European style is the coolest and i gather from what you've written, what the trendiest and hippest cities in the world should be wearing. The reality is trends and style are decided by a group and well, maybe this group of people don't care for European style. Your viewpoint is sounding more and more egocentric. Should i go to India and ridicule them for not dressing american enough? Some people unfortunately would but hopefully you get what I'm saying. Anyway I've wasted more than enough on this topic.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,763,395 times
Reputation: 542
Agree with PortyHead and the general consensus.

The Europeans are entitled to their taste in clothes and their fashions. We in the USA have no interest in aping or copying them, however... we have our own styles. If the Europeans want to wear their regionally distinctive clothing while in Miami, that's none of our concern.

Of course our own fashions are better, more stylish, and have more currency in the world.

And yes, a visitor should expect that fashions and styles of clothing in Texas and the USa in general will be different from Europe.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
 
Location: WESTIEST Plano, East Texas, Upstate NY
636 posts, read 1,828,740 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
thanks, Im glad you took my advice. I dont mean to be so negative and I apologize, but unfortunently thats just the way it is here.



Ok, I am sorry you are upset at the fact that someone from a city that was recently named to have the sexiest people in the US doesnt see Dallas as perfect.

And 2nd of all, I did not say that quote. You made up your own words. All I was saying to the OP was that music and clothing styles arent much like it is in Miami...and Miami has alot of European INFLUENCE in their design and music. Dont get angry at me because it hasnt become a hit in Dallas.

I dont know why youre so bitter at me, I havent said anything bad about Dallas, the only thing I've done is compare the differences and point out whats lacking here...Dont attack me just because people criticize Dallas

Dallas does have some nice malls and shops...and I do see European clothing and designer shades such as Gucci, Dior, Prada etc here In Dallas. The problem is, NO ONE WEARS THEM HERE! and the ones they do wear, arent the cool looking ones. Therefore, something is missing
Not upset, not mad. I simply have no use for your ignorant, baiting comments, and I'm not nearly as polite as most of the members here when it comes to calling you out. All it takes is a simple query of your previous posts, and it is clear that you are a troll of the highest order.

If you have the delusion that your comments make us think you're somehow better, because you lived for a while in another state, then you're even less intelligent than you appear on this forum. I don't see someone who is better, I see someone who craves negative attention, much like an unruly third grader. I see someone who has nothing better to do with their time then to get on a chat board and try to stir up trouble. I see someone who has so little control over their life, that they allow themselves to be persuaded to go, FOR A SECOND TIME, to a place that they profess to hate. Are you getting the picture here?

Lastly, what do you not get about "we don't give a rat's _ _ s what happens in miami, or what you did in miami, or what they wear in miami". Understand?

Please run along, and try to do something productive with your life. If this is your idea of recreation, you are in sad shape indeed.

Last edited by tycobb2522; 10-21-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
2,170 posts, read 4,844,369 times
Reputation: 2460
This whole thread is a non-argument. Yes, Miami has better nightlife. Like Vegas, its lifestyle and much of its business base is built around tourism and entertainment. Clubs can stay open until 5 a.m. (some even later). And, because it's on the east coast and has warm weather, it's an easy destination for vacationing Europeans, especially in the winter. So, there will be more of a European influence (as well as Latin American influence) in the pop culture. Though I bet there are more Europeans in North Texas at any given time than we might guess.

You can't compare Dallas to Miami or Las Vegas or (pre-Katrina) New Orleans. Their entire essence is built around entertainment and they are exceptions to the American rule. And, for the record, Miami is not solely full of drug addicts and criminals as has been posted here. As a former Miami resident who was neither involved in crime nor drugs, I can attest to that.

As for fashions, the presence in this market of such fashionista, see-and-be-seen publications here as Paper City and F!D Luxe would seem to indicate there is demand here for many who don't want to just wear cowboy hats and Levis. And some of what's pictured is even European-influenced or (gasp) European.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM
 
16,086 posts, read 39,106,947 times
Reputation: 6336
I was once partying at the Delano and this guy tries to pick up my sister by claiming he was one of Picasso's sons-- I asked who his mother was and he was stumped.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Location: 1. Miami 2.Dallas 3. NEXT!
463 posts, read 1,295,912 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Not upset, not mad. I simply have no use for your ignorant, baiting comments, and I'm not nearly as polite as most of the members here when it comes to calling you out. All it takes is a simple query of your previous posts, and it is clear that you are a troll of the highest order.

If you have the delusion that your comments make us think you're somehow better, because you lived for a while in another state, then you're even less intelligent than you appear on this forum. I don't see someone who is better, I see someone who craves negative attention, much like an unruly third grader. I see someone who has nothing better to do with their time then to get on a chat board and try to stir up trouble. I see someone who has so little control over their life, that they allow themselves to be persuaded to go, FOR A SECOND TIME, to a place that they profess to hate. Are you getting the picture here?

Lastly, what do you not get about "we don't give a rat's _ _ s what happens in miami, or what you did in miami, or what they wear in miami". Understand?

Please run along, and try to do something productive with your life. If this is your idea of recreation, you are in sad shape indeed.
Im so hurt

Hurt that you are so jealous of the fact that I am telling someone (the original poster of this thread) in advance how Dallas is before they come here and be disappointed

Its too bad you cant just accept the constructive criticism of your 'Big D', but I wasnt even speaking to you when I wrote the original thread. So you are the one who doesnt have a life because you have time to defend a place that really...shouldnt be defended.

You better take a trip to Miami and see for yourself. Havent u read green eggs and ham when you were a kid? You'll like it. Then when you come back here you will see that Miami (South Beach) has much more European influence than Dallas. Thats what the poster asked, so I answered it.

Dont get mad because Im recommending a city that offers a much more urbane European style than Dallas. Apparently the OP was happy about my advice, why cant you?

So dont try to make yourself look important by "calling me out" or trying to prove a point. SIT DOWN *******!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,763,395 times
Reputation: 542
Urbane, I have been in Miami and I don't see much of an European influence... I do see a pretty strong Cuban and Carribean influence, and a whole lot of poverty.

Maybe you're really talking about Miami Beach? No, I didn't see much of what looked like Europe, it just didn't resemble what I have seen in Amsterdam, Brussels or in the German cities... European clothing styles? No, didn't see that. Even in Europe, I don't see much if any difference... a department store I visited in downtown Amsterdam looked pretty much like what you'd see in a mall in Dallas.

You seem to think that there is something uniquely appealing about Europe's popular culture, and it is something to emulate, something desirable... and if Texas doesn't participate in it, it somehow is at a loss... balderdash... Dallas is at the top of the North American food chain in terms of style, if for no other reason than its massive population, and has no interest in copying anything.

I'd tell the original poster that DFW has much culture, sophistication and beauty, in accord with its stature as one of the largest urban hubs in North America, and it has a fair number of people from around the world, including Europe... but it is not a copy of a European city in terms of architecture, music or alleged clothing styles.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
 
Location: WESTIEST Plano, East Texas, Upstate NY
636 posts, read 1,828,740 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I'd tell the original poster that DFW has much culture, sophistication and beauty, in accord with its stature as one of the largest urban hubs in North America, and it has a fair number of people from around the world, including Europe... but it is not a copy of a European city in terms of architecture, music or alleged clothing styles.
Unlike miami, which is practically a miniature Paris, right? Just ask certain people who have nothing better to do than trash other cities, yet, don't have the resources to move back to that little heaven on earth called miami...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: WESTIEST Plano, East Texas, Upstate NY
636 posts, read 1,828,740 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Im so hurt

Hurt that you are so jealous of the fact that I am telling someone (the original poster of this thread) in advance how Dallas is before they come here and be disappointed

Its too bad you cant just accept the constructive criticism of your 'Big D', but I wasnt even speaking to you when I wrote the original thread. So you are the one who doesnt have a life because you have time to defend a place that really...shouldnt be defended.

You better take a trip to Miami and see for yourself. Havent u read green eggs and ham when you were a kid? You'll like it. Then when you come back here you will see that Miami (South Beach) has much more European influence than Dallas. Thats what the poster asked, so I answered it.

Dont get mad because Im recommending a city that offers a much more urbane European style than Dallas. Apparently the OP was happy about my advice, why cant you?

So dont try to make yourself look important by "calling me out" or trying to prove a point. SIT DOWN *******!
Your criticism wasn't constructive, nor is it in any of your other posts. "It Sucks!" is not constructive, pal... Hence my statement of the obvious fact that you are a troll.

And since your literary exposure apparently extends no further than the good Doctor Seuss, I'll ask you: ever read How Grinch Stole Christmas? You make the Grinch look downright.... urbane.

And again, nobody's mad; just pointing you out for what you are: a delusional malcontent who craves negative attention. Your post may have been in response to the OP, but it was on a public forum, making your ridiculous and ignorant comments subject to all of the derision they deserve. The OP obviously knows nothing about Dallas, and they now know even less, thanks to you. So quit patting yourself on the back because they thanked you for RESPONDING; they had no clue if what you said was accurate or not, which of course it wasn't. Unless they like that "New Age Turkish music"

So no, despite your childish footstamping and yelling for me to "sit down", I think I'll pass..... and continue exposing you for what you are, every time I run across one of your petulant little outbursts.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top