U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 AM

12 posts, read 48,605 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm searching for an apartment and is considering moving to an one located in Carrollton TX on 1900 South Josey Lane called Fox Creek Apartment.

Does anyone know how this neighborhood is like? Is it a family friendly neighborhood? Safe? good schools?

any more details you can share would be great!

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 AM

709 posts, read 3,235,471 times
Fox Creek is not in my opinion in one of the best areas of Carrollton. It is on the boarder of Farmers Branch and Carrollton. They have been there since I was a little girl. Over 35 years at least. I think you could find something better and safer for your kids in the northern area of Carrollton with better rated schools. Schools in the northern portion of Carrollton: Davis Elementary, Blanton, Mckamy, McWhorter, Furneaux, and Thompson (later two mentioned have less apts. in their zones). Schools near Fox Creek are Central and Blair/Montgomery. These last two schools have wonderful administrators, it is just that the neighborhoods in general are a little rougher. Google CFBISD schools and look at the web sights for school info. I think the apts. near McWhorter and McKamy are more expensive in general. I don't know for sure though. I am just going by newness and appearance of communities.
I hope you find just the right environment for you and your family.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
Fox Creek is not in my opinion in one of the best areas of Carrollton. It is on the boarder of Farmers Branch and Carrollton. They have been there since I was a little girl. Over 35 years at least. I think you could find something better and safer for your kids in the northern area of Carrollton with better rated schools. Schools in the northern portion of Carrollton: Davis Elementary, Blanton, Mckamy, McWhorter, Furneaux, and Thompson (later two mentioned have less apts. in their zones). Schools near Fox Creek are Central and Blair/Montgomery. These last two schools have wonderful administrators, it is just that the neighborhoods in general are a little rougher. Google CFBISD schools and look at the web sights for school info. I think the apts. near McWhorter and McKamy are more expensive in general. I don't know for sure though. I am just going by newness and appearance of communities.
I hope you find just the right environment for you and your family.
Thank you for your reply! How rough is it there? Are there high crime rate? What website can you suggest for me to find out more about this specific neighborhood?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 PM

339 posts, read 1,327,722 times
I completely agree with Sonshine about looking at another area. My parents lived in the Cook's Creek apts, right there in that same block of south Josey you're looking at, before I was born and I am 34 now. They moved a mile further north, still in the 75006 zip and we remained there until the mid 90s. We watched the area sort of deteriorate before our eyes....not saying it's outright dangerous, but there is a lot of neglect in many areas of South Carrollton. When I drive in the area now--going on visuals only-- it's no better, only worse. But I know crime was rapidly escalating when we left as my father made it a point to monitor such things and we were really sad to see our stomping grounds become more and more sketchy. Additionally, many of our favorite business moved out/went out of business and that was sort of the beginning of the end.

I assume you can't drive through the area in person?? Perhaps check out the Carrollton police blotter, run the zip through City Data's stats, hit the sex offender sites, etc. Affordable and statistically safer housing can be found in both FB and Carrollton, but the blocks between Valwood to the south and Beltline/Country Club to the north, IMO should be generally avoided. And I enjoy living in racially and economically diverse areas and wouldn't pass off the area as icky just because of multi-family housing or God forbid, the number of Caucasians was dwindling.

It's just that the area has simply grown into a far from ideal spot and wouldn't be high on my list of the metroplex's best working class 'hoods.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:21 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,694,906 times
Heck, their older than that. I'm over 40 and those apartments were there before I was born. 40 years ago they were so so. You would find about the same type of people living there that were in the homes around them. Your avg working class suburban area. Nothing fancy at all but your basics were there. It has changed a LOT in the last 25 years. Even 25 years ago those apartments were rundown and should have been torn down.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM

I'd check the FB and Carrollton Police depts./city websites as suggested or call them and ask them about those particular areas.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Heck, their older than that. I'm over 40 and those apartments were there before I was born. 40 years ago they were so so. You would find about the same type of people living there that were in the homes around them. Your avg working class suburban area. Nothing fancy at all but your basics were there. It has changed a LOT in the last 25 years. Even 25 years ago those apartments were rundown and should have been torn down.
yep...I'm afraid you may be right. I don't think I wanted to really omit how old I am. LOL! I know the neighborhood by FB Rec where I grew up is at least 51 years old (age of my brother). My parents bought their first house over there. That is just about 2 or 3 miles from Fox Creek.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 AM

37 posts, read 127,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelling View Post
What website can you suggest for me to find out more about this specific neighborhood?
This might be exactly what you are looking for:
Carrollton, Texas Interactive City Map

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
I completely agree with Sonshine about looking at another area. My parents lived in the Cook's Creek apts, right there in that same block of south Josey you're looking at, before I was born and I am 34 now. They moved a mile further north, still in the 75006 zip and we remained there until the mid 90s. We watched the area sort of deteriorate before our eyes....not saying it's outright dangerous, but there is a lot of neglect in many areas of South Carrollton. When I drive in the area now--going on visuals only-- it's no better, only worse. But I know crime was rapidly escalating when we left as my father made it a point to monitor such things and we were really sad to see our stomping grounds become more and more sketchy. Additionally, many of our favorite business moved out/went out of business and that was sort of the beginning of the end.

I assume you can't drive through the area in person?? Perhaps check out the Carrollton police blotter, run the zip through City Data's stats, hit the sex offender sites, etc. Affordable and statistically safer housing can be found in both FB and Carrollton, but the blocks between Valwood to the south and Beltline/Country Club to the north, IMO should be generally avoided. And I enjoy living in racially and economically diverse areas and wouldn't pass off the area as icky just because of multi-family housing or God forbid, the number of Caucasians was dwindling.

It's just that the area has simply grown into a far from ideal spot and wouldn't be high on my list of the metroplex's best working class 'hoods.
Thank you very much for this valuable information!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM

Thank you for your feedbacks! It seem sketchier there than looking at the pictures I got.

It is a diverse population living in that neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or