Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 18,610 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My fiance and I have been mulling over the idea of moving to Dallas for the last 2 years or so. In the last 6 months, we started putting our plan into action by saving up money for the move, cleaning up our resumes (since we would both have to find new jobs), checking out the real estate in different areas and just your general research. However, the current state of the economy has definitey put a scare into us about making such a big move right now. We both have been sending our resumes out relentlessly but do not seem to be getting any responses. I am in the Telecom field and while I know that Dallas isnt as buzzing with that as it was in the late 90s, I thought it was still a thriving industry out there. I guess my question is this, how hard hit is Dallas employment due to the current economy? Could the fact that I am still out of state and not local be affecting my resume performance or are employers just tightening up their belts and waiting out the storm before they start filling positions again?

Thanks for any feedback, opinions, anything!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Just following up to see if anyone has any feedback. I tried looking through other posts to see if there was much about the current employement in Dallas but only found one thread saying not to quit your job, EVER I understand it just may be that I am asking something that no one really knows for sure as well. Any feedback is welcome though. I am really on the fence about this move but I just love the idea of living in the Dallas area and want to get our butts out there and settled down. We would be coming from Los Angeles and for those of you who have lived here (South Bay area) I am sure you understand why we are in a hurry

Old 10-24-2008, 05:31 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Would you be able to transfer with yr company? I know someone at Verizon in the OC and they were working unlimited OT about a yr ago and just this wk she got word that her dept is merging with another and she has the option on going to Sacramento or TX. Well they just closed on their home purchase this March!! This economy sucks! I say stay put until things turn around.
I moved here in Sept, no job since it fell thru. But I am getting offers for jobs I don't really want. And I am testing for jobs with cities (I came from city govt) and not even sure I want those jobs. I tested today with Plano and scored high, now got an interview Wed. But I keep saying do I really want to commute 44 miles each day, do I really want to move again so soon just to be closer to the job.

If you just have to move in this economy I would say:
1. Have at least six months of savings to survive off of or more.
2. Pay off all debt such as credit cards if possible
3. Make a realistic budget of what your monthly expenses will be and stick to it.
4. Live without luxuries like cable, DSL, home phone with caller ID, call waiting until u get a job. Instead of paying $15 extra a mo for phone co answer service just use a phone that has it built in if you have to have a home phone.
5. Eat in and prepare home meals.
6. Keep in mind that if you do get things like home phone, cable expect yr 1st bill to be off the charts. My monthly DSL and phone should be $50 but my 1st bill was $131.

Others can add to the list if they come up with other tips.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Would you be able to transfer with yr company? I know someone at Verizon in the OC and they were working unlimited OT about a yr ago and just this wk she got word that her dept is merging with another and she has the option on going to Sacramento or TX. Well they just closed on their home purchase this March!! This economy sucks! I say stay put until things turn around.
I moved here in Sept, no job since it fell thru. But I am getting offers for jobs I don't really want. And I am testing for jobs with cities (I came from city govt) and not even sure I want those jobs. I tested today with Plano and scored high, now got an interview Wed. But I keep saying do I really want to commute 44 miles each day, do I really want to move again so soon just to be closer to the job.

If you just have to move in this economy I would say:
1. Have at least six months of savings to survive off of or more.
2. Pay off all debt such as credit cards if possible
3. Make a realistic budget of what your monthly expenses will be and stick to it.
4. Live without luxuries like cable, DSL, home phone with caller ID, call waiting until u get a job. Instead of paying $15 extra a mo for phone co answer service just use a phone that has it built in if you have to have a home phone.
5. Eat in and prepare home meals.
6. Keep in mind that if you do get things like home phone, cable expect yr 1st bill to be off the charts. My monthly DSL and phone should be $50 but my 1st bill was $131.

Others can add to the list if they come up with other tips.
Thanks for the response. I wish I could transfer but the company I work for is based out of Hong Kong and only has US offices in LA and NYC. Thanks for the tips as well. I have been focusing on paying off credit card debt but so far we only have about 3 months worth of savings stocked up. Did you apply for jobs before moving to Texas as well? If so, does it seem like you are getting better responses now that you are in the area as opposed to applying out of state? I am just shocked that I am not getting any responses to my resume since I seem to get immediate responses locally so I am really hoping that the problem is just that I am out of state and that if I dont get an offer before moving, that it will warm up once I get there. It is really looking like we may just wait through the holidays and look to move in Jan-Feb time (crossing fingers that the economy will be looking a little better by then). Ughhhhh......

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Mine is a bit different. I was applying with federal and city govt and they will interview you where ever you are. Even did a phone interview once. The problem was they always wanted me to come test for this or that and it was expensive far as airfare and they didn't pay for it. So now that I am here it's easier for me now.

It might be due to your out of state address and the bad economy combined. Hard to say. What's a couple more months to wait? You could always get a job in retail now while you are looking if you came b4 the holidays.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 PM

27 posts, read 126,890 times
If you really think locale address on your resume is the problem, you could get a Main Street address in Dallas. They don't call it a PO Box, just # ... and it's located at 3100 Main Street. I have one for multiple businesses.

I have a feeling you are right that it is effecting the response, after all they are probably concerned about people wanting relocation packages.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoregenius View Post
If you really think locale address on your resume is the problem, you could get a Main Street address in Dallas. They don't call it a PO Box, just # ... and it's located at 3100 Main Street. I have one for multiple businesses.

I have a feeling you are right that it is effecting the response, after all they are probably concerned about people wanting relocation packages.
Thanks so much. I will have to look into that!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
I think most companies - even those that are doing fine - are in a holding pattern for hiring, to see how all this plays out. Get a job lined up before moving just to be on the safe side. During the downturn post 9/11, I was out of work for nearly a year in Dallas and couldn't even get responses when I applied for jobs that were virtually identical to what I had been doing. (Despite this, Dallas is very pro-business and generally has a good job market.)

Old 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times
First, I would not quit my job without at least one of you getting hired in Dallas.

Then, I would do two things.

1) Make sure in your cover letters you state that you are relocating to Dallas (and make it clear that you are relocating regardless getting the position)

2) If you can afford it, maybe you can plan to be in Dallas for a few days or a whole week and send out letters/resumes saying that you will be in Dallas on such dates and you would like to talk to someone while you are in town.

There are other out-of-state job hunting strategies like this that you can research online that might help.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
In today's economy, employers are looking to not have to relocate. If you have a friend or family member in the area, I would ask them if you could put their address on your resume. In fact, it might be worth contacting your cell provider to get a number in the area as well, as employers will surely see the out of state area code. That will help you get your foot in the door.

Other than that - it's all about networking. But definitely wait to move until atleast one of you have a job.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: