Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM

869 posts, read 2,953,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
Not to be too nitpicky, but that's not an entirely true statement. The first high school in Dallas was Central High School, which was purchased in 1884 and opened for classes in 1886.
Just noticed, I left out a very important word in my initial post. Central High was the first PUBLIC high school in the City of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,641 times
HI I am looking for some abandoned buildings in Dallas, TX. If you could please contact me with the address and a little information on the building I would appreciate it. Thanks very kindly. Email me at [email]tacotacovia@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,133 times
Quote:
Not to be too nitpicky, but that's not an entirely true statement. The first high school in Dallas was Central High School, which was purchased in 1884 and opened for classes in 1886.
Central High and Dallas High are the same school. It's also been known as Main High, Bryan Street High, Dallas Tech, Crozier Tech, and Business & Management Center.

The oldest high school in Dallas is Ursuline, if I recall correctly, which opened in 1876.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,454 times
Default Dallas hotel and convention center

I think it is the future Dallas convention center and hotel (since the multimillion dollar on did not pass)!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Central High and Dallas High are the same school. .
No they are not. The building that housed Dallas High was not even constructed until 1907. Since Central opened several years prior, they can't be the "same school".

Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
No they are not. The building that housed Dallas High was not even constructed until 1907. Since Central opened several years prior, they can't be the "same school".
Many schools switch buildings. My alma mater was at 3812 Oak Lawn from 1942 to 1963, at which point it moved to 12345 Inwood.

"Dallas High," or "DalHi," was never the official name of the school, actually. It was just what it was commonly called, as was "Main High School," I believe. Central High School was located on various campuses downtown before settling down on the Bryan Street campus, then it changed its name to Bryan Street High School, and then to Dallas Tech.

They are the same school.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Many schools switch buildings. My alma mater was at 3812 Oak Lawn from 1942 to 1963, at which point it moved to 12345 Inwood.

"Dallas High," or "DalHi," was never the official name of the school, actually. It was just what it was commonly called, as was "Main High School," I believe. Central High School was located on various campuses downtown before settling down on the Bryan Street campus, then it changed its name to Bryan Street High School, and then to Dallas Tech.

They are the same school.
Different building+different name=different school

Central High was in a completely different building from that one which opened as Dallas High School in 1908.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
I think I read that the original school burned but I don't know where it was located. When the 'current' location was built I know that most of that area was single-family homes.

Cumberland Hill School was built in 1888 as the first 'brick' school house so I imagine that is emphasized because fire consumed others...

Cumberland Hill School - Architecture in Downtown Dallas

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
I think it is the future Dallas convention center and hotel (since the multimillion dollar on did not pass)!
Huh? Proposition 1 (which would have prohibited the city from having an ownership interest in the hotel) was defeated. That means the hotel at the convention center can be built. Finding the bond money for it might be the real issue.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Different building+different name=different school

Central High was in a completely different building from that one which opened as Dallas High School in 1908.
Dal-Tech High School Collection Register and Researcher's Guide
dallashistory.net - Dallas Landmarks: Dallas High School

New building on the same site. The name was changed, but it was the only public high school (for whites) in Dallas both before and after the name change.

1884 Central High School
1908 Dallas High School
1916 Main High School
1917 Bryan Street High School
1928 Dal-Tech High School
1942 N.R. Crozier Technical High School
1972 Business Magnet School

It was the only public high school for whites in Dallas until 1916 or so, when I believe DalHi was changed to Main/Bryan Street and Oak Cliff High School, later W.H. Adamson, opened to serve southern Dallas.

The first high school for black students opened around the same time the first school for whites was, and it was known, as was politically correct at the time, as Colored High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas