Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,624 times

Advertisements

I have been paying around $300 everymonth even when I have the AC is switched off...Nothing I do to save the power is working out and I feel $300 is a lot of money to be paid for the power bill. It is a 2 story single family home.

Has anyone faced this before? What did you do to reduce the same?

Any Help I am sure you know will help me

Allenitis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM

6,684 posts, read 13,896,075 times
Try have a bill for $849 for a 2,000sqft home. I would suggest you learn how to read your meter and make sure on under contract for the lowest kilowatt per hour cost.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:27 PM

937 posts, read 2,894,314 times
How big is your home? What company are you with? How many kw are you using? How much are you paying per kw?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:38 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,565,948 times
If you aren't using your AC and the rate is still high, I suggest the following process:

1. Take a "baseline reading" - read your meter, wait an hour, then take another reading. This is your KwH "baseline".
2. Shut off alll circuit breakers. Check to see if the meter is still spinning, if you have an older mechanical meter, or wait another hour and check your meter if it's a digital meter. It should read a big fat zero. If not, you have something seriously wrong with the meter or your breaker box. Call the electric company, as these sort of issues could potentially lead to a fire.
3. Turn one circuit breaker on at a time, checking the readings on your meter. If you find a particular breaker that has a lot of usage, shut all the other breakers off and see what still has power. This appliance or device is your culprit, or there is something wrong with that particular leg and you will need to contact an electrician.

Also, $300 is not a measurement of power usage. You'll need to look at KwH usage, as you could have a $300 bill if you used 1,000 KwH and the company is charging you $0.30/KwH - or you could be only charged $0.10/KwH and using 3,000 KwH. There's a huge difference in actual energy usage there, but the price is the same. How many KwH/month are you using?

I've heard of people getting the wrong readings before. You should have an EIN or EID or something like that - it's basically a serial number on your bill. That serial number should match with your meter. If it doesn't, your getting billed for someone else's usage.

Hope these things help you to begin tracing down what the culprit is. Good luck, and let us know what the end result is.

Brian

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,480,896 times
my undestand is that there is a base charge for KWH--if you use less than that you don't get a reduction in your bill
and again THE GOVENOR APPOINTS PEOPLE TO THE UTILITY BOARD--if they do not have homeowners interests at heart--the govenor is the person to blame--vote him out of office
contact your legislator to get the utility board members made an elected not appointed post so they ARE responsible to the needs of the people---
there is so much "politicking" done for board appointsments--and lobbying done by big business--that the boards often could care less about the needs of the public...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,565,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my undestand is that there is a base charge for KWH--if you use less than that you don't get a reduction in your bill
That is partially correct. As our bills stand today, we have a "customer base charge" - which is essentially the base fee, regardless of usage, for connecting to the grid. We also have a meter-reading fee, which is self explanatory. We then have a usage fee. Today's usage charges are flat. You pay some pre-determined number (about 14 cents) per KwH, multiplied by your KwH usage that month. Of course there are taxes on top of that - but that's the structure. But to the point of Loves2Read - there is a base customer charge, but that number is typically less than $20. The original poster's issue is with a $300 bill. If the base charge is three digits - run, run like the wind!

Since TXU is rolling out new, digital meters, which can determine time of day, I believe it will be just another year or two before we get "peak" usage and "non-peak" usage timeframes implemented and get charged different rates based on time of day. For instance, it may be determined that "peak times" are 9am to 6pm. Peak rates could be 18 cents, whereas off peak could be 10 cents. If you use 1,000 KwH in that month - but 600 of them are during peak and 400 of them are off-peak, then you're paying ($0.18 x 600) + ($0.10 x 400) = $148 usage charges -vs- the old 13.5 cent X 1,000 KwH (or $135) structure. The theory is to encourage people to be more efficient during peak hours, which is what creates the largest strain on the grid - and incidentally drives the most construction of power generating facilities.

I'm certain we are moving toward tiered rates. Only time will tell, but mark my word... (honestly, I think it's a good thing - as it encourages efficiency)

Brian

Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,696,197 times
$300 is nothing as long as your house is at least 2500 sqft. Have you checked your insulation? Radiant barriers can work numbers. I've had several clients do it and my parents did it. My new house is coming with the Tech shield already in it and that's better than the paint-on kind.

Also, you can call Oncor and they'll send someone out to seal up your house and check the efficiency of it. They can see where air is escaping and things like that, so you don't heat/cool the outdoors.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 PM

13 posts, read 20,328 times
just a suggestion.. at one time i was paying bills 500.00-900.00 a month I found out that after I turned my hot water heater off and only turned on to do dishes and showers my bill dropped down to 200.00 a month or lower... try that .. read your meter and compare

Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM

440 posts, read 862,299 times
There are so many variables going on here....How old and how big is your house? Insulation is a key issue-hot or cold weather...we rented and apartment here while we were building our house, the apt was less than 2000 sq ft but our bills were higher than our new house than is over 5000 sq ft. Are you heating with electricity -cooking-heating hot water all these add up esp since it's cold.. You need to look at the amount of kw you are using and then the cost for each and then we will know if it its out of the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas