Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times

Advertisements

I believe R4Browns regretted that he missed the Peet's coffee he had back in California, so I'll do my good deed for the day and advise him.

I took a tour of several New Urbanism town centers in Dallas today and I found a supermarket in the Watters Creek Town Center. The Market Street supermarket in Watters Creek has a coffee shop with Peet's coffee. It's not quite at the level of a Central Market or even a Whole Foods, but its product line is definitely upscale over a Tom Thumb or a Kroger's. I took the chance to stock up on a lot of the South Asian food I like.

Another place to get Peet's is in the new independent bookstore that just opened in Legacy Town Center. It is quite an upscale place and has a better vibe, in my opinion, than a Borders or Barnes and Noble. The store is huge... it has 3 floors of books. I found 3 I liked and took them down to checkout. Dawn, the checkout person, took them from me and confessed I was her very first customer. She was a little rough working the register but we got through OK. Thanks, Dawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM

Forgot to mention... Watters Town Center is in Allen, north of Plano, at the intersection of US75 and Bethany Road.

The Legacy bookstore is actually north of Legacy road, in a new shopping street that just opened, between the park and cemetery, and the North Dallas Tollway.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I took a tour of several New Urbanism town centers in Dallas today and I found a supermarket in the Watters Creek Town Center. The Market Street supermarket in Watters Creek has a coffee shop with Peet's coffee. It's not quite at the level of a Central Market or even a Whole Foods, but its product line is definitely upscale over a Tom Thumb or a Kroger's. I took the chance to stock up on a lot of the South Asian food I like.
FYI: Central Market and Whole Foods don't have good coffee. Sure, they have big bulk bins with a ton of selection - but it's not what I would consider good coffee. It's not packaged in nitrogen - it's not freshly roasted - it's not packaged in an air-tight container and it doesn't even have a roasted on date.

Dallas doesn't have good selection. We spent the last 2 months trying coffees from around the area and went back to ordering Black Cat Espresso Roast from Intelligentsia. They have vacuum packed containers and roasted-on dates. Any coffee they ship has been roasted withing the last day or two prior to shipping, so it's only 3-6 days post-roast when it arrives.

Brian

(sorry, I have become a coffee snob)

Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Wow, that's like being a sensitive enough princess that even a pea at the bottom of 20 matresses is still annoying.

But if that makes a difference... importing your coffee... go for it!

I didn't mean to imply that Central Market's coffee was tasty... just that this particular supermarket, although good, was not up to their standards of supermarkets. Still, they have the variety of Indian specialty foods I like.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
FYI: Central Market and Whole Foods don't have good coffee. Sure, they have big bulk bins with a ton of selection - but it's not what I would consider good coffee. It's not packaged in nitrogen - it's not freshly roasted - it's not packaged in an air-tight container and it doesn't even have a roasted on date.

Dallas doesn't have good selection. We spent the last 2 months trying coffees from around the area and went back to ordering Black Cat Espresso Roast from Intelligentsia. They have vacuum packed containers and roasted-on dates. Any coffee they ship has been roasted withing the last day or two prior to shipping, so it's only 3-6 days post-roast when it arrives.

Brian

(sorry, I have become a coffee snob)
The Whole Foods where I shop roasts their beans in the store (Preston/Royal). I worked at a coffee house for a year (Coffee Bean for those SoCal types) and have a fairly good nose/eye/palate for decent beans. I can't speak for any other Whole Foods, but mine is a good place to get the goods.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:44 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I believe R4Browns regretted that he missed the Peet's coffee he had back in California, so I'll do my good deed for the day and advise him.

Another place to get Peet's is in the new independent bookstore that just opened in Legacy Town Center. It is quite an upscale place and has a better vibe, in my opinion, than a Borders or Barnes and Noble. The store is huge... it has 3 floors of books. I found 3 I liked and took them down to checkout. Dawn, the checkout person, took them from me and confessed I was her very first customer. She was a little rough working the register but we got through OK. Thanks, Dawn.
Thanks for the tip Ace.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
The Whole Foods where I shop roasts their beans in the store (Preston/Royal). I worked at a coffee house for a year (Coffee Bean for those SoCal types) and have a fairly good nose/eye/palate for decent beans. I can't speak for any other Whole Foods, but mine is a good place to get the goods.
They roast their own? Very cool. I may have to head over. I'd really like to find some local beans I like. Much more convenient. The best beans I've had yet are from Bon Giorno in Grapevine. I really like Gachet - but they don't roast their own and I can't get them to tell me where they get theirs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas