Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times

Advertisements

I've been here two months. So far I find nothing dramatic about Plano. Essentially an average upscale American suburb. Your arrival here will be anticlimactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 03:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
It completely runs the gamut of lifestyles. Family-oriented for the most part, as are probably most suburbs I would think.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,680 times
Most people in Plano are very very nice and most have their kids best interest at heart. My wife and I have had nothing but good experiences with the schools, parents and youth sports leagues. There are some really competetive dads out there, moms too but Plano has several sports leagues and programs for kids of every skill level. Even at WOGA (they have two Olympic gold medalists in women's gymnastics) the parents and coaches are very nice to kids who are just there to have fun.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
I have yet to find anyone in (West) Plano anything but very nice, friendly and courteous. I really enjoy Plano...and its people. Great place!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I've been here two months. So far I find nothing dramatic about Plano. Essentially an average upscale American suburb. Your arrival here will be anticlimactic.
Yes that is very true about Plano.

Also, I noticed that you moved from Boston. I have friends all up in the northeast and talked to some from Boston today and they said they just got their first snow! They laughed when I told them that it is 78 degrees here! Definitely much different weather there than it is here.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,844 times
I was born on the East coast but have lived in Plano for over 30 years. When I go back to the East I'm always surprised at how unfriendly the people are. People are friendly here. It is an affluent area but that can be looked at as a positive thing.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW8 View Post
Yes that is very true about Plano.

Also, I noticed that you moved from Boston. I have friends all up in the northeast and talked to some from Boston today and they said they just got their first snow! They laughed when I told them that it is 78 degrees here! Definitely much different weather there than it is here.
I don't know if words can express the joy I feel when I sit out on my patio at night in a comfy 60 something degrees enjoy some lively discourse on C-D. Sometimes, this year may be one of those years apparently, Boston winter starts in October and doesn't end until June. This is my third time spending my winter south of the snowline. It's good to be back in the ole South!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM

28 posts, read 106,445 times
Generally like all Texans, people here are friendly by nature, although you would occasionally run into those that are stuck up and have an air about them. It is very dependent on where you've come from, your previous experience and how you fit into "similar" and "not similar" category as mentioned earlier. It is true that children are one of the main focus in Plano, there are loads of the activities in the area catered to them, so taking that with a pinch of salt, you'll find all walks of life and hopefully that would add a nice color to your experience.

I have to warn you here that I had a lousy experience with the police and the court system in Plano, they are just plain out to get your money to pay for their SUV police cars. They don't mind cutting down the size of the police workforce as long as they can increase their purchase of SUVs. I learned the hard way that if you get a ticket, don't bother trying to fight it out by taking the case to trial, (either by judge or jury), the chance of you winning is minute. The Judges and the system is stack against you, better try your best to avoid getting a ticket at all cost or make a deal with the prosecutor if you get one. I've never seen that many SUV police car per a city this small a size.

Cheers.
LOV

Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
I have yet to find anyone in (West) Plano anything but very nice, friendly and courteous. I really enjoy Plano...and its people. Great place!
That is the same story with me and I have been visiting (west) Plano since 2003. I love going to Plano. I would drive there tomorrow but I have to work, lol.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labor omnia vincit sxi View Post
Generally like all Texans, people here are friendly by nature, although you would occasionally run into those that are stuck up and have an air about them. It is very dependent on where you've come from, your previous experience and how you fit into "similar" and "not similar" category as mentioned earlier. It is true that children are one of the main focus in Plano, there are loads of the activities in the area catered to them, so taking that with a pinch of salt, you'll find all walks of life and hopefully that would add a nice color to your experience.

I have to warn you here that I had a lousy experience with the police and the court system in Plano, they are just plain out to get your money to pay for their SUV police cars. They don't mind cutting down the size of the police workforce as long as they can increase their purchase of SUVs. I learned the hard way that if you get a ticket, don't bother trying to fight it out by taking the case to trial, (either by judge or jury), the chance of you winning is minute. The Judges and the system is stack against you, better try your best to avoid getting a ticket at all cost or make a deal with the prosecutor if you get one. I've never seen that many SUV police car per a city this small a size.

Cheers.
LOV
Oh I know! I saw so many Chevy Tahoe Plano Police Cars this summer, it was crazy. I saw three of them chasing somebody or rushing to get somewhere with their lights flashing and sirens blaring near Legacy Dr and Dallas Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas