Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM

384 posts, read 1,407,920 times

Advertisements

Plano is just like anytown USA. The rawness of the music culture in Denton shadows and trumps any town in texas even Austin... because Denton has remained fairly independent while Austin has gone corporate.

Denton is one of the most independent and unique towns/cities in Texas... eschewing the anytown usa tag by doing its own thing. You're gonna catch a lot of free thinking more liberal and weird types in Denton. In plano you'll just end up catching typical normal people like everywhere else. Its funnier in Denton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM

86 posts, read 243,109 times
Plano is very, very conservative. I have heard that Denton is more liberal, and you might find more homes in your price range there, but I don't know about the availability of restaurants.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:19 AM

434 posts, read 1,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
If you like weird, off beat, behind the times, and liberal University atmosphere try Denton.

If you want modernized and big try Plano. Plano is more conservative of course.

Have you tried Lewisville....there is a lake and park called lake lewisville that people really like....Lewisville is better and more developed than Denton. It is like a good blend of Plano and Denton mixed into one.

Yes Lewisville sounds like a better fit. Plano is crowded and doesn't seem where some one new to town would "want" to retitre. But that is my own point of view.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,418,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Lover View Post

We are empty nestors from Orange County, CA. I will retire in a couple months. and want to move to the Dallas area. My husband is Chinese, conservative,vegetarian and has fond memories of Texas (where he received MBA. I am white, liberal, an animal lover (especially birds and dogs) and both of us are Buddists. Would we will fit in either areas?

I would to write, knit and have friends. We won't be able to afford more than between a $120-$130,000 house and love Chinese vegetarian restaurants and markets. Don't want to live very far away from a hospital, library or a Michaels. Love wildflowers, lakes and nature to bits. Love to do Laubach teaching and in general volunteer work. We can't decide between Plano and Denton plus a few towns near by.

Thank you for any help that you can give me.
First of all, you will not be able to get a very nice house for $120-130K in Plano. Plano is more upscale and is full of some really nice and expensive houses. I'm not saying there isn't any in your price range, but not a lot. As far as shopping goes, Plano has every store you could possibly want and 2 malls. There is also several hospitals there. I know that most people who retire want to move to an area that is not as fast paced, and Plano is definitely fast paced, so that is definitely something to think about.

Denton is not as big as Plano is, but still good size and definitely fast growing. You would probably have better luck finding a house in Denton. As far as shopping goes, they have a lot of big box stores and a mall. There is also several hospitals there. It is not as fast paced in Denton as it is in Plano.

In both areas, you would fit in just fine.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
Lewisville or Flower Mound are both good cities. That way when Denton has the music festivals you can make a quick trip up there. About a 25 minutes drive without traffic.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Lewisville or Flower Mound are both good cities. That way when Denton has the music festivals you can make a quick trip up there. About a 25 minutes drive without traffic.

I agree.

Went to college in Denton, now live in the Flower Mound area. Very nice area, and very close to Denton for all the cool stuff that happens there.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 AM

709 posts, read 3,461,432 times
Denton would be my choice over Plano. Mainly because it is still small town mentality with driving distance to the larger communities. I wouldn't say Denton is liberal. It is more of a rural/conservatie community as a whole, although is growing daily. The University has some liberal aspects but honestly any college typically has liberal undertones.
The housing will most definitely be more affordable. There are Chinese restaurants in Denton that are very good. Also, some great Thai food restaurants. Matter of fact one ot the Thai restaurants is co-owned by a Thai woman and her Anglo husband. Their restauraunt is right off the highway near the UNT campus. Yummy!

You may like Plano more since you are from highly populated areas in C and N. There are some populated areas in Plano that are heavily Asian which might be more like you are looking for. Housing as a whole will be more expensive I would think even in the older areas.

Richardson may be another place to look which is very close to Plano/neighbors.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:41 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,418,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
Denton would be my choice over Plano. Mainly because it is still small town mentality with driving distance to the larger communities. I wouldn't say Denton is liberal. It is more of a rural/conservatie community as a whole, although is growing daily. The University has some liberal aspects but honestly any college typically has liberal undertones.
The housing will most definitely be more affordable. There are Chinese restaurants in Denton that are very good. Also, some great Thai food restaurants. Matter of fact one ot the Thai restaurants is co-owned by a Thai woman and her Anglo husband. Their restauraunt is right off the highway near the UNT campus. Yummy!

You may like Plano more since you are from highly populated areas in C and N. There are some populated areas in Plano that are heavily Asian which might be more like you are looking for. Housing as a whole will be more expensive I would think even in the older areas.

Richardson may be another place to look which is very close to Plano/neighbors.
Denton is not rural!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
Denton is pretty darn liberal for Texas.
It has a gay church and a gay nightclub.
The art, bohemian, and musician crowd is huge around the UNT area.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 PM

709 posts, read 3,461,432 times
$DFW8$ Oops..I should of clarified what I meant... When I say rural I am referring to the mentality of many that live in the area. I have friends that live there and that is why they choose to do so. They prefer the "country" type feel and the small town "rural" feeling they get. Also, as far as "rural" it is situated near many ranch and farming communities such as Sanger, Aubrey, Argyle etc. Much more so than Plano to the best of my knowledge. I realize Denton is growing up and there are many more planned communities around that area, but it is still in no way comparable to Plano in my opinion.

As for the "gay" scene...I wouldn't know anything other than what you say artsyguy. I'm sure you are right. However, how does one gay church and one gay nightclub make a whole community "liberal?" This is just a honest question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas