Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
Thank you Laura for helping me make my point. I'm terribly sorry for offending you with my grammatical errors.
What was your point? You have high standards, except when it comes to education? Or driving?

I never said I was offended. I just pointed out that you slammed transplants for not maintaining *your standards*, which seem to be pretty lax in the grammar arena.

I am also not from Wisconsin or Illinois, so disabuse yourself of the notion that you're using me as an example of them.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:36 PM

80 posts, read 417,522 times
I just spent a week in the DFW area, and I can safely say that the attitudes in DFW are NOTHING like the stuck up, self centered, snobby attitudes that I run into every day here in California.

The DFW people seemed friendly and helpful. Exactly the opposite of what you get around here. Nothing but cell phone attached self important types everywhere.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pot_roast View Post
I just spent a week in the DFW area, and I can safely say that the attitudes in DFW are NOTHING like the stuck up, self centered, snobby attitudes that I run into every day here in California.

The DFW people seemed friendly and helpful. Exactly the opposite of what you get around here. Nothing but cell phone attached self important types everywhere.
INdeed, my experience moving here from Los Angeles's Westside is that Dallas people here like to complain about the traffic, pollution and snobbiness when all three pale in comparison to Southern California. I suppose it's all about your perspective. I have found the people here to be by and large friendly and down to earth.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Default DALLAS........Home of the 30K millionaires!!!

I have read a few of the posting on the materialism of Dallas and its surrounding areas.......some of them were absolutely hilarious in their reasoning of it.
I grew up in Waco TX, and it was in no what shape or form materialistic (if you exclude the 15000 Baylor students), so you can imagine the CULTURE SHOCK I encountered......my first experience was in 1990 (when I first moved here), I was at JR's, and I was dressed in a nice shirt and tie, some guy approached me and grabbed my tie and proceded to "inspect" the label.....
That was the beginning of 10 years of dealing with DALLITUDE!!!!
In 2000 I moved to Connecticut, just over 60 miles from New York City........and frequented NYC many times.....I only encountered a few rude people there in the 4 years I lived there........I encountered it EVERYDAY in Dallas.
Why is Dallas NOTORIOUS for the senseless Snobbery?........Well just look at it's history of always trying to be something its not. Hence the birth of the 30K Millionaires.
I moved back to Dallas in May of 2006, and things have not changed, in fact they are worse.......Dallas seems to thinks its better than everyone else......This DAllitude is going to be Dallas' downfall, in addition to the credit & mortgage crunch (all the 30K m-aires will soon be BROKE & HOMELESS)......

I will be leaving Dallas January 2008....FOR GOOD!!!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
I just wonder, why do you people care so much? I could care less what the person next to me is driving or is wearing or saying. They're not there to please me. If someone is directly rude to you, don't put up with it.

My experience has been the exact opposite... I've dealt with nothing but normal people. But again, I'm not offended by people who want to drive a Jag or wear a Louis Vuitton purse. I don't make assumptions about other people's finances, just as I don't feel they should care about mine.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Huh. I hold doors open for people if they are close to coming through. The other night, there was an older lady that needed two tables put together for her and her friends - I jumped up and helped her with it. I drive a Ford Ranger with nearly 100K miles and a big old crunchie on one side. My wife drives a 2000 Pathfinder. We could care less about brand names. Heck, I'd wear shorts and a t-shirt every day if I could get away with it! Our neighbors are as nice as can be. We watch each other's houses when someone is out of town. We have parties and invite each other to them. We chat when we're mowing our lawns or getting the mail.

If this is Dallitude, then I want more of it.

Brian

Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I have read a few of the posting on the materialism of Dallas and its surrounding areas.......some of them were absolutely hilarious in their reasoning of it.
I grew up in Waco TX, and it was in no what shape or form materialistic (if you exclude the 15000 Baylor students), so you can imagine the CULTURE SHOCK I encountered......my first experience was in 1990 (when I first moved here), I was at JR's, and I was dressed in a nice shirt and tie, some guy approached me and grabbed my tie and proceded to "inspect" the label.....
That was the beginning of 10 years of dealing with DALLITUDE!!!!
In 2000 I moved to Connecticut, just over 60 miles from New York City........and frequented NYC many times.....I only encountered a few rude people there in the 4 years I lived there........I encountered it EVERYDAY in Dallas.
Why is Dallas NOTORIOUS for the senseless Snobbery?........Well just look at it's history of always trying to be something its not. Hence the birth of the 30K Millionaires.
I moved back to Dallas in May of 2006, and things have not changed, in fact they are worse.......Dallas seems to thinks its better than everyone else......This DAllitude is going to be Dallas' downfall, in addition to the credit & mortgage crunch (all the 30K m-aires will soon be BROKE & HOMELESS)......

I will be leaving Dallas January 2008....FOR GOOD!!!!!
"Everyday? for 10 years? I find that hard to believe. I think alot of times when people want to find something wrong in a place they will find a way to find it. Not being a Texas native and not completely understanding the dynamics between Dallas and smaller cities in the state, perhaps there's some inherent jealousy that folks in small cities like Waco have towards bigger cities like Dallas? It's been my experience that when people are overly sensitive to how others see them it usually comes from a place of insecurity rather than the other person (or people or city, etc.) actually caring or holding those views. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

I can only speak for myself and my experience in which I have personally encountered zero snobbery (and i live in a pricier area) and compared to where I come from Dallas is much less "snobby" and materialistic. But compared to Waco? Maybe it is.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
"Everyday? for 10 years? I find that hard to believe. I think alot of times when people want to find something wrong in a place they will find a way to find it. Not being a Texas native and not completely understanding the dynamics between Dallas and smaller cities in the state, perhaps there's some inherent jealousy that folks in small cities like Waco have towards bigger cities like Dallas? It's been my experience that when people are overly sensitive to how others see them it usually comes from a place of insecurity rather than the other person (or people or city, etc.) actually caring or holding those views. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

I can only speak for myself and my experience in which I have personally encountered zero snobbery (and i live in a pricier area) and compared to where I come from Dallas is much less "snobby" and materialistic. But compared to Waco? Maybe it is.
LMAO, So VERY Dallas, that you just had to point out that you "live in a pricier area". Congradulations you are now an official Dallasite. Now, just how much "pricier" than what? Fair Park or Preston Hollow? It really doesn't matter....... I don't care, because if I did that would make me just as bad as the pretentious Jerks we deal with everyday in this city......

Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
LMAO, So VERY Dallas, that you just had to point out that you "live in a pricier area". Congradulations you are now an official Dallasite. Now, just how much "pricier" than what? Fair Park or Preston Hollow? It really doesn't matter....... I don't care, because if I did that would make me just as bad as the pretentious Jerks we deal with everyday in this city......
It's clear he mentioned that he lived in a "pricier area" because that's where we all assume the snobs live. He hasn't encountered snobbishness in the area of town where one would expect it.

Living with a chip on your shoulder is no fun.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 AM

I wouldn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas