Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

JVTX don't be intimidated by these people who heap attitude on you! Coming from an area with all incomes, I have found them to be quite amusing over the years. Think of the tie incident as a good story. I have lots of them from dealing with people all up and down the Preston Road "Golden Corridor".

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 PM

37 posts, read 91,091 times
give me a break! you must be one of the "have nots"

Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
LMAO, So VERY Dallas, that you just had to point out that you "live in a pricier area". Congradulations you are now an official Dallasite. Now, just how much "pricier" than what? Fair Park or Preston Hollow? It really doesn't matter....... I don't care, because if I did that would make me just as bad as the pretentious Jerks we deal with everyday in this city......
Oh please. I moved here from Los Angeles, don't tell me about pretentious snobbery. I live in an apartment that costs under $1000 and a big night out for my wife and me is ice cream at Cold Stone, we are saving our pennies to buy a house and we have a baby on the way. I have no need to impress anyone, especially anonymous people on an internet forum.

I wrote about the nieghborhood I live in simply to illustrate that I live amongst folks who do have some money and they do not flaunt it. I live here because as an Orthodox Jew I have to be within walking distance of my synagogue, and that means living in this neighborhood. If I cared about what people thought of where I live I would have stayed in L.A.

Are there jerks in Dallas? I think your post confirms that indeed there are.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:49 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Oh please. I moved here from Los Angeles, don't tell me about pretentious snobbery. I live in an apartment that costs under $1000 and a big night out for my wife and me is ice cream at Cold Stone, we are saving our pennies to buy a house and we have a baby on the way. I have no need to impress anyone, especially anonymous people on an internet forum.

I wrote about the nieghborhood I live in simply to illustrate that I live amongst folks who do have some money and they do not flaunt it. I live here because as an Orthodox Jew I have to be within walking distance of my synagogue, and that means living in this neighborhood. If I cared about what people thought of where I live I would have stayed in L.A.

Are there jerks in Dallas? I think your post confirms that indeed there are.
blah blah blah blah blah

Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,538 times
Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah
lol, brilliant comeback!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
blah blah blah blah blah
Kerplunk! My ignore list gets a new member!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:10 AM

109 posts, read 477,711 times
I know Materialism is EVERYWHERE. I currently live in South Jersey, it's very laid back, relaxed and I like it. When I was in North Jersey it was similar to Dallas. My friend bought her son an MP3 when they first came out. 2 months later a Better one came out. She bought it for him!! Now he has the iphone. But, they are JUST keeping UP with the Jones's.

Anyway, my whole family lives in Mansfield. We've been out twice and think it will be a good area to live/raise children. I have 5. How is it there? Is it more laid back, or trying to keep up?
TIA
Tammy

Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Has anyone else noticed the materialistic nature of Dallas? I moved to Plano with my family in '02 and started as a junior at Plano West. I came from 'burbs of Chicago but was really shocked at the cars kids drove. The student parking lot looked better than the teachers parking lot.

Soon, my Jeep wasn't enough and I made my parents buy me an Audi. Slowly, I noticed myself becoming more and more of a Dallas snob. Brand conscious, a bit of arrogance, dropping names.

Now I've grown out of that a bit (being in San Antonio), but still whenever I go back it comes back. But doesn't it seem like a lot of people in Dallas are like this?

So what's up with this? In Chicago there was definitely materialism but no where near the magnitude it is in Dallas and Collin county. How did Dallas become this way?
I'd like to know how you, as a high school student "made" your parents buy you anything?? That in itself sounds like a manipulative ungrateful brat, and now that you're older and worded it that way, it sounds like a snobbish comment.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
give me a break! you must be one of the "have nots"
What I HAVE NOT is a "holier than thou" attitude because I possess more "designer" items.
What I HAVE is a comfortable home, loving family & friends, excellent health, decent income, reliable transportation.
So does that give anyone the right to treat others as if they are NOBODY....no it doesnt.
That comment just proves the attitude that Dallas possesses.
But more often than not the ones that scream what they HAVE are usually the real HAVE NOTS.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Obviously this thread is spinning out of control and will now be closed. For those of you who insist on arguing back and forth, please know that infractions will be issued and, because of you, threads end up getting closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas