Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM

633 posts, read 2,543,753 times

Advertisements

LOL, sorry to laugh, but I understand where you are coming from. I'm just different that way. I'm really tired of 70 and sun and just the same exact weather every friggin day.

My only thought on OK, is it is where I was born and where my parents are. However, I've checked into it and the economy there just doesn't support our lifestyle. In the midwest/south, Dallas does.

Tornadoes do not scare me. Everyone out here in CA thinks I'm nuts. I tell them I have no idea when an earthquake is coming, and it doesn't matter where I am when it does. Tornadoes-there has to be certain weather conditions present for one to exist. And if you can have a cellar or basement, great. If not, then go to the most indoor part of your home and take flashlight, cell phone and transistor radio with you and cover your head.

I wanted to be a meteorologist growing up until I realized how much math was involved, lol.

Anyway, I totally understand your thoughts on my being careful moving. This is something we have been planning for a while. I have checked out many different parts of the country and Dallas just feels right. It's just that gut feeling. And my momma always told me I should pay attention to that little voice.

Are you in San Diego now?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM

424 posts, read 1,818,987 times
Default I guess we'll be outcasts from the way it sounds here!

We are going to relocate from MN to Dallas somewhere. We are very excited about our move hopefully which will occur soon. I drive a 1996 Mercury Villager and hubby drives a 1998 Ford Ranger. I guess we'll be outcasts, but debt free! We don't even have cable television, but you know what? We might get to retire. Minnesota is so expensive that you get taxed to death and everyone who started out buying a 240,000. home now owes about 350,000.+ because to have the good life, they have borrowed their life away. The answer is either Foreclosure or staying deep in debt. Our realestate market is NOT good here unless, like us you own a starter home. I hear foreclosure is at the all time high in Texas as well. Who knows, if I could afford it, I probably would have a nice car as well (by afford, I mean still put away about 600.00 a month away for retirement). I don't want to live in my car someday when I retire

If you can afford the stuff without being in debt, great. We could have expensive things, but choose not to. When we move, we may just end up getting cable Maybe our simplistic lifestyle will be the thing we miss...while fitting in. It sure won't be the taxes, weather or the Minnesota snobs. We may well end up being the highest taxed state after this legislative session. Our Democrats were just given a report card of Ds and Fs. BTW: For any Minnesotans I may offend by this comment, I have lived here my whole life. I don't think Texans could be nearly as snobby as Minnesotans, can they? They don't seem like it. Regardless, we're going to love Texas for what it is...warm and friendly.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:53 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,443,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
Are you in San Diego now?
Sorta. I've lived here in Dallas since last September, but my wife and kids have remained in San Diego.

We're waiting for the kids to finish school.

I go back there at least once a month and they come here about as often.

It's still really hard though. Every time I leave to come back here, it feels like there is a death in the family or something horrible.....this is the hardest thing I've ever done.

If everyone wants to relocate it's one thing, but when there are people in the family that don't....wow. I have to keep telling myself, 'nobody died, we can always go back if we want to'

I almost think my wife is praying that I get laid off or something and have to return home to San Diego.

This part is really making me question whether or not buying a home was the right thing to do.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,930,164 times
catluvr, no you will not be an outcast, lol. There are plenty of older cars/trucks out here on the roads. Hey, the older it is just makes it that much closer to being a classic, right? My daddy said that about one of his old cars. They sold that 65 Ford Fairlane for a few hunderd dollars and thought they did good. Now those things are worth a mint if in mint condition. LOL!!! You will also NOT be the only one w/o cable. We went w/o cable for a long time after we got married till all the sports went to cable networks. We ARE in Dallas so sports is a major part of the lifestyle . But only basic cable, no premium channels or movie channels and w/ this on demand stuff now who needs those movie channels like HBO. I even know a few families that do not own tv's, seriously. They are not outcasts either nor are they out in left field somewhere in a cult or whatever. Normal folks that are just as nice as can be.

As for being from Minnesota, we DO have THE Stars. The Dallas Stars that is. My favorite team. HUGE hockey fan as are many people here in Dallas. You will find many people here in the Dallas area from Minnesota so don't worry. Just root for the Stars and not that other team, what are they called

Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,289,171 times
Default Homesick?

Socketz-
Maybe your wife will feel differently after she also makes the move. Moving is tough though and takes some time to adjust. We moved to Dallas from Lubbock about 22 years ago. I was excited about making the move but even then, I was very homesick for a long time. My husband had to come here for job opportunity which we couldn't find in Lubbock at the time. So going back was really not an option. (We had to put food on the table so to speak.) Before we left Lubbock, some one said, "oh, you'll hate Dallas for the first 6 months, then you'll love it!" Well,it took longer than six months to acclimate and not feel homesick, but you do adjust and learn to love it! (I still don't like the humidity... )

I know it must be especially hard being away from your family and them from you. Hopefully, things will improve when you are all reunited again

Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,152,237 times
You'll be fine Catluvr, I've managed to survive up here in "The place to be" (Plano) since November, and I'm driving a 1997 VW Jetta, with the driver and passenger door bumperstrips missing, and the driver door's missing the interior panel. (But it's paid for and runs like a champ.) We won't mention the 1982 Dodge Rampage in the garage... It's tag expired in 2003, and it hasn't run since 2004. But it's on the budget for engine work this summer.) We don't have cable, but we do have satellite service. (But it's $40 after taxes and fees, with no premiums.) The cell phones we have are pre-paid and run us about $10 a month for minutes. We do go to the movies about twice a month, but only to the $1 theater on Coit. (And Tuesday's are $0.50.)

Yeah, I'm cheap, but I'm living on less than I make too!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 AM

989 posts, read 5,929,859 times
Don't know much about Dallas, but it seems that Plano is the place to be!!

Dont get me wrong, I love the smaller things in life way better too! (friends, family, good times), but you add in a memorable outer image and you have memories that will last forever! ..I wouldn't call myself, "materialistic." I'd call myself "competitive." Visited Scottsdale, AZ(loved it!) been to Vail, CO many times(loved it too).. Despite that, I don't need the flossy/pretentious attitude to survive. I could live in Montana and live just fine(but less inspiring). Personally, I like where I'm living-Orange County- a beautiful/hip environ. that motivates me to work harder for myself and my family(as a small business owner).

Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM

41 posts, read 177,260 times
Fascinating thread!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM

40 posts, read 134,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Soon, my Jeep wasn't enough and I made my parents buy me an Audi. Slowly, I noticed myself becoming more and more of a Dallas snob. Brand conscious, a bit of arrogance, dropping names.
Your parents are/were weak...YOU made them? Wow...if you were my kid, I would made you pick your own switch.

If my kid comes up to me asking for a new vehicle and can't pay for it himself...he does not need it. Kids that get , or get to TELL THEIR PARENTS they want a new car never learn the value of the dollar. I pity them.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 PM

80 posts, read 417,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post

Soon, my Jeep wasn't enough and I made my parents buy me an Audi. Slowly, I noticed myself becoming more and more of a Dallas snob. Brand conscious, a bit of arrogance, dropping names.
You oughta see it here in the Silicon Valley. Teenagers driving to school in brand new Escalades, Jaguars, Range Rovers, etc.

I wish that I was kidding.

How much did you sell the Jeep for? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas