Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,396,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnarama View Post
This is a great thread. I and my wife were just talking yesterday about the size of the first house that we should be buying after delaying it for so long. This thread resembles a lot of what we were discussing. We maintained a 2002 Ford focus car for the entire family for almost four years and took commuter train from Suburbs in Boston to downtown boston,MA(yes I am from MA and recently registered here and reading these boards for a while for more info about North texas. I did travel to TX last year to actually see it first hand. I will post my opinions soon). After the long commute took a toll on my health we decided to buy a second car. After living a modest life for so many years we decided to go for little luxuary and chose Nissan Murano for its looks. I probably drove it couple of times during its first year. It just makes me sad sitting infront of the wheels and feel so much guilt driving it. I am so happy and excited to take my ford focus everyday to work.

But I want to add to previous posters response by saying that adding fuel to this materialism in US is easy monetary policy,which is fostering excess consumption. I see pizza guys delivering pizzas in BMW in my town(Attleboro,MA) . I would imagine lots of them are buying Plasma TV,High Definition TV, suvs,McMansions using zero down,variable rate,no documents loans. Other wise what explains our debt levels as percentage of GDP sitting at peak of Mount Whitney.I do not think materialism is an issue specific to Plano,TX or Cary,NC. It is every where. But what I noticed in my travels is the gap between rich and poor is diverging at a scary rate.Unless we go through some painful process(It will not be painful if you live below your means),this process is going to accelerate.
I saw the same thing here in Plano. A few months ago, a guy delivered pizza to my house and he had what looked like a rather new-looking BMW out front. Also, he wasn't a kid... He looked to be about late 30s at least.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:29 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,396,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Your exactly right!! What's really silly is that people actually go through the thought process of ... "Hmmm...I need to live where it's considered "THE" place to be."
Yes, and I think 'THE' place changes every 2 years or so... that seems like an awful lot of moving around.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:04 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,073,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
Your parents are/were weak...YOU made them? Wow...if you were my kid, I would made you pick your own switch.

If my kid comes up to me asking for a new vehicle and can't pay for it himself...he does not need it. Kids that get , or get to TELL THEIR PARENTS they want a new car never learn the value of the dollar. I pity them.
Pick his own switch? One fellow I know was invited to do that when he was a kid... he picked out the stick his mom was going to hit him with. Turns out that she was unable to lift it, it was so heavy. He was a husky kid.

It's normal to limit spending on children to what is reasonable in view of the family income, but I don't think that forcing people into poverty teaches them any moral lessons. I teach my kid the value of a dollar by showing him the exchange rates in the newspaper.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I saw the same thing here in Plano. A few months ago, a guy delivered pizza to my house and he had what looked like a rather new-looking BMW out front. Also, he wasn't a kid... He looked to be about late 30s at least.
Probably someone who was recently downsized and hasn't found a comparable job yet.

I've read the Bible and also holy books from other religions, and I've never seen anything about being damned to Hell for driving a BMW.

If you don't make good money, people think you're a bum. If you do make good money, you're materialistic. If you spend the money you make, you're profilgate. If you don't spend it, you're a miser. The greater evil is actually in trying to mind other people's business instead of your own.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
there are schools where you can see kids parking BMWs and Hummers---there is plenty of wealth in Dallas area---and plenty of people who want people to think they are wealthy...

Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM

134 posts, read 1,222,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Probably someone who was recently downsized and hasn't found a comparable job yet.

I've read the Bible and also holy books from other religions, and I've never seen anything about being damned to Hell for driving a BMW.

If you don't make good money, people think you're a bum. If you do make good money, you're materialistic. If you spend the money you make, you're profilgate. If you don't spend it, you're a miser. The greater evil is actually in trying to mind other people's business instead of your own.
For all we know, the "pizza delivery guy" could well have been the manager pitching in due to shortness of staff or just because he could. It's only here in the US that a BMW or Mercedes is seen as a sign of perceived wealth or success. The well traveled know these are both taxi cabs in many places outside the US.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,263,870 times
Isn't the materialism and money thing going on in every city? It seems that way when you go to different cities around City-Data and read. Dallas, DC, Seattle, New York, Atlanta, Miami and everywhere else. What's really amazing is that people are blaming transplants.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Isn't the materialism and money thing going on in every city? It seems that way when you go to different cities around City-Data and read. Dallas, DC, Seattle, New York, Atlanta, Miami and everywhere else. What's really amazing is that people are blaming transplants.
It's a human flaw in every city... to fail to mind your own business and to criticize others for their alleged character flaws... in order to deflect attention from your own.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,603,319 times
Yes, it is easier to point fingers than to admit and then address our own issues. Unfortunate, but true.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 AM

46 posts, read 202,986 times
Everyone knows Texas is 20 years out of date on lots of things--attitudes and beliefs top the list. Dallasites are nothing more than 1980's attitudes with hair straightners--Chi of course!

Actually I think what you are referring to is insecurity at it's finest. It's people with the thought by making other people feel inferior, they can feel better about their own lives. Been there, done that folks. It doesn't work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas