Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 AM

46 posts, read 203,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
For all we know, the "pizza delivery guy" could well have been the manager pitching in due to shortness of staff or just because he could. It's only here in the US that a BMW or Mercedes is seen as a sign of perceived wealth or success. The well traveled know these are both taxi cabs in many places outside the US.

This is actually irrevelent. In the areas you mention, (I assume you mean countries in the Orient or Europe) these vehicles are lower priced and therefore used as "work" vehicles in those countries. The Honda Accord (known as The Honda City) is considered a car of the ultra-rich in India--yet very, very middle-class here.

I would feel much differently about a manager of a pizza joint than I would the delivery guy!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 AM

134 posts, read 1,222,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried'n'FRISCO View Post
This is actually irrevelent. In the areas you mention, (I assume you mean countries in the Orient or Europe) these vehicles are lower priced and therefore used as "work" vehicles in those countries. The Honda Accord (known as The Honda City) is considered a car of the ultra-rich in India--yet very, very middle-class here.

I would feel much differently about a manager of a pizza joint than I would the delivery guy!
The point is it's just a car and therefore has no relevance to wealth in most places. You are saying the same thing I'm saying though... it's just transportation.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,274,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Don't know much about Dallas, but it seems that Plano is the place to be!!

Dont get me wrong, I love the smaller things in life way better too! (friends, family, good times), but you add in a memorable outer image and you have memories that will last forever! ..I wouldn't call myself, "materialistic." I'd call myself "competitive." Visited Scottsdale, AZ(loved it!) been to Vail, CO many times(loved it too).. Despite that, I don't need the flossy/pretentious attitude to survive. I could live in Montana and live just fine(but less inspiring). Personally, I like where I'm living-Orange County- a beautiful/hip environ. that motivates me to work harder for myself and my family(as a small business owner).
Plano is certainly the place to be... if you can't afford Dallas.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 AM

168 posts, read 500,731 times
Dallas, home of the $75k millionaires

Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,157,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Plano is certainly the place to be... if you can't afford Dallas.
...or if you just don't want to put up with Dallas's problems.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
...or if you just don't want to put up with Dallas's problems.
Tell me about it! It was horrible riding my bike to White Rock Lake on Sunday. And my 15 minute commute to downtown was brutal this morning! I was jockeying with my neighbor's Aston Martin DB-9 all the way down Ross.

Also this weekend, I went to a neighborhood wine bar and walked around the eclectic shops in the 1920's Lakewood shopping center. There's only one chain store in the whole neighborhood - Cantina Laredo. We then put the top down on my car and meandered down Swiss Avenue to look at the 1920's mansions. Then I drove 5 minutes back to the house. Horror. Dallas, we have a problem.

I must confess, we returned to our house only to find we had an unexpected visitor while we were out. It's just another one of those problems we have in the city. Leaves. Yes, I had to rake leaves in my yard. All those 50 foot tall trees have started to turn color. Then I had to talk to my neighbors! They're always in their front yards chatting. I guess it's good to hear their kids are doing well in the TAG magnet school (#1 in the USA).

And we do have a crime problem. Three cars were broken into in my reporting district at White Rock Lake. That brings the total crime in my area to four reported incidents this year. It's a freakin' crime wave!

So yes, Dallas does certainly have it's problems. And I love the city for it.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,722,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
Dallas, home of the $75k millionaires
Millionaire doesn't refer income, rather net worth.

It takes $750 a month for 25 years @ 10% interest in mutual funds to have $1,000,000... and that would discount any additional savings or net worth due to home equity. Is that really unattainable for someone making $75k? Why does everyone assume that someone making $75k isn't a millionaire.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,771,278 times
>> Also this weekend, I went to a neighborhood wine bar and walked around the eclectic shops in the 1920's Lakewood shopping center. There's only one chain store in the whole neighborhood - Cantina Laredo.<<

I recently went over to Teter's plumbing supply to ask a question / get advice about a shower head problem (older plumbing) that Home Depot could not answer. The Home Depot guy referred me to Teter's and I will continue to go there if the need arises. A woman who worked there actually answered my question, offered a solution to the cost of $4.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
"It's nice and all but the people are so fake and when you ask someone from Plano where they're from they're quick to let everyone know they're from 'West Plano' and many times they may even let you know what subdivision they live in. "

I hear people talking about this alot when I'm in line at places like Chipolte.

However, every city has these types of places.

Plano was 'THE' place to be for so long that alot of folks there haven't realized that 'THE' status has headed to the northern latitudes of Dallas.
I think this captures the essence of why Plano was never the place to be.

Chipolte. You're standing in line at a chain restaurant eating a burrito in a strip mall. You're not at the French Room in downtown Dallas. Not in Lola's, N9NE Steakhouse or Nobu in Uptown. Those are all in the City of Dallas. In a real city. With real buildings. Not a strip mall next to a cow pasture.

Nope. You're on the prairie at a strip mall in a Chipolte talking about how rich you are. This is why Dallasites have always thought those folks in Collin County are bush-leaguers. It has only been "the place to be" for people who couldn't afford Dallas. So they have to move up north to live on the prairie. Now there's nothing wrong with that. But don't pretend it was the place to be. It never has been.

Plain-o is appropriately named. There's nothing special about cheap tract housing and strip malls. That's why it has never and will never be the "place to be."

Talking about immense wealth while eating at a Chipolte? Classic.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,157,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Tell me about it! It was horrible riding my bike to White Rock Lake on Sunday. And my 15 minute commute to downtown was brutal this morning! I was jockeying with my neighbor's Aston Martin DB-9 all the way down Ross.

Also this weekend, I went to a neighborhood wine bar and walked around the eclectic shops in the 1920's Lakewood shopping center. There's only one chain store in the whole neighborhood - Cantina Laredo. We then put the top down on my car and meandered down Swiss Avenue to look at the 1920's mansions. Then I drove 5 minutes back to the house. Horror. Dallas, we have a problem.

I must confess, we returned to our house only to find we had an unexpected visitor while we were out. It's just another one of those problems we have in the city. Leaves. Yes, I had to rake leaves in my yard. All those 50 foot tall trees have started to turn color. Then I had to talk to my neighbors! They're always in their front yards chatting. I guess it's good to hear their kids are doing well in the TAG magnet school (#1 in the USA).

And we do have a crime problem. Three cars were broken into in my reporting district at White Rock Lake. That brings the total crime in my area to four reported incidents this year. It's a freakin' crime wave!

So yes, Dallas does certainly have it's problems. And I love the city for it.
True to my name, I'm a DALLAS native...grew up inside the loop in north Dallas, went to Hillcrest, etc. I suppose living in Lakewood is fine but if you work in Plano, where my company is moving shortly, living in Plano would be much easier.

Also...I hate Cantina Laredo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas