Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM

458 posts, read 2,768,238 times

Advertisements

I'm still in a long debate on Dallas vs. Phoenix and my question is, how often do you personally usually wear summer type clothing particularly in the fall/winter time? i.e. t-shirts, shorts, no jacket, etc. I want to get away from the cold and while I've heard Dallas winters aren't bad at all compared to here, I am still worried that it will be just an improvement over winters here (Louisville, KY area), and not a "big change." I don't like wearing long pants, sweatshirts, etc. and I prefer to wear t-shirts and shorts as long as I can without being too uncomfortable. I'm known to not even wear a jacket very often in the winter time because it's pretty much just go from house to car to someone else's house, etc. I keep one in the car just in case something happens and we are stranded outside or something but I usually don't wear it much. I don't like the cold, but I don't like jackets, etc. You get my drift.

Basically, I'll personally wear a t-shirt and shorts in anything over about 60. I know it's going to get cold at night there, but how often would it be warm enough for t-shirt and shorts from say November-March? I'd be fine with having to wear pants and all sometimes, but I don't want it to be for like 4 months straight like it is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,685,377 times
I hate wearing coats and hardly ever do. I'll carry it w/ me if I HAVE TO but otherwise like you said the car is in the garage and even parking at the grocery store and going in from the back of the parking lot one hardly needs a coat here. This past winter was so not normal and we had to wear them more often than normal. Most winters when it is "cold" as a female I can get by w/ a tank or cami w/ a lightweight zip sweater or jacket over it. Winter capri's and such are great as I also don't like wearing long pants all the time. It is not unusual to see people that are accustomed to much colder weather to be wearing shorts and t-shirts here even when it is COLD! I've been known to wear shorts and a sweater or sweatshirt (no coat of course) and this is a common sight. Even going to hockey games I seldom carry a coat inside w/ me and many others do not as well. Now you will see the person inside the game w/ the heaviest down coat, gloves, hat, scarf, etc and I have to wonder........ I MIGHT have a scarf and some lightweight gloves but seldom the coat or jacket. Now, it can be VERY warm even during the holidays. It is great that on Christmas the kids can go outside to ride their new bikes and not need to bundle up. My kids have winter birthdays and we have had cookouts w/ outdoor bounce houses and all in some beautiful weather in December and January. I too hate the cold and will take our heat over the extreme cold anyday. I can cool off a lot easier than I can get warm.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I hate wearing coats and hardly ever do. I'll carry it w/ me if I HAVE TO but otherwise like you said the car is in the garage and even parking at the grocery store and going in from the back of the parking lot one hardly needs a coat here. This past winter was so not normal and we had to wear them more often than normal. Most winters when it is "cold" as a female I can get by w/ a tank or cami w/ a lightweight zip sweater or jacket over it. Winter capri's and such are great as I also don't like wearing long pants all the time. It is not unusual to see people that are accustomed to much colder weather to be wearing shorts and t-shirts here even when it is COLD! I've been known to wear shorts and a sweater or sweatshirt (no coat of course) and this is a common sight. Even going to hockey games I seldom carry a coat inside w/ me and many others do not as well. Now you will see the person inside the game w/ the heaviest down coat, gloves, hat, scarf, etc and I have to wonder........ I MIGHT have a scarf and some lightweight gloves but seldom the coat or jacket. Now, it can be VERY warm even during the holidays. It is great that on Christmas the kids can go outside to ride their new bikes and not need to bundle up. My kids have winter birthdays and we have had cookouts w/ outdoor bounce houses and all in some beautiful weather in December and January. I too hate the cold and will take our heat over the extreme cold anyday. I can cool off a lot easier than I can get warm.
Agreed with everything. I can't stand pants and coats and don't want to wear them unless I have to. As for the hockey games, when we went to Dallas in April, I ice skated at the ice rink in the Parks Mall in Arlington in shorts and a t-shirt and wasn't really cold

Here in Loserville as I like to call it (Louisville) we no longer have any hockey but when we used to have an AHL team I always either didn't wear a jacket or took it off once I got inside. I don't think temps in ice rinks are all that bad really. I go ice skating around here in the winter sometimes, and it's warmer inside there than it is outside

Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,391,966 times
Summer clothes ??? Wishful thinking I guess. No summer in sight here.

Here's what you need a pair of:

Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,668,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Summer clothes ??? Wishful thinking I guess. No summer in sight here.

Here's what you need a pair of:
Oh come on Sockets...those look great with a pair of shorts!! I hear those are replacing Uggs now!! LMAO!!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,741,703 times
I've lived here for about 10 years and except the last winter, I'd say winters usually are very mild. Last winter was fairly harsh for the area. You definitely had to wear jackets for a few weeks.

But 2007 so far is a very unusual year for Dallas. A cold winter followed by a washed out late spring and early summer. 74F this afternoon with rain. 74F on July 5th in Dallas !!!

I grew up in Austria, where the weather is cold and nasty in the valleys from November to April. Compared to that, Dallas' winters are very pleasant.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 PM

45 posts, read 204,825 times
I just came FROM Phoenix. This is great compared to 116 degrees.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,567,552 times
Looking at National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report, I compared your current location (Louisville, KY) to Phoenix and Dallas. Here are the average high/low temps for Jan and July (coldest and hottest months):

January:
Louisville - Avg Daily High = 41, low = 25
Dallas - Avg Daily High = 55, Low = 36
Phoenix - Avg Daily High = 65, low = 43

July:
Louisville - Avg Daily High = 87, low = 70
Dallas - Avg Daily High = 96, Low = 77
Phoenix - Avg Daily High = 104, low = 81

As you can see, the average temp during the day is 14 degrees higher than your current home; 11 degrees at night.

I'm not sure how you like heat, but an average of greater than 100 degrees is out of my comfort zone. Incidentally, in Phoenix - their June, July, August AND September average highs are hotter than the hottest average for Dallas. Wow - and I thought summers here were hot (well, not this summer - if it ever starts. hehe).

Hopefully this helps put some statistical data into your decision. Phoenix also only has ONE month per year that has more than one inch of rain per month. I knew it was dry, but wow - that really is dry!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Looking at National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report, I compared your current location (Louisville, KY) to Phoenix and Dallas. Here are the average high/low temps for Jan and July (coldest and hottest months):

January:
Louisville - Avg Daily High = 41, low = 25
Dallas - Avg Daily High = 55, Low = 36
Phoenix - Avg Daily High = 65, low = 43

July:
Louisville - Avg Daily High = 87, low = 70
Dallas - Avg Daily High = 96, Low = 77
Phoenix - Avg Daily High = 104, low = 81

As you can see, the average temp during the day is 14 degrees higher than your current home; 11 degrees at night.

I'm not sure how you like heat, but an average of greater than 100 degrees is out of my comfort zone. Incidentally, in Phoenix - their June, July, August AND September average highs are hotter than the hottest average for Dallas. Wow - and I thought summers here were hot (well, not this summer - if it ever starts. hehe).

Hopefully this helps put some statistical data into your decision. Phoenix also only has ONE month per year that has more than one inch of rain per month. I knew it was dry, but wow - that really is dry!!!
Thanks for taking the time to find those stats. That helps more.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:16 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,391,966 times
Interesting.

So since I've been here for 9 short months we've had the coldest winter in years and the most rain the area has seen since the 1920s.

Is someone trying to tell me something ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas