Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Here is another link from the National Association of Homebuilders, back from 2000 though, so the rates may be dated. I know the home prices are. Click on Metropolitan Areas. It's an Excel file. It shows the property tax rate per $1,000 in Dallas is $16.73, while in LA it is $7.38.
Using your numbers, property tax on a $190k house in Dallas would be $3178.70 annually while property tax on a $500k home in LA would be $3690 annually.

So not only do you pay more in real numbers in property taxes in LA, you get a mortgage well over twice what you would pay in Dallas and you would have to live dozens of miles out in to the suburbs to get something close to $500k that is not in a ghetto area.

Again, another reason why Californians like me live in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
I also read that these property taxes help fund the Texas public schools which I have heard most are very good compared to LAs which most are horrible.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM

rb4browns, is the traffic in LA and Dallas at all comparable? or is that like comparing day and night?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
rb4browns, is the traffic in LA and Dallas at all comparable? or is that like comparing day and night?
Not as bad as L.A. but if you rely on a main artery for commuting it can be tough. Rush hour here is usually shorter and unlike LA where the whole city gridlocks rush hour is usually in one direction in the morning and the opposite in the evening.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Using your numbers, property tax on a $190k house in Dallas would be $3178.70 annually while property tax on a $500k home in LA would be $3690 annually.

My house is valued at a little over $180K (fought that one down, thank God), and my tax bill with no homestead exemption is $4600.

That's 2.5%, which is a little high, but not that much higher than the rest of the D/FW area.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
My house is valued at a little over $180K (fought that one down, thank God), and my tax bill with no homestead exemption is $4600.

That's 2.5%, which is a little high, but not that much higher than the rest of the D/FW area.
So you're paying an excessive property tax relative to other people in the DFW area... I pay $3,660... which guarantees me plenty of municipal services... and that's a reasonable local city and county and school tax payment. Of course I pay $0.0 in state income tax.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post

So not only do you pay more in real numbers in property taxes in LA, you get a mortgage well over twice what you would pay in Dallas and you would have to live dozens of miles out in to the suburbs to get something close to $500k that is not in a ghetto area.

Again, another reason why Californians like me live in Dallas.

My numbers? I don't work for the National Association of Homebuilders.

Home prices in LA are dropping like a rock. They'll never be as low as Dallas, but they are still falling. Likewise dollar amount of property taxes is dropping like a rock too.

The median home price in the LA area will probably settle around $300,000 or so, less than twice the level in Dallas. But Dallas property taxes, based on that data I pulled up, is more than twice that in LA. So when things finally settle down LA residence will be paying less in property taxes than those in Dallas.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post

This is spot-on with what I was paying on my house in Dallas when I lived there. It was assessed at $190,000 and I paid very close to that in taxes, with the homestead exemption. I lived in the lower Greenville area, so the City of Dallas.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 PM
cue

20 posts, read 65,520 times
Ok, so I want to give you some info from someone in the LA area who is getting the hell out of dodge to move to Dallas. I have lived over half my life in Los Angeles County in Various areas, and have worked as a real estate appraiser primarly in LA county and parts of Orange and San Diego Counties. With that being said, if you truely want to work in a big city but be able to have a family, Dallas dollar for dollar is the place to be. If you get married and decide to have a family your wife if she wants would not be able to stay home on the 61k income you would make here unless you live in san bernadino or riverside counties(not as desirable) or unless you live in an apartment. Rent here is not just double the price for an average 3/2 home but also half the sqft. Backyards are unheard of here unless your above $600,000 or in the less desirable areas. We do have some good schools but are hit an miss, in one district the elem. may be good but the middle school in junk. There are perks to LA, but not so many that it would out way what you get dollar for dollar in Texas. Plus we have some of the worst traffic next to NY, just tonight I sat on the parking lot we Californian's call the 405 freeway. A normal 80 minute drive from Orange county to the valley took 3 1/2 hours(yuck) and that was with no accidents and this is normal for a tuesday, on fridays you my as well turn your enigne off and have dinner on the side of the road because you don't budge, and don't get me started on the 5 frwy it's even worse and there is no carpool lane. Now if you do decide on LA there are decent areas, but you buty up to crappy areas and you'll expect to pay double or triple per sqft over Dallas.

Best wishes in whatever your decision is.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
My numbers? I don't work for the National Association of Homebuilders.

Home prices in LA are dropping like a rock. They'll never be as low as Dallas, but they are still falling. Likewise dollar amount of property taxes is dropping like a rock too.

The median home price in the LA area will probably settle around $300,000 or so, less than twice the level in Dallas. But Dallas property taxes, based on that data I pulled up, is more than twice that in LA. So when things finally settle down LA residence will be paying less in property taxes than those in Dallas.
I don't think those 300k houses in LA are going to like nearly as nice as the 190k houses in TX however. I have been trouble finding decent houses in LA for 500k even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas