Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 07:14 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times

Advertisements

I went to this last night, it was excellent.

See the IMAX show either right before the exhibit or right after.

http://www.natureandscience.org/bodyworlds/default.asp

Expensive ($90 for a family of 4), but very impressive. My kids loved it as well and want to go back (ouch $$$).

Also, before the IMAX prez there is a cool 15 min aerial segment on Dallas put together by te folks at TI. Very nice.

Ok, now for the bad.

The only downside of the entire experience was the poor grade of employee employed by this facility. Wow, I grew up in DC where museums are a way of life and never have I ever run across anyone in a museum so lazy and uninspired - one girl was actually sleeping and laying across the exit gate - dude, hello! In my 3 hours there, I have like 4 stories that emphasize why I'm disapointed, but for now, I wont go there and tarnish the overall experience....fire those that work there now, hire some young/hungry kids out of UT, end of story.

Also, the museum does not seem very well maintained. However, I think they are building a new one right ? Fairpark actually seemed like a neat area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
Yes the Science Museum is very worn. Maybe the Body Worlds exhibit will help revive it. I understand that Science Museums across the US have really embraced Body Worlds due to it bringing in the revenue to survive. I understand your feelings too on museums. That is the point of a good vacation, we always pick a spot with a great one.

As far as Body Worlds goes, my kids don't have the mindset to see it. Parents know their kids and I know that mine could not get past the fact of who they once were instead of as a speciman. When my grandmother died, my oldest could hardly stand it and had such a bad time with seeing my grandmother dead. It gave her all sorts of dreams and was rather unconsolable till she dreamed my grandmother telling her she was in heaven. That was the only thing that calmed her down. Too when she has her classmates tell her what they have seen, she wants to run away because it bothers her.

When I heard of this just a few months ago, it was sort of shocking to hear of it because it seems like something you would read about in a science fiction novel. It was very bizarre to hear about that. I know many who have gone and are really educated on the body and loved it. Though it helps as a great teaching tool, we will stay away due to knowing how my kids are.

I am glad though your kids liked it, 90 dollars for 4 whew that is expensive!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
My wife and kids went to the Ft Worth museum yesterday. They really enjoyed the museum, but were put off by the number of field trips held yesterday. (Taks day, it appears a number of school keep the distractions down by removing the other kids.)

On the price, it's usually cheaper to pay for an annual membership that visit twice. Many museums offer reciprocal arrangements where a membership to one offers access to all. We did that for a number of years in South Carolina and really enjoyed it.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM

50 posts, read 299,879 times
This is the second time this week that I've heard someone rave about the Bodyworks exhibit. It looked really creepy and I wasn't even going to consider going. Now, because of the great reviews it's getting I'm going to try to see it this weekend.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM

Honestly, it's amazing. I grew up around some of the best museums in the world in DC, and this one left me with a lasting impression.

I honestly can't even fathom how much science/work went into building such an exhibit. The layout is also very well thought out. This really kicks exhibits all over the world up a notch. You will understand once you see it.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The first time I heard that it was coming I did not fully comprehend what it all was. Since I've had several friends that have gone and LOVED IT! I know my kids are not up to it, well, not my youngest, and I don't think I'm up to some parts of it - the pregnant lady.......... uh, no, that would totally make me sick. From everything I've heard from friends that have gone they all enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best exhibits they have ever seen.

As for Fair Park, well, it is VERY old and for too many years no one paid much attention to it. There is the Friends of Fair Park and other revitilization efforts that have REALLY helped to get Fair Park the attention it deserves. Some of the museums are great while others are just small exhibits to pay tribute to something. The aquarium at Fair Park is not near as good as the aquarium by the West End. The IMAX and Science museum have different exhibits that come thru that are geared more towards children. Same goes for the Museum of Natural History but for kids they are great. You can count on a field trip or two to these places. The Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher are MUCH better for cont. art. For all of you newbie's I say make it a point to visit the State Fair of Texas at least once this year. There will be more exhibits at Fair Park during the fair that are not always open.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:29 PM

When is the State Fair ? I seem to recall you talking about that with us last year around September ?

My little girl loves art, where is the Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher located ?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The State Fair of Texas this year will be Sept 28 - Oct 21.
www.bigtex.com
fyi, all of the school kids get a Fair Day and a free ticket to the fair. Also check the fair schedule to see what days get you in w/ certain discounts. Like on Tuesdays a Dr Pepper can will get you in REALLY cheap. Wednesdays used to be 3 cans of food for admittance. DO NOT GO ON THE DALLAS ISD DAY!!!

The Nasher is located at
2001 Flora St.
Dallas, TX 75201
214-242-5100
In the Dallas Arts District, between Olive and Harwood, one block south of Woodall Rodgers, adjacent to the DMA
It is an indoor and outside sculpture garden. It is AMAZING! The Nashers were the founders and still the owners of NorthPark Mall.
www.nashersculpturecenter.org

The DMA (Dallas Museum of Art)
http://dallasmuseumofart.org/Dallas_..._Art/index.htm
1717 North Harwood
Dallas, Texas 75201
For general information during regular Museum hours, call 214-922-1200.
To purchase tickets in advance or for general information, call 214-922-1803.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: