Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times

Advertisements

I think their cute as pie. They remind me of little Heckle and Jeckles. They seem to have a lot of personality. Is their dung really that toxic? Wow, that's weird. Never heard of such a thing. Kind of a bummer. I suppose you folks know. I hope you're wrong. I was really wanting to like those funky little birds. I was thinking they would make a nice substitute for my beloved crows that I miss (cuz the raptors in Boston killed them all).

http://blogs.sun.com/hinkmond/resour...and_Jeckle.png

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-06-2008 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Replaced image w/link -- copyrighted pics/material use links only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
Okay thanks OP for this post! I swear I was at Blockbuster one evening and saw all those birds and about freaked out. I thought it was a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's BIRDS. I have never seen anything like it. I try to look away or my skin will start to crawl. They were migrating all over the grassy area off of 635 at McArthur day before yesterday. It really freaks me out.

I just wonder will they go away the colder it gets? I have never wanted to see winter but I do now.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I think their cute as pie. They remind me of little Heckle and Jeckles. They seem to have a lot of personality. Is their dung really that toxic? Wow, that's weird. Never heard of such a thing. Kind of a bummer. I suppose you folks know. I hope you're wrong. I was really wanting to like those funky little birds. I was thinking they would make a nice substitute for my beloved crows that I miss (cuz the raptors in Boston killed them all).

http://blogs.sun.com/hinkmond/resour...and_Jeckle.png
Yes, it is THAT TOXIC! One of our employees ended up in the hospital for almost a month and it took forever for doctors to figure out what he had. He is now permanently on meds due to exposure and breathing in toxic bird poop. He was pretty darn near death by the time they finally figured out what he had. I wish I could remember the name of the exact term they gave him.

Bird poop can also be fatal to dogs. Never leave dog food outside. It attracts the birds. They come to eat it and poop all over the place including on the dogs food dish and on the food. If the poop is toxic and the dog ingests it they can get very sick and can die from it.

Here are some links:
http://www.nixalite.com/PDFs/birddroppings.pdf

Bird Droppings - What you Don't Know Can Hurt you
(The "Histoplasmosis" sounds familiar to what I can recall about the guy we know that got very sick and ther symptoms sound just like what he had/has)

Disease Listing: Histoplasmosis General Information | CDC DFBMD

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
That's it, we should kill all birds... (sarcasm due to the over dramatization of this issue)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
That's it, we should kill all birds... (sarcasm due to the over dramatization of this issue)
LOL!!! Well, I LOVE birds. Give me the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Hummingbirds, etc anyday. Just them nasty blackbirds are AWFUL!!! And annoying as h-e-l-l. With the other birds you get a few and they don't attract 100's to one spot and create a mess like the blackbirds/grackles do.

You can have a wonderful yard full of the "pretty" birds and one blackbird shows up and runs the others off. The other birds do not stay around where the blackbirds congregate.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMNY_2_TX View Post
HA! Yes! I know, I just thought, can't they fly even more South? LOL! Thanks for the article!

They're permanent to the entire US South, but you might just be in a "fly south for the winter" transition zone. They are definitely permanent in the Houston area, year round. I'd be willing to bet you'll see them year-round. FWIW, they have the exact same grackles in Jamaica.

Never heard about deadly poop though.

Blue Jays are at least as aggressive as the Grackles.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
My wife says my poop is deadly, too.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
I despise grackles. Ugly with a hideous noise. They usually start filtering into the DFW area in late September and by November they are in massive congregations of thousands. I don't know where they go all damn day though!!! I am looking out the panoramic view from my work computer and don't see a single one. But by 4:30 this afternoon they will be swarming in by the hundreds or thousands.

That is something I would like to know. Where do those things disappear to all day? And is there anyway to get them to stay there?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
shoot them with a bb gun.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:35 PM

50 posts, read 162,089 times
Are these the birds that sound kind of like an old-school camera flash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas