Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 43,162 times

Advertisements

So, I just moved to Addison from NYC and I freaked out this past weekend in the parking lot of a Super Walmart (First time ever in one of these! SO COOL) because it was flooded with these black birds that sounded like hyenas. It was pretty scary for a city girl like myself who has only seen pigeons but I was just curious as to why they congregate in such a huge number in one place? Also, what kind of birds are these? I asked a couple of people but they had no idea. I also noticed a ton of them over a gas station. Anyone know why this happens? Is it just a season or mating type of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
They come every year, and they love grocery store parking lots. Freaked me out my first year too. They're called grackles. Here's an article about them from 1996.

CNN - Grumpy Texans grapple for grackle solution - Mar. 27, 1996

Haven't you ever heard of birds flying south for the winter? You're south now!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 43,162 times
HA! Yes! I know, I just thought, can't they fly even more South? LOL! Thanks for the article!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
They are pretty cool to watch, but it does feel like your in the middle of a horror movie as they fly around in patterns. They are worse, it seems, at dusk.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
They are spunky little guys who do create a god awful racket at dusk. You'll see them all over the place. I suppose they could be called the Dallas version of city pigeon.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
These are some seriously cocky birds.

They're really, really dark blue, and they'll just watch you until you get to within a few feet, at times.

Being gone the last ten years, I'd forgotten how much I didn't like these critters. Dallas pigeons. That's the perfect description.

I'd forgotten how loud they are. Sheesh.

In downtown Austin, there is a park which appears to attract them. There are quite literally thousands of them. Enough so that it's a little disturbing.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
DO NOT FEED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These things are NASTY! Run them off if you can. The minute you see the first one run it off. If you let one come and hangout then his friends show up. They can destroy everything w/ their poop. And their poop is DEADLY! We know of one person that ended up in the hospital for a month with a serious lung problem becaue he cleaned up the poop dry. If they poop on anything wet it down and then clean it up. If it is dry the particles can be breathed in and get in your lungs and make you VERY SICK! The doctors told him that they see it more than you think.

Some cities actually use cannons and other things to keep them from roosting and causing problems. They are loud and obnoxious. They are not scared of the fake owls or rubber snakes either so don't waste your time w/ those tricks. Foil pans and aluminum pans can sometimes scare them off. Running out into your backyard clapping your hands does not faze them either. Best to just grab two pots or pans and bang them to run them off. Yes the neighbors may think your crazy but they will like you much better if you don't let them all come to roost in the area.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
We have a foreclosure in our neighborhood that is loaded with trees in the backyard. Those dam birds have crap all over that backyard. Who ever buys that house will have to powerwash the entire back half of that house. I hate Grackles with a passion. Sorry PETA folks but my pellet gun keeps them away from my place.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
I wonder if alkaseltzer does the trick with grackles like it does seagulls (or so I heard)...

Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
then you have dead grakles to deal with
nasty is right
at least you can eat pigeons if you are desparate--don't know anyone who would want to try a grackle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas