U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 40,784 times

Advertisements

Family with 2 G/T kids relocating to Plano area. Work will be near 121 and Dallas North Tollway. We are looking for any information on Spring Creek Academy in Plano. ??? (+ or-)

Also, We have checked into DeWitt Perry Middle School with the LEAP program in CFB ISD. Still waiting to hear back on some of our questions.

Our concern is...We don't want our kids to be just another body in a big public school with G/T (especially now, thru MS and HS) but we are not sure that private schools can accommodate our kids. (ie...in 7th grade in Fl our kids are in Algerbra I and Spanish I for HS credit) Any other recommendations out there ???

We don't mind 30 min or so commute, if need be. Finding the right fit for our kids in Middle and eventually High School is the most imortant factor. We want them to be challenged, not by hours of meaningless homework, and still have a good quality of life filled with extracurricular activities and family.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,288,767 times
Spring Creek Academy is where a lot of the professional kids go to school - the gymnasts (think Olympic gold medalist), the child actors, musicians, models, athletes - since it's only half day and they can spend the other half working at their talent/skill. I have always heard good things about it.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM

1,533 posts, read 6,894,318 times
You might check into what schools feeds into Plano East. Plano East has the IB program which sounds about on par with what your kids are in. Students start earning college credits in high school. The courses are often two or three grades ahead. Getting into IB requires being in Honors courses in middle school or attendance at academy/magnet for middle school.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 AM

2,974 posts, read 8,962,287 times
I know you are looking in Plano, but there is a great t/g school w/in DISD and despite all the problems w/o DISD, the school is strong.
It's Travis located in Uptown grades 4-8.
A friend's son is doing Alegebra 1 in 7th grade and his Spanish 1 sounds more like a Spanish 3 curriculm.

You have to apply in January for the incoming school year - check with the school for all the requirements and records from your previous school.

After Travis, the kids go to either the TAG High School, SEM (Science and Engineering) or Arts Magnet (Booker T).

Ohhh...but the commute to/from 121 and Tollway area would be dreadful.

Last edited by pepper131; 11-16-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into them as I do more research.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,340,464 times
Garland ISD has true G/T magnets. My oldest has been thru them and starts the IB program next year. I have LOVED it. The information meetings are coming up for the elementary schools and the high school magnet applications are due Nov. 21. I like that it is a TRUE magnet school and not just a class that is segregated by itself.

Garland Independent School District

Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM

"Garland ISD has true G/T magnets. My oldest has been thru them and starts the IB program next year. I have LOVED it. The information meetings are coming up for the elementary schools and the high school magnet applications are due Nov. 21. I like that it is a TRUE magnet school and not just a class that is segregated by itself. "

Can you tell me the name of G/T Magnets for Middle school and high school? Both kids are in MS right now, but I want to be informed ahead of time. Can you live in parts of Richardson to go to said schools?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csim View Post
"Garland ISD has true G/T magnets. My oldest has been thru them and starts the IB program next year. I have LOVED it. The information meetings are coming up for the elementary schools and the high school magnet applications are due Nov. 21. I like that it is a TRUE magnet school and not just a class that is segregated by itself. "

Can you tell me the name of G/T Magnets for Middle school and high school? Both kids are in MS right now, but I want to be informed ahead of time. Can you live in parts of Richardson to go to said schools?

Thanks for your help.
The G/T MS magnet is Austin Academy. The high school for the IB program is Garland HS. Sachse HS has the robotics team and a math team. North Garland HS is the math/science magnet but not many from Austin go onto NGHS.

My oldest can't wait to get to GHS. I LOVE that even though the kids are in the IB program they are still actively involved in the school. Most of them are in some other extra-curricular activity thru the school be it athletics, band, orchestra, cheer, drama, etc. Pretty much the same thing at Austin. The kids are VERY involved in the school. They are required to be in either band, choir, orchestra or theater. Most also participate in athletics.

I can not think of any part of Richardson that is in the GISD. There are parts of Garland that are in the Richardson ISD but not the other way. Along 190 Richardson and Garland are so intermingled that it really is not that much further for your commute. I had to be up in Plano at the Dallas North Tollway and Spring Creek Pkwy the other morning. In rush hour it took me 25 minutes. Once you hit DNT going North your going the opposite way of most traffic.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,517,792 times
Default Re:

I don't think Spring Creek Academy will fit your needs at all. Far North Dallas described it exactly.

Plano East (or any of the Plano schools) probably won't work for you either. They are HUGE and your child would be just another in a sea of G/T students. PISD actually *would* work with your kids to accelerate them in math and foreign language. They do provide some limited transportation between 6-8/9-10/11-12 schools to accomodate that on a case-by-case basis.

The CFBISD profoundly gifted thing sounds as if it's your best bet, and Carrollton isn't too far from your work location. The tough nut to crack is getting your kids admitted to the LEAP program before committing to buy in CFB ISD. Frankly, the rest of that district isn't all that and a bag of chips, so you wouldn't want to be stuck there if your kids can't gain admission.

Surprisingly, many of the private schools in DFW aren't particularly receptive to advancing kids beyond grade level. They take the tack that "all our kids are smart".

Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
The CFBISD profoundly gifted thing sounds as if it's your best bet, and Carrollton isn't too far from your work location. The tough nut to crack is getting your kids admitted to the LEAP program before committing to buy in CFB ISD. Frankly, the rest of that district isn't all that and a bag of chips, so you wouldn't want to be stuck there if your kids can't gain admission.

Surprisingly, many of the private schools in DFW aren't particularly receptive to advancing kids beyond grade level. They take the tack that "all our kids are smart".
The thing there is they WOULD BE the segregated class seperate from the rest of the school w/ the LEAP program. A TRUE G/T magnet has the kids fully integrated into the school. That is why I LOVE the magnets in the GISD. The kids are not "the weird ones" that are "different" from the rest of the student body.

My oldest THOUGHT she wanted to go to private school for high school. There are VERY FEW private schools that I would even entertain considering based on the fact she is qualified for the IB program right here in our own district. She would not get any better of an education at them and it would cost me a tremendous amount of money. She woke up and realized that would waste precious dollars we would spend on her college education and other life experiences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>