Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

The managed lanes on the inside? Where the HOV lanes are now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The managed lanes on the inside? Where the HOV lanes are now?
Yes. It'll basically be a redo of what they have now. They'll phase things in section by section. The entire freeway plan will be wider. From the looks of things, the HOV concept, as it were, will be redefined just a bit. Plus, the project is expected to be constructed quicker than before. Just not too quick.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Correct me someone if I am wrong, but I believe that the toll autority and the state can only make state roads toll roads. The powers that be here in TX do not have the authority to toll US highways or Interstate highways. Or that is what I read in the past when the debate to toll 121 was going on.

Maybe since only part of 35 will be tolled and some lanes free is a way around this. It doesn't irk me so much that the tolls are there to get the highways built more quickly, but that the moneys are going to fund roads in other areas. Since I don't have many options but to use 121 and the Dallas Tollway, this form of Robin Hood redistribution irks me. So what if some of my Collin County neighbors are wealthy. I'm just scraping by.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Right, Saintmarks? I know what you mean. As it is, it costs me at least $10 in gas and tolls to drive back and forth from work. When gas prices were in the $4 range, it was closer to $20.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Right, Saintmarks? I know what you mean. As it is, it costs me at least $10 in gas and tolls to drive back and forth from work. When gas prices were in the $4 range, it was closer to $20.
The ironic thing is that the gas tax does the same friggin thing the highway "leasing" does and it does it for pennies on the dollar in comparison. If legislators would be honest and candid about for-profit toll roads people would realize they're getting screwed.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 AM

251 posts, read 1,531,974 times
I wonder is this the 'six football field wide highway'that you guys are talking about?
I remember a few months back they were in talks of starting construction on it.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
I wonder is this the 'six football field wide highway'that you guys are talking about?
I remember a few months back they were in talks of starting construction on it.
No. That'd be the Trans-Texas Cashregister. The private for-profit toll road system that will eventually be part of the moronic NAFTA Superhighway - a road that will insidiously be used to put American truck drivers and stevedores out of work.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 AM

134 posts, read 516,785 times
Is it sad that I actually miss Dallas traffic? NOBODY out here on Oahu knows how to drive! I'm going 70 down the interstate because, you know...if you don't in Dallas, you'll pretty much be run over, and here I'm just flying by people who are going 50. And if you dare to honk at anyone, even if it's just to let them know the light turned green while they're busy texting someone- they get so mad. And rush hour out here makes 635 look like NASCAR. Someone go 80 down the Tollway and tell me about it!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
I suggest counties re-zone for more businesses, apartments and condos in the outlying areas. That way there can be more high rise business building so companies don't have to go to city centers to do business. And the apartments and condos will allow people to re-locate closer to their work.

Add in some large parks and company picnics will be better than ever.

I can just see Flower Mound, Plano, Frisco, et al, becoming the slums those residents ran from in the inner cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas