Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,643 times

Advertisements

We have family in NOVA (Fredericksburg) that moved there from TX and MS within the past two years so we are familiar with the current prices, lifestyle there. I think you'll be amazed at how much more you can get for your money here. And since you are probably accustomed to trees,etc, the residential areas nearer downtown will probably feel more comforable to you than the farflung burbs.

Dallas should be a good area for your nanny business. Hope things work out well for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,551 times
Is there any info in that area about schools? My kids have always gone to public school, but would consider private also.

What would the commute time be into Downtown from Lake Highlands?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 AM

170 posts, read 369,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Where is "here"? You don't need to spend $600k to get a "medium to large" home as you put it. Our prices are probably much lower than what you're used to. Keep in mind, just because you might want to do $600k for $600k, our taxes might be much different than what you're used to so your mortgage payments might be hundreds more a month than where you currently are.
I am also in the Nova area and have been researching moving to DFW and found that a 600k house there is twice what 600k will buy here! Plus, property taxes and some utilities are higher in DFW so look at closer to 350-400k houses and go from there. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,797 times
We moved to the Dallas area from NOVA last June. Located in north Plano because of the housing quality and commuting options to downtown Dallas. The housing in north Plano, Frisco, Allen and McKinney are similar to western Fairfax - eastern Louden counties. The public schools are also of high quality. Commuting options are the Dallas tollroad, US75, and DART rail. If he is going to drive, the tollroad is an easer commute than 75. If his office downtown is anywhere near one of the downtown DART stations, and he would consider rail transit - look at housing in Allen or McKinney. The Parker road station is the end-of-the-line and has sufficient parking. DART is clean, fast and as reliable as METRO rail.
Housing costs are 1/2 here, but the property tax is $2.50 per $100 compared to NOVA's $0.85 per $100. Electricity is 1/3 more expensive @ $0.17/kwh. $400 to $600 summer bills are not unusual. Don't forget to turn in your EZpass before you leave VA, as is won't work here. As soon as you get here, get TollTags - you'll get about a 20% discount and the toll roads are everywhere! They also work for parking at DFW & Love.
Lastly, you have to make four trips to get your tags and drivers licenses. 1. Get the vehicles inspected - as in VA these are performed at repair shops. 2. Go to your insurance agent and get a Texas proof of insurance printout. 3. Take your inspection paperwork proof of insurance and CASH - no checks or credit cards to the county tag office. You have to pay a $90 out-of-state fee in addition to the tag - should be less than $200 per vehicle. 4. Take your temporary title, Texas proof of insurance, VA driver's license, and proof of citizenship or permanent residency to the local Department of Public Safety drivers license office. They will confiscate your VA drivers license & give you a temp TX license with no picture ID. An in-state check will be accepted for payment. You will receive your regular license in the mail in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam P. View Post
My husband is possibly being transferred to Dallas, we have to make a decision within the next week or two if he will take the job. I have never been to Dallas, I will probably be visiting before we make the decision. I have so many questions, there isn't enough room here for all of them, but some of my main topics are: schools for my kids (ages 9 and 6), nice suburbs to live (we can probably afford a medium to large house in a nice area), commute time for hubby (he will be located on McKinney Rd in downtown), and the need for a nanny referral business there.
I would look into Plano, Frisco, or Allen. All 3 have excellent schools and very nice houses. And A LOT of them! Commute to Downtown from Frisco would be about 35-40 minutes via the DNT. It would take about 25-30 minutes from Plano and 40-45 minutes from Allen. All 3 commutes can take longer if there is bad weather or a really bad accident. As far as nannies go, I know a lot of people that have them and we actually have one. Most of my friends in the Park Cities area (Highland Park, University Park) have nannies, so there is probably more of a need in that area.

We just moved to Frisco and love it! There is a ton of nice house, shopping, and dining here. Plus, it is very family-oriented. I commute to downtown Dallas and it takes me about 35-40 minutes, so it is not that bad.

I suggest that you come visit the Dallas area and see which areas you like before deciding on a house.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.TX View Post
Lastly, you have to make four trips to get your tags and drivers licenses. 1. Get the vehicles inspected - as in VA these are performed at repair shops. 2. Go to your insurance agent and get a Texas proof of insurance printout. 3. Take your inspection paperwork proof of insurance and CASH - no checks or credit cards to the county tag office. You have to pay a $90 out-of-state fee in addition to the tag - should be less than $200 per vehicle. 4. Take your temporary title, Texas proof of insurance, VA driver's license, and proof of citizenship or permanent residency to the local Department of Public Safety drivers license office. They will confiscate your VA drivers license & give you a temp TX license with no picture ID. An in-state check will be accepted for payment. You will receive your regular license in the mail in about 1 1/2 weeks.
Great informative post, Jim!

Just one switch needed in the steps you described between #1 and #2.

You'll need your proof of insurance BEFORE getting your vehicle inspected as this will be checked before they will inspect your vehicle. It is needed for all three -- to get an inspection, tags and driver's license.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,797 times
One last thing, after you get your TX tags, download the refund form from the VA DMV site. Fill out the form, mail the form and tags back to VA DMV & you will get a refund for any remaining time over 6 mo.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 14,700 times
Lake Highlands is a nice area as far as schools, families and nice older homes that keep their value. The only problem is the surrounding areas. If you go to far in any direction, you end up in some shady areas. Liquor stores, old run down businesses, and low income apartment galore. Lake Highlands has zero shopping, but is 15 minutes away from North Park mall which is the best. Lake Highlands is a hidden pocket near White Rock Lake which makes it a good area. Lakewood is also very nice. Homes there range from the 300 to 2 million dollars. It has excellent private and elementary school near by and nice little shopping areas. It is right by the lake, surrounded by trees, and has a nice artsy feel about it. Lakewood is full of professionals both young and older. A lot of established families as well. This community is all about the schools and their churches. Many of the homes in this area are old charmers with lots of character, Austin stone, hardwood floors, and are built very well. I am sorry I went of on all that, but I thought I would give you an idea. Our neighbors just sold their home for 365 in Lakewood and it was an awesome house. You really get what you pay for in Dallas. And the best part is that they both worked downtown which made their commute a 12 minute commute to and from work.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:32 AM

14 posts, read 34,254 times
Default try the southlake area.....many homes in that price range there

the area has great schools and alot of shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas