Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times

Advertisements

BTW, when will the construction of 114/121 be completed and how will this affect overall commute out of Southlake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
btw, when will the construction of 114/121 be completed and how will this affect overall commute out of southlake?
End of 2013

Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Seriously you do not want to live in Southlake and commute to McKinney. ESP. with the construction, they close the entire freeway down periodically between 8pm and 6am, I live in Keller and I took me an hour to get home from DFW last time they did this.
(also not to be "snarky" but there is NO Ft Worth "side" of Keller, there is Keller and there is Ft Worth 2 separate cities)

Why not just live (rent) in McKinney? no commute, you can get to know all the surrounding areas and then decide from there what your ideal area is.

I am confused though by your choices of Park Cites, McKinney, Frisco and Southlake. Park Cities is wayyy more $$$ than any of those and in a league of it's own.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,283 times
Default Commute from Downtown Dallas to Plano?

Hello All,

I am moving soon but am having trouble deciding exactly what area would be best.

I will be working in Plano but I want to live in the Downtown Dallas area. My concern is the commute. I’m assuming since I will be going away from most traffic then maybe the commute won’t be that bad. Opinions? Advice?

I’d love suggestions of areas I could live that would keep me at least near downtown and keep my commute to Plano to about 20 minutes (asking for a lot, I know). I’ve been referred to west Plano and Addison as options.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM

343 posts, read 805,270 times
If you are okay with taking the Tollway (it will cost money for your commute) you will generally have a fairly quick commute. 20 minutes MIGHT be pushing it but if you are accident free and going quick it is a VERY manageable commute. However an accident or heavy traffic would back things up but you are certainly going in the opposite direction of traffic.

However a lot depends where your job is in Plano. Plano stretches between the Tollway and the 75 or "Central Expressway." Taking central would mean a slower commute with more traffic because it is free.

If you do want to live in downtown (or nearby Uptown) I would say go for it! It is a fun and exciting place as far as Dallas goes. In my opinion a LOT more fun than Addison (though that would be much closer). The commute is totally do-able against traffic but I would say expect 1/2 hour if not a little more

Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
Due to traffic or weather, sometimes it may take over twenty minutes to get from one side of plano
to the other much less downtown Dallas. But in any case 20 minutes would IMO put you around
HWY75/635 or somewhere by the North Dallas tollway/635. Good Luck

Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Where is the job in Plano? East (75 side) or West (Tollroad side)? What cross street? If your job is in west Plano and not much north of Bush turnpike (190), you can make it from Uptown to Plano in about 18-20 minutes MOST days. On the days with wrecks, it's 40-60 minutes. Wrecks are less common against traffic than with it, but you'll still have a handful to sit through each month. Look in Uptown/Oak Lawn and try to stay as close to the Tollroad as you can (look in the newer apartments by Victory Park or not much further east of the Katy Trail).

If your job is west side but closer to 121 (north Plano), forget 20 minutes. It's 30-35 door to desk. Did that drive for 5 years & can promise you!! Again, try to stay on the western side of uptown.

Tollroad round trip is about $4/day to Bush and $6/day to 121.

If you work on the east side, Central/75 drives slower than the Tollroad. I'd look in the Village apartments off 75 & Lovers/Southwestern to keep a Plano commute in the 20 minute range. Again, wrecks can be brutal. But no tolls. The Village is about a 7 minute cab ride into Uptowj for nightlife, not too shabby. But a commute from the heart of Uptown to Plano east side is 30-40 min.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 11-21-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM

333 posts, read 1,021,883 times
I live in Plano, and commuted downtown for 2 yrs for work, mostly using 75. If you are leaving before 6 am and after 7:30 pm, the timing is 20ish minutes. If you are fighting rush hour, you are SCREWED and it doesnt matter if you are on the tollway or 75. I quit using the tollway bc I found the drivers more aggressive and rude. I generally drive about 10 mph over speed limit if weather conditions are ok, and I was tired of people cutting me off, honking etc. as if I was driving Granny speed.

Oh, and after 2 yrs, I had enough of the commute, and mileage on my car (43 miles a day adds up) and found a job a couple miles from where I live.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
I live in Plano, and commuted downtown for 2 yrs for work, mostly using 75. If you are leaving before 6 am and after 7:30 pm, the timing is 20ish minutes. If you are fighting rush hour, you are SCREWED and it doesnt matter if you are on the tollway or 75. I quit using the tollway bc I found the drivers more aggressive and rude. I generally drive about 10 mph over speed limit if weather conditions are ok, and I was tired of people cutting me off, honking etc. as if I was driving Granny speed.

Oh, and after 2 yrs, I had enough of the commute, and mileage on my car (43 miles a day adds up) and found a job a couple miles from where I live.
You mist have misread the OP. He wants to do the REVERSE of the commute you did- FROM downtown TO Plano. Big difference.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post

Not to mention spending about $100 a month in tolls, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas