Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Southlake isn't a bad 1st or second choice, especially if it makes a commute easier. But if you're the type to be driving from Southlake to Dallas all the time, you're better off just dealing with the commute.
I'm working 15 or so shifts at F. Mound so an easy commute back-forth would be a plus. I would probably head to the city a handful of times a month, but I think it would be safe that I'm going to have to make a commute to work more than I would to the city for fun.

I just thought that a place in Park Cities would be just prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:53 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
what made you move out there when you are working at DFW?
surely you considered the tolls you might have to pay for that commute before you moved?
My thoughts exactly...

Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 AM

307 posts, read 477,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I'm working 15 or so shifts at F. Mound so an easy commute back-forth would be a plus. I would probably head to the city a handful of times a month, but I think it would be safe that I'm going to have to make a commute to work more than I would to the city for fun.

I just thought that a place in Park Cities would be just prime.
It would be. Is there no chance of re-aligning your job next year to north dallas? Then you could live with the commute for a year and live where you want to live.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
The quality of your life NOW is much more important than projected real estate ROI. Why not rent something that is a better commute for you? Good schools are abundant within a reasonable commuting range of your work. So the question is if you need to be in an urban enclave or can find happiness in suburbia.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
When Tollway is backed up, Hubby sometimes takes Midway from 121 up to 635...says it's usually much better than Preston.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
I live in Lakewood with friends in Flower Mound. it takes us just over an hour with weekend traffic. Take off the 1o minutes or so it takes me to get out of my neighborhood, add daytime traffic and that would still be a pretty serious commute. That said, a neighbor works medical shift work (she is a radiologist) and travels to all kinds of far-away places - Frisco, Allen, McKinney. I think she works about the same number of days as you and she says it is worth it so she can be "home" when she is off. I guess that is a decision only you can make.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:10 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
What's more important to you: living in the Park Cities or having more time at home with your family? Personally, I wouldn't want to spend that much time in the car, and it's not like FM or Southlake are in the ghetto. Both are really nice places to live with good schools and I bet you and your family would be happy in either one.

FM is notorious for having poor access to the outside world. The THR in FM is on a main street, but there is a lot of traffic on it and just getting to the hospital will be a commute in itself. Nice hospital, BTW.

Quote:
Maybe you guys are right, perhaps it's better to live near my full time gig at Flower Mound. Probably in Southlake or Colleyville then.

UP might just be a pipe dream.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
So it looks like I am working full time at Texas Health Flower Mound (15 shifts a month) and part time at Baylor McKinney (2-3 extra shifts month).

I was reading the numerous threads regarding the Park Cities over the past few days and have a few questions.

I understand they have great schools - and there have been mention of the robust-ness of resale value and appreciation of real estate in the Park Cities.

Questions:

1. What would you say is the "projected" conservative appreciation of house values in University Park over 10, 20, 30 years? Compare that to a house in Flower Mound, Colleyville, Southlake, Keller. I know this is purely speculation and no one has a crystal ball - but use historical figures and educated guesstimates to help me out.

2. Provided all the pluses of living in UP - what would you say is a limit for work commute? Going to TH Flower Mound appears to be 30 miles and it's the same for Baylor McKinney. McKinney is a straight shot on 75 and google says it's about 30 minutes if the road is clear. Flower Mound is approx 45 minutes on a clear day it says.

3. Lastly, how would living in Preston Hollow be compared to living in UP? Is there a really big difference in school quality, taxes, etc? The homes are significantly cheaper.
1. UP will dwarf the others. Simple case of UP is worth more today, and will be worth more ceteris peribus 30 yrs. from now.

2. McKinney from UP is about 20-25 minutes if you go all the way to 380 on a clear day. During middle of day during week I can go from 635/75 to 380 in about 25 minutes. During rush hour(5:45pm leave) it's 50-60 minutes.

3. Vastly different. Yes. Depends upon perspective, but at that price point what is really significant? I like UP, but Preston Hollow is nice as well, but will agree w/ other poster who said it's more of a collection of fiefdom's.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM

41 posts, read 214,214 times
I was already living in north Frisco before I got the job. I couldn't find a house that met my requirements for my budget in other areas. I only moved a few more miles north, but the tolls seem another 40 a month just for that. Anyway, I tried taking the DNT side road to 121, 121 to 35, then 35 to George Bush. Time was 50 minutes, but not sure how much it will save in tolls. Getting to 121 was the longest part I think. Also I think that stopngo on DNT with some break slams is harder on the car.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
1. UP will dwarf the others. Simple case of UP is worth more today, and will be worth more ceteris peribus 30 yrs. from now.
For the sake of argument - what would happen to a 1.3million investment in UP in 30 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas