Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times

Advertisements

If the job is too good to pass up, take it and slug through the commute until the end of the school year- BUT PLAN TO MOVE TO FW. This is not a commute you could do long-term. I can't imagine working 1.5-2 hours away from my elementary aged child, just in case of sickness or emergency. I also can't imagine loading $500 for gas and putting 2k miles on my car every month, plus tolls!! And, I also can't imagine being away from home 3/nights a week in a hotel. You definitely need to be sure you and your spouse (or kid's guardian/ nanny/ etv) is on board with that plan b/c that person will basically be a single parent during the work week with no "end" in sight. Yuck!!

Put your house on the market in March / April and hope to sell by mid summer. That seems realistic based on the Allen DOM right now. this is assuming you can sell based on when you purchased, how much you owe, and what your market value is. If you can't sell, pass on the job.

There are plenty of great schools and neighbiporhoods in FW and it's surrounding suburbs. Young kids are resilient- they make friends quickly and can roll with it better than us adults! Plus, you can still drive her back to Allen to see old friends every few months.

You just need to figure out if the opportunity is worth a physical move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:11 AM

90 posts, read 181,623 times
Default Frisco commute to garland.

Hi there, contemplating frisco and will be working in garland, what's the commute like?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM

690 posts, read 1,722,532 times
With the construction on 635 which will happening the next few years. This will affect
your commute, you may be stuck on using the Dallas north tollway to the George Bush tollway and get over to Garland to work. This could become quite costly to and from work.
Depending on traffic, I would approx. a 40 minute drive. The other commute would take 121 to 75 southbound through Allen and Plano to the George Bush Tollway. The traffic coming through Plano may slow you down a bit. I would not know a commute time for this one.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:03 PM

56 posts, read 91,845 times
Irving, Addison and Plano are all very different. There are also areas much closer to downtown you could consider. Could you expound on what type of home you are seeking?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM

67 posts, read 106,411 times
If you work in Garland than look into Murphy, Parker or East Richardson. Those are nice areas with PISD schools, bigger lots, newer homes, short commute and prices are comparable or better than Frisco.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 PM

393 posts, read 1,110,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
With the construction on 635 which will happening the next few years. This will affect
your commute, you may be stuck on using the Dallas north tollway to the George Bush tollway and get over to Garland to work. This could become quite costly to and from work.
Depending on traffic, I would approx. a 40 minute drive. The other commute would take 121 to 75 southbound through Allen and Plano to the George Bush Tollway. The traffic coming through Plano may slow you down a bit. I would not know a commute time for this one.
About the same, especially once variables of traffic are included.

I live in East Plano, a few miles from the Garland City Limit, and I sometimes have to commute to Frisco. Garland is a big town, so I don't know how close I might be to where the OP would be going, but most businesses in Garland seem to be within 9 miles of me.

To the OP:
There are many routes for your destinations, and I've probably traveled the most practical of them. In rush hour, figure on 45 minutes, plus/minus 10 minutes.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:08 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,677,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepforgettingpw View Post
If you work in Garland than look into Murphy, Parker or East Richardson. Those are nice areas with PISD schools, bigger lots, newer homes, short commute and prices are comparable or better than Frisco.
I agree. There's no reason to live in Frisco and commute to Garland when there aree lots of nice places to live that are closer, and most of them have better schools than Frisco.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,667,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I agree. There's no reason to live in Frisco and commute to Garland when there aree lots of nice places to live that are closer, and most of them have better schools than Frisco.

I can not think of any area close to Garland that has better public schools than Frisco...

That being said ,there are areas that would make the commute alot easier that would be fine by most peoples standards.Rockwall would be my number 1 suggestion...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-11-2012 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,199,878 times
I just recently (December) sold a home to a client in Village Lakes just north of Lebanon & Teel in Frisco and she works at 635/Plano Rd. Despite showing her places a lot closer, she says that she doesn't regret her decision. Her commute is about 45 minutes but she loves her neighborhood and home.

Take into consideration the toll fees too.

Naima

Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,387,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

I can not think of any area close to Garland that has better public schools than Frisco...

That being said ,there are areas that would make the commute alot easier that would be fine by most peoples standards.Rockwall would be my number 1 suggestion...

Really crew? Murphy has its own schools all the way through 10th grade, and those schools are some of the best in Plano ISD, and would easily rival or better anything Frisco has to offer.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-11-2012 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas