Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 61,774 times

Advertisements

We have been researching relocating from Nebraska to the Dallas/Fort Worth area for the past several months. We are looking for a small town feel with moderate houses, tree-lined streets, parks and schools in every neighborhood, etc. The kind of neighborhood that has block parties and you know most, if not all, of your neighbors by their first names. There are always kids playing in the street, and any one parent can discipline other kids, etc.

We currently live in a planned community, but DO NOT like it at all. Too strict HOA rules, no true parks, and our schools definitely leave something to be desired. Way too structured of an environment.

Both of us are college educated so we are not too concerned with finding jobs, but the lifestyle for our new son is priority #1. Both of us grew up in small towns, population 6,000, maybe we are looking for this type of environment again. But with access to more museums, sports teams, outdoor recreation (camping, boating, fishing, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
How close are you wanting to be to either Dallas or Ft Worth? If you can live in a small town that has grown slowly but still has retained a lot of it's small town feel and not overy developed and no large master planned communities then I'd suggest Decatur in Wise County. It is about an hour from Ft Worth, about 30 min. from Denton and about an hour and a half from Dallas (the city not the suburbs of Dallas). Lots of homes on acreage available and one of the most beautiful courthouses in Texas (I'm partial though ). The terrain has some rolling hills and lots of history. If you get too much closer to either Dallas or Ft Worth you are going to run into large master planned communities and cities/towns that are growing MUCH faster.

Then if you want on the eastern side of Dallas I'd recommend the McClendon-Chisholm area between Rockwall and Terrell (under Rockwall on realtor.com) and even Terrell. You would be about an hour from Dallas. Rockwall is growing and has the more master planned communities but out of the city limits you will find areas that are not and some that are, most are not. Terrell is a city in itself that has seen some growth but again not like other areas. Beautiful old victorian homes line the streets in the heart of town.

These places all have a hospital (small), good schools and some industry if you are in those fields. So you might be able to find a job w/in these cities and not have to commute to the big city.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
Let me add to some of the terrific ideas that Mom offers up.
These two areas ARE masterplanned communities (Providence and Savannah) and are very popular with young families because of the amenities and home prices...both are from the same developers too so they're similar in some aspects. They're located in the northern metro area halfway between McKinney and Denton closer to Frisco/Little Elm/Dallas North Tollway extension off Hwy 380. There are many activities for children as well as new on-site elementary schools for each neighborhood and a new middle school located nearby.

http://www.providencetexas.com/

http://www.savannahtexas.com/

Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 61,774 times
Excellent information already, thanks!! I am trying to convince my wife that we can do without our high paying jobs and live in a smaller community, that way we can 'live' more, and not be slaves to our workplaces.

We are both near $100k/yr, which is great for Nebraska. Am I correct in assuming we'd have to be closer to the city to get that type of salary? Or be willing to commute I guess.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
If you're not happy with your strict HOA's, you probably won't like Savannah or Providence. Not to mention, I don't recall seeing any established trees.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
What about Granbury? Might be a little too far from the big city action tho, and not sure what type of work you do. Would be a long commute but otherwise might fit the bill.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaNative View Post
Excellent information already, thanks!! I am trying to convince my wife that we can do without our high paying jobs and live in a smaller community, that way we can 'live' more, and not be slaves to our workplaces.

We are both near $100k/yr, which is great for Nebraska. Am I correct in assuming we'd have to be closer to the city to get that type of salary? Or be willing to commute I guess.
Depends on what field you are in. The cities/towns I mentioned are all home to a few industries or close to some. If you were in Wise County w/ close access to Denton and are in the higher education field then you would be close to two universities (University of North Texas and Texas Womans University). Rockwall has a nice tech park out on Interstate 30 w/ a few large companies. Commuting from the east side of Dallas to eastern Dallas or Garland (home to MANY large companies) would be pretty decent. Then you have the city or towns that have jobs, school districts, hospitals, etc.

BTW, I have some good friends that are from Nebraska and one of the houses that recently sold in our neighborhood the new folks have Nebraska tags. Also, visit Mama's Pizza in Plano, must be HUGE cornhusker fans as the place is decked out.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
Here are few north of me, Anna, Melissa, Princeton and Van Alstyne.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
How close are you wanting to be to either Dallas or Ft Worth? If you can live in a small town that has grown slowly but still has retained a lot of it's small town feel and not overy developed and no large master planned communities then I'd suggest Decatur in Wise County. It is about an hour from Ft Worth, about 30 min. from Denton and about an hour and a half from Dallas (the city not the suburbs of Dallas). Lots of homes on acreage available and one of the most beautiful courthouses in Texas (I'm partial though ). The terrain has some rolling hills and lots of history. If you get too much closer to either Dallas or Ft Worth you are going to run into large master planned communities and cities/towns that are growing MUCH faster.

Then if you want on the eastern side of Dallas I'd recommend the McClendon-Chisholm area between Rockwall and Terrell (under Rockwall on realtor.com) and even Terrell. You would be about an hour from Dallas. Rockwall is growing and has the more master planned communities but out of the city limits you will find areas that are not and some that are, most are not. Terrell is a city in itself that has seen some growth but again not like other areas. Beautiful old victorian homes line the streets in the heart of town.

These places all have a hospital (small), good schools and some industry if you are in those fields. So you might be able to find a job w/in these cities and not have to commute to the big city.
Decatur is not an hour from Fort Worth. It is only about 30 minutes from Fort Worth and 25 minutes from Denton, and it is only about 45 minutes from Dallas.It is considered in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Decatur has developed a large master plan and the city is growing at a fast rate.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan22 View Post
Decatur is not an hour from Fort Worth. It is only about 30 minutes from Fort Worth and 25 minutes from Denton, and it is only about 45 minutes from Dallas.It is considered in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Decatur has developed a large master plan and the city is growing at a fast rate.
-----------------------------
I think you have your facts messed up when you were talking about Decatur,Texas.Decatur is only 30 minutes from Fort Worth,25 minutes from Denton, and 45 minutes from Dallas. Decatur is considered in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Decatur has a large master plan in place and the city is growing at a very fast rate. All you have to do is drive down 287 from Decatur and you can tell that even more growth is coming and that it will eventually be all city from Decatur to Fort Worth. Decatur is the next Frisco. Both Decatur and Frisco were small towns a long time ago, but now are exploding with growth.Get your facts straight next time.

If you can get to Dallas or Ft Worth that fast from Decatur then your one of those gravel haulers. Honey, I DO KNOW Decatur. VERY WELL!!! From the city limits of Decatur to downtown Dallas is over 60 miles and there is NO WAY one can make it 45 minutes. While it is doable to get to FTW from Decatur in 30 minutes that is NOT during rush hour. Yes, Decatur is growing (thanks to the mayor ) but it still will NOT be the "next Frisco" as you so proclaimed in your pm. Maybe YOU need to get to know Decatur a bit better. While there are several new developments going in there is NOTHING that would make it comparable to Frisco (THANK GOD!). The majority of the new homes are either in small scale subdivisions or on acreage lots - nothing that compares to any of the new subdivisions of Frisco. Yes, I'm VERY aware that from Decatur to Ft Worth is growing and will someday blend all in but as one travels farther away from FTW the homes and developments are not on top of each other like is found in most suburbs in the D/FW area. The OP was looking for something close to Dallas that had a small town feel (even a recent study backs my comments of Decatur and Wise County being a great place to live IN a "RURAL AREA" - http://www.wcmessenger.com/news/business/EEpAZZllpkmUyZopLQ.php (broken link)

There is NOTHING that I have stated about the town that is false or misleading.

You can subscribe to the Wise County Messanger to keep up to date of what's going on up there if ya like. I'm upset that I'm going to miss an upcoming gathering at one of the local cemetery's (one of the ones that has many of my ancestors in it, bummer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas