Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:05 AM

434 posts, read 1,736,690 times

Advertisements

I used to live in northwest Tarrant county and that is a really nice area while still near the airport. (Kind of expensive but the very best school districts) I also LOVED the realtor I used. He helped me a lot and really listened to MY criteria and gave me a lot of good advice. His name is Trey Trenholm with Trenholm realty. I don't have the number anymore but I'm sure you can find it online.

As far as the bugs.. there are quite a few everywhere in that area especially in the spring but if you call an exterminator and sign up for regular service...that helps a lot.

I think the political issue can be dealt with using a sense of humor. People will probably assume you are a Republican unless you tell them otherwise. If you want to make your politics known, do it with a sense of humor. We had a neighbor, who was a Democrat, who became good friends with my husband. My husband was astute enough to notice when they moved they had a NY plate on the car so the conversation started with "So you're a Yankee huh?" To which the neighbor replied "And you must be that dumb redneck everyone has been warning me about?" And they played golf together every weekend until we moved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
the bugs you don't see are the ones to worry about--there are termintes fairly active in this area, bad summer so far because of rain for mosquitos and DFW has had cases of West Nile in past years===we have large bugs from outside called Palmetto bugs or yard roaches---spiders like Brown Recluse can be in areas like homes, garages, yards...
so bugs do exist and flourish in TX--

there are good public and private schools--pocketbook plays a part in where you can go to get those..
I agree with FARNORTH DALLAS about schools pretty much

N. Richland Hills is an easy commute to DFW--maybe 25-35 min depending on where you start and time of day--schools can be Birdville ISD or Keller depending on subdivision--lots of new construction off Bursey Rd and Shady Grove--houses in 400-500 range w/smaller lots--small custom/tract builders...only time will tell if the new subdivisions hold their property values--but mortgage money is tightening up so should weed out most people w/o a real viable ability to sustain a home buy...
Keller is also having lots of growth but most of it is across 377 into FTW area--not what I would recommend--lots of foreclosures in Wood Springs and Park Glen area...
Northwest will be upcoming school district I think because of all construction and high dollar construction in Westlake, Haslet, north FTW area--
Some people like Argyle and Denton--which is ok for occassional drive into DFW airport---if you only need occasional commute to DFW airport--you have more flexibility ---
You might consider Aledo or Azle -- there are some nice developments out that way but don't think the schools are on par with Southlake or Colleyville or even HEB and the better Keller ones...

Carroll ISD used to be top notch but think it is slipping--Lewisville still has positive word of mouth but I have seen lots of bad behavior on parts of their sports teams and parents when my daughter's teams played theirs---so I am not a fan of the district because of attitude of students...

Might have recommended Mansfield area a couple of months ago--but that area seeing hugh jump in foreclosure rates even in medium to higher priced housing--think that will hurt market for while -- shows instability in neighborhoods/employment situations although there is hugh amount of commercial/retail growth going on between Mansfield and Burleson...

Think you have to really want to buy in Arlington to make it a viable choice--there is some nice retail around Lincoln Sq and Parks Mall but having the new cowboy stadium is not enough to make me buy there--schools are overwhelmed by all the low income and minority students who are living in area frankly--my daughter taught at elementary school in far s of AISD by Grand Prairie--it was a good school--they did a great job teaching the kids who came to them but the area was losing property values and homes were becoming rent houses...not where most people would want to move...there are good pockets of housing in ARL with some lovely older homes and trees but you have to be careful and I would worry about resale/property values...

S of Arlington--around Joe Pool Lake--you run into problem of bad air quality--it is a pretty easy drive up 360 to the airport and there are some nice developments out that way with larger lots --- but you are also in a drift pattern for cement plants and other bad stuff coming in from the Ennis area...

Last edited by loves2read; 06-10-2007 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,543 times
How good is the Grapevine- Colleyville IDS?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 27,088 times
How wonderful- we are looking to relocate to near Pittsburgh Pa ( i just posted today) and I am looking for TONS of advice . We live in Euless Tx -it is about 5 minutes from the airport- we have a great charter school ( its a mix of private/ public school- no tuition but parental volunteering is required) [i] am not crazy about the middle schools but elementary & HS are first rate. We have an older home (about 1960) on about .4 acre with an inground pool about 1600 sf (and a storage bldg) which will market at about 120k with no major issues ( except interior cosmetic- 5 kids are not conducive to elegant living!!!) So it is inexpensive very convenient ( less than 20 minutes from DT Dallas and DT fort worth ) about 50000 people. Now your turn- where on earth within 40mi of pittsburgh ( we have to be within an hour of a hospital with pediatric oncology- our middle child has leukemia) we just need an inexpensive decent area to raise our family . I would really appreciate your help - oh as to politics - i am an independent so i dont fit in anywhere!
MaY God Lovingly Bless!
the Murphy Pride
www.caringbrifge.org/visit/echomurphy (broken link)

Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM

25 posts, read 86,495 times
Default possible solution

Bridlewood in Flower Mound. There are FSBO that make it more affordable. The schools are very good. It is a really good area. My neighbor next door in Saddle Oaks division is a pilot flying out of DFW. Very commutable.
Wellington in Flower Mound is also another possibility. Flower Mound is booming. Good luck

Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM

15 posts, read 28,358 times
Default Also from PA

I moved here from NW PA back in 2004. My wife and I just bought our first home in North Richland Hills. It is one of the 12 Cities that make up the NE part of Tarrant County. We are in a very nice neighborhood, and it's not that far from Downtown FW and DFW Airport. Granted Traffic may be heavy on the ride to the Airport, but it's still pretty close. There is also a TRE station in Richland Hills, and they are talking about putting more rail lines in the future. I don't know much about Dallas county or Collin county, but Plano isn't that far from DFW either.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 58,024 times
Wink Moving to Dallas Metroplex

Dallas has all kinds of people. They even accept us ex-NewYorkers. I've lived in Dallas for almost 13 years, and there are lots of us here.

My husband used to travel a lot out of DFW too. That's why we chose Coppell. The school district is very good, and the houses are very nice as well. There are lots of activities that allow you to get to know people as well. The commute to DFW Airport is only about 15 minutes. Grapevine and Flower Mound are nice as well. All have lots of sidewalks, cafes and most of SHOPPING! See ya at Grapevine Mills Mall!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM

23 posts, read 87,423 times
NE Tarrant---where in NW PA? My husband and I have lived in Pittsburgh for the last 9 years but are originally from Warren/Warren area?

Old 07-03-2007, 05:00 AM

15 posts, read 28,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkjc View Post
NE Tarrant---where in NW PA? My husband and I have lived in Pittsburgh for the last 9 years but are originally from Warren/Warren area?
I lived in Oil City (Venango County) for 4 years. Before that I lived in Eastern PA near Scranton (Susquehanna County) this is where I grew up.

I have to say though, I'm in love with Texas

Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 AM

23 posts, read 87,423 times
So glad to hear you are in love with Texas. We are hoping to be down there by September 1rst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas